Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow !! Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Very simply put-To each his own.

I rode for over 30 years wearing a helmet-1/2, 3/4, anf fullface. While the ff surely protects the most, it also blocks the most. Blocks air, ventilation and visibility. Anyone saying its the same is just kidding themselves. And anyone thinking wearing any plastic
'brain bucket' is going to save you if you go down at 70, or get hit headon, or get T boned riding full throttle through an intersection, well guess again. Of course there are very few absolutes, but odds are your melon is going to split, or your brains will be scrambled inside your skull inside your brain bucket.

A good buddy of mine raced professionally, mostly moto, but also oval. Always wore a ff. After a couple of wrecks, he is now a shell of what he once was. His brain is scrambled. Never broke his plastic lid, but his brains still got scrambled. He was an outstanding rider and super wrench. Now he struggles to remember names and has a tough time in general.

I still wear one on the highway or if I legally have to. but generally I go lidless because I realize they only sometimes make a difference, and I always want to feel the freedom, and if I go down in a serious wreck, rather than be crippled and scrambled, I'd rather be cremated.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Very simply put-To each his own.

I rode for over 30 years wearing a helmet-1/2, 3/4, anf fullface. While the ff surely protects the most, it also blocks the most. Blocks air, ventilation and visibility. Anyone saying its the same is just kidding themselves. And anyone thinking wearing any plastic
'brain bucket' is going to save you if you go down at 70, or get hit headon, or get T boned riding full throttle through an intersection, well guess again. Of course there are very few absolutes, but odds are your melon is going to split, or your brains will be scrambled inside your skull inside your brain bucket.

A good buddy of mine raced professionally, mostly moto, but also oval. Always wore a ff. After a couple of wrecks, he is now a shell of what he once was. His brain is scrambled. Never broke his plastic lid, but his brains still got scrambled. He was an outstanding rider and super wrench. Now he struggles to remember names and has a tough time in general.

I still wear one on the highway or if I legally have to. but generally I go lidless because I realize they only sometimes make a difference, and I always want to feel the freedom, and if I go down in a serious wreck, rather than be crippled and scrambled, I'd rather be cremated.
have a MMA fighter punch you in the back of your head with no helmet, then have him punch you wearing a DOT helmet, and see if you can tell any difference

nothing's absolute, but to say a FF won't help protect an otherwise unprotected skull upon impacting anything ain't too bright (trying to put it nicely). no need to try and convince others not to wear a FF (or other helmet) but don't spread misinformation either.

a DOT 'works' because the shell takes the initial damage, and spreads that force through the padding (why it makes you look like a mushroom, padding needs to be thick to work) so that once those forces get to your skull they are spread out and reduced. (same concept as body armor)

if you don't have access to a MMA fighter, bash your head into a concrete wall with, and then without a helmet, and see which you prefer? Just 'cause you go down at 70, doesnt mean you wont slow down somewhat prior to the first impact - yes, impact with a solid/stationary object at 70 isnt going to matter much ...but if you bounce your head on the ground a few times etc it may just make all the difference

Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Wow, this thread just went South, but well played...

Don't know if I fueled it - not my intention. Understand no helmet's a 100% guarantee for accident survival. Just wanted to give my .02 on the subject & why I choose to wear the style.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear my full face when it is cool out, a good chance of rain that day, going to be very much interstate riding or going on a long trip. I have speakers mounted in it so its nice to listen to music.

Still times I enjoy wearing my half helmet so its nice to have both. Been looking for a 3/4 style that I like as well but havent found one yet. Buddy just bought one of the helicopter style ones with a flip down visor and likes it. I might give it a try for when its hotter out but dont want my half helmet.

Might try this for summer when wanting more than a half

Last edited by bberck; 05-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a 1/2 now, did the first 1000 miles with a FF and then switched to the 1/2. there is no comparison. I really like the 1/2, see better, more comfortable, but can't here crap. I have to run earplugs or mp3. I think I am gonna go for a 3/4 asap or a fulface, probem I run into Is that I really wanna try them on before I buy and I do not have alot of options. saftey is my concern now.......

Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife and I have the Arai 3/4 with the J&M speakers. Very comfotable. Tried the FF but it was not for me. We also have the Scorpion 1/2 helmet. This one has the flip down visor.
As for the hearing issue, been wearing ear plugs for quite some time. Read many articles about hearing loss. If not protected, each time you lose a little more and a little more. Hearing is one of those things that once it is gone, it is gone. The loss is so gradual it sneaks up on you.
Glad to see more folks with helmets. I know it is a personal choice for some and required by for others.
Stay safe...

Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a non-DOT helmet. Super light, fits well, probably illegal.

Let's face it guys, riding a motorcycle is dangerous. If we were all that concerned about being safe and cozy we'd stay home and play video games all day.

The whole idea (to me) of riding is experiencing the freedom -- The freedom from confinement in a cage, the freedom to see all around you, the freedom to breathe and smell the air -- All kinds of different freedoms on a bike that you just can't experience in a cage.

The freedom to get caught in a rainstorm that reminds you of a cow peeing on a flat rock, the freedom to freeze your nutz off, the freedom to get smacked in the face by a bug the size of an Apache helicopter -- And the freedom to get your skull smashed if you're unlucky.

Freedom isn't always safe. Either on a motorcycle or -- Otherwise.

But, like the contortionist says -- To each his own.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm not the best looking guy on earth, but I'm sure dragging my face along the pavement isn't going to improve anything so I've always worn a FF. I have a HJC and the visor comes off easily so most of the time I rode without the visor and use riders sunglasses. It's the sunglasses that block my vision, If I put the visor on and ride with no glasses I can't believe how much side to side vision I have. Everyones head is different.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 AM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that no protection is foolproof. On the other hand, I've seen motorcycle racers take 150 MPH get offs with minimal damage to them although they are wearing full armor. I also have friends that have wrecked or been hit by cars. All of those guys were wearing FF helmets, and still have their faces even after sliding or being airborne. None of them has said, "heck I wish I had only a hh or no helmet."

My rule is I wear as much protection that I can without being unsafe. That is if you are going to pass out from heat, maybe you don't wear a fully armored jacket and pants! If you really can't see with a ff, then maybe a hh is right for you. Personally, I see no difference in my ability to see cars with a ff, and I always do a full head check before I change lanes. For sure I hear much better with my ff with the wind noise taken out except at very low speeds.

Style is very subjective, so everyone has to make their choice about whether no helmet, hh, is more "cool" or not.

That being said, I've previously ridden bikes with ABS, so I can't say my current bike is as safe either! Especially since I had my ABS stop me straight in more than one occasion. My fix for that is not to ride in less pleasant conditions and leave more stopping distance margins.

But, like I said, I plan to wear a hh in town at low speeds, but it won't be to be more stylish or to be "safer".

Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said, different strokes for different folks. My reason for the thread was to shed light on MY misconception of full face helmets hoping it would enlighten others and help them make an intelligent decision based upon their findings. Not to start bashing or bad mouthing opinions that are not agreeable. Lets keep it nice and if you can add anything beneficial please do but not be antagonistic. Cheers

Quick Reply: Wow !! Full Face Helmet