Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow !! Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been ridin with a FF Simpson outlaw for about 4 years now...fu**in love it! Sometimes I miss the wind blowin in my face...so I just pop my visor up! Too many dumb a** drivers on the road & I don't trust one of em!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a HJC full face on highway trips or cold weather, a half for local summertime. I've always had full helmets riding sportbikes, I couldn't imagine doing triple digits without one. We don't have a helmet law and last week was not good around here.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

I came off sport bikes so the FF was not only natural...but set me a part from the other cruiser riders I work with. I talked my father into a FF and we are the only two out of about 20 cruiser riders to wear one.

Meh...I don't care what others think about my style. I'm the type that does my own thing since I do wear a brown jacket too.

I was getting ribbed by another guy I work with the other day when he saw me walking out to my bike holding my helmet. He said I must ride a crotch rocket. Nope...HD. He said...Vrod then. Nope! SB.

I love my FF, I can hear my MP3 player and it cuts the noise down enough with the noise iso ear plugs.....

that my recent hearing test came back perfect. I am also a firearms instructor and compete as well. So...I am careful with my hearing.

I have two. One is a 707 and the other is a Suomy.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:36 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts

This thread amazes me! I have posted similar comments about FF helmets for several years. But my comments usually provoked smarta$$ remarks such as "You must look like a power ranger". Or nonsense about reduced hearing or vision.

Ron

Old 05-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
This thread amazes me! I have posted similar comments about FF helmets for several years. But my comments usually provoked smarta$$ remarks such as "You must look like a power ranger". Or nonsense about reduced hearing or vision.

Ron

Yeah....screw em'.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Originally Posted by rjg883c

Ron
My kids - 5 & 7 asked if they can try the race car helmet on. I chuckled and let them play with it and they realized shortly after it matched the bike and was my new moto helmet.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 AM
HD4GD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 weeks ago I was about to leave home for work and walked back into the house to get my full face helmet because I had to spit out too many bugs the day before wearing a doo-rag. A large truck cut into my lane. I could either hit the truck or put my low rider down. I rode her down at 35 mph in rush hour traffic and my head bounced off the pavement 3 times, first on left side of face shield and 2 times in my left temple area. I was wearing a Scorpion EXO 700 and I know it saved my life. I was extremely fortunate to only suffered road rash on left arm and leg and a couple fractured ribs and deep bruise on left hip. Insurance paid to replace my helmet and I just bought the Shoei X-11. Still waiting for the bike to be repaired. I also give my HD and the strength of the extended highway pegs for saving my leg. I will be wearing a helmet from now on!

Just to clarify: In Arizona we don't have to wear a helmet and until this accident I usually didn't wear one because I too love the wind in my hair and the unrestricted vision and movement. This event showed me that at less than highway speeds and with this type of impact the helmet works as advertised. I went down as a reaction to someone else's action and because of this I will wear the helmet in the future. My choice, my decision. I believe in the freedom to ride and the wearing of a helmet should be your choice not a law!
Ride Safe,
Greg

Last edited by HD4GD; 05-16-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
jim425
Tourer

Some FFs aren't very quiet, so don't assume they will be!

I recently bought a half helmet mostly for riding to work in town in stop and go traffic at 30-40. I did ride on some backroads up to 50 or so and found I have to have ear plugs. Research on the internet and hear shows you can expect hearing loss if you don't use ear plugs at highway speeds. I bought Radian moldable ear plugs off ebay for $15, and they work well and are comfortable. I don't really have a solution for the bugs in the face at 60 other than a face shield and at that point, I might as well have my FF. Luckily I didn't get hit by a rock in my testing! Those are pretty cool although there is still noticable wind compared to my FF. I have had a rock hit my FF in the past!

BTW, Shoei helmets like the X-Eleven are relatively quite with the more basic model Shoei helmets being even quieter. But, I do like the vents and spoiler on the X-Eleven. The spoiler really makes a difference without a windshield.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 AM
gnip
Cruiser

Hey Greg!

Glad your still here, hope the ribs feel better.

See if you can keep the old helmet and hang it in the garage! The only helmet I regret getting rid of is the one that saved my face in a lay down. Would have been nice to show the kids.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I know what you mean about the sand, bugs, howling wind, and being able to wear your regular galsses but I couldn't get used to the FF I bought a few years back. Glad it worked for you.

Quick Reply: Wow !! Full Face Helmet