Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing headlight and housing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing headlight and housing...

I was about to install a 7" headlight and housing on my '09 FXDB and was wondering if anyone had any helpful info or pictures of how exactly the easiest way to do this would be. I have to take the bulb and wiring out first to get the housing refinished first also. Any input or info would be appreciated (hoping to avoid $100+ in charges from the dealer to do this)...

Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
bord3r
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
I was about to install a 7" headlight and housing on my '09 FXDB and was wondering if anyone had any helpful info or pictures of how exactly the easiest way to do this would be. I have to take the bulb and wiring out first to get the housing refinished first also. Any input or info would be appreciated (hoping to avoid $100+ in charges from the dealer to do this)...

#1 dont use the stealer #2 go to custom chrome and order a whole new headlight for under 75 bucks cut old harness plug and play

Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 PM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer

im changing mine out this week and i plan on just removing the wires from the plug that plug into the back of the bulb, pull the wires thru the the back of the old headlight, put them thru the back hole of the new headlight and re connect the headlight plug. only 3 wires in the connector on the back of the bulb and they are fairly easy to get out of the connector.
J

Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't cut and splice any of the wires. Just use the wires and plugs from the stock headlight. That's what I did and it worked out great.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by bord3r
#1 dont use the stealer #2 go to custom chrome and order a whole new headlight for under 75 bucks cut old harness plug and play
This is the whole unit, identical to CC, But I have to refinish since I want it in Black. I have all pictured..I just have no idea whatsoever how to connect , or where to connect the harness or how to access..

Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
I wouldn't cut and splice any of the wires. Just use the wires and plugs from the stock headlight. That's what I did and it worked out great.
They come out easily and work OK with the 7" unit them? I haven't yet removed the old unit, but does the gasket and wires pull right out of the old bucket? That would make life real easy. Do I have to still lift the tank somehow?

Last edited by DeathProof72; 05-17-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
bord3r
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt know thats what you were trying to do lol... it should just twist and slide out... mine did on the oem fat bob headlight's i went to a single headlight and used my stock wire harness but i had to swap to a street bob front harness it was kinda confusing on my end

Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bord3r
i didnt know thats what you were trying to do lol... it should just twist and slide out... mine did on the oem fat bob headlight's i went to a single headlight and used my stock wire harness but i had to swap to a street bob front harness it was kinda confusing on my end
I don't suppose you still have your old Fat Bob headlights and want to sell them?

I have UK-spec headlights and they have single filament lamps in them (one light for dipped, one for main) and would like to change to US-spec (both have dipped and main).

Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72

I did this on my 07' SB. Disassemble the stock headlamp connector. The fat portion of the wire grommet is on the inside, but you can work it out with a blunt screw driver with out any damage if you take your time, I sprayed the grommet with some silicone spray lube and just pulled it out the back and then just pull it through the back of the new housing also using the same spray lube. I am pretty sure I posted some not so good pics of this a while back.
CB

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 PM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer

did mine today and it is easy with patience...will get some pics up soon...
J

Quick Reply: Changing headlight and housing...