Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Duals on a Low Rider??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010 | 11:29 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain

This is going to be fun to watch... I do like the look of duals.

Old 06-02-2010 | 10:27 AM
rayraywhite1
Stage I

It can be done with a little finesse. I just pulled it off on my 2001 Dyna. My bike is a retro looking FLH kinda sorta. As far as the duals go you have to move the electrical box back an inch and raise the coil right up to the frame. The only other thing is that your left passenger peg will now be right on the pipe so moving it elsewhere will be a necessity. You will also need to fabricate sturdy mounts for the weight of the duals that extend back from the frame next to the swingarm. My rearmost mounts are on the bottom of my saddlebag mounts, otherwise with no bags you will have to mount something on the line of early FLH lower mounting brackets left and right. I have to say the look is amazing and well worth the work.

Old 06-02-2010 | 10:49 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Ray Ray ... c'mon ... no pics ...? WTF!

Sounds pretty cool, let's have a look ....

R/
'Chop

Old 06-02-2010 | 06:50 PM
HDTech74
Tourer

you're right the older softails used to come with a bent shift rod.
softails have a provision on the frame to bolt a bracket too for a true dual.
and the touring bike mounts it to the lower saddle bag bracket.

why would you want to ruin a dyna with true duals?
you'd have no cornering clearance thats for sure.

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:25 PM
U-234
Road Warrior

Yes, rayray. I would like to see. Even though it won't do me much good because of the difference in the years.

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:28 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rayraywhite1
It can be done with a little finesse. I just pulled it off on my 2001 Dyna. My bike is a retro looking FLH kinda sorta. As far as the duals go you have to move the electrical box back an inch and raise the coil right up to the frame. The only other thing is that your left passenger peg will now be right on the pipe so moving it elsewhere will be a necessity. You will also need to fabricate sturdy mounts for the weight of the duals that extend back from the frame next to the swingarm. My rearmost mounts are on the bottom of my saddlebag mounts, otherwise with no bags you will have to mount something on the line of early FLH lower mounting brackets left and right. I have to say the look is amazing and well worth the work.
Where's the pics man? How do we know that it's really been 'pulled off'... really!?

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 06-02-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2010 | 08:46 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

I agree the Softail is the way to go. I looked a Deluxe over that had true duals and the rear pipe hugs the jugs nice and tight. My thoughts were leading me towards using the factory duals from a Springer Heritage or the likes. The only thing that makes me hesitate is hanging the left muffler, not sure where you could anchor it.

Old 06-02-2010 | 10:03 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Rick:

I think it would be easier to do on an '05 or earlier model ... the passenger footpegs are mounted on an arm that comes up from the bottom rear of the frame ... that could possibly be used for a hanger for the pipe and muffler ....

In '06 the MoCo switched to mounting the passenger pegs on the swingarm ... so that's not a real viable option for the later models ....

Come to think of it, maybe a bracket could be designed that would mount on the primary case ... in fact, that would be a better option since the pipe should be mounted to vibrate with the drivetrain ....

R/
'Chop

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:11 PM
DirtbagPW
Intermediate

How's the progress Brian? I've been thinking of doing this to my bike for a couple of years.

Rayray,

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:22 PM
confederate
Most Wanted

Very interesting thread. Bookmarked it so that I can see the results. I am kinda diggin the thought of havin duals with CFR cans.

Quick Reply: Road King Duals on a Low Rider??