Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow !! Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
Made the mistake of taking off with the FF and the textile jacket this morning because of some wet weather brewing. Unfortunately, everything cleared up two hours later and the ride home in traffic and sun was harsh. Visor up, Visor down, all vents fully opened, nothing was helping at all.

No saddlebags on the bike to dump stuff either. First time I've been happy about arriving home after a ride.

what was the temp up there today? 80*?

wow, how'd you survive the brutality of that kind of heat!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 AM
joe297
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always worn a full face helmet. It's only the past few years that I've started wearing a half helmet during the summer. No question the full face offers better protection. I've yet to find one that doesn't quickly turn into a sweat box. That's why it's been related to mostly spring/fall riding and rainy weather.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Punchsmack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mixter
You guys should check out Designer Helmets.com they have some wicked half and full face helmets...look at craft, caberg, osbe, momo etc...
Dang, that Roof V8 helmet is awesome looking. Sure, it might not fit the "look" of a Harley rider, but I'd sport that thing all the time. My nephew has a HD modular helmet and it seems flimsy up front and you can't ride with the front up (obviously). With the Roof, the front swings all the way back behind the helmet, so it's a full face AND a 3/4 helmet. Plus, it passed DOT and Snell tests (not officially marked as such, but it did pass both test unofficially).

If it weren't crazy expensive, and me being broke, I'd order one right now. Maybe I'll have to get lucky on eBay.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

I've been waiting to comment on this thread for a long time. I have had moderate success over the years with my 3/4 helmet and sport windscreen on my streetbob, but you guys have peaked up my interest in the full face with no windscreen. Now I have tried this before, and I hated it, but that's all dependant on the helmet, as I have learned. So after a lot of reviews, and your recommendations, man I bought a shoei x11 a couple weeks back for 4 bills on closeout.
All I can say, is DAMN!!!!!!
I friggin love this helmet, it's lightweight, you slide it on, the interior is like plush, the view is not restricted at all, you throw the lid down and it's like air tight, no noise in there, and most of all, when I'm rolling, this thing has so many vents on it, it's like airconditioning, I have not gotten hot, sweaty or even fogged. I live in houston, hot, humid *** weather, the only thing I do at a long light is flip it the visor a couple clicks. Couple of my buds that know a hell of a lot more on motorcycling than I do, picked up the helmet, and were like damn dude, you bought one of the best helmets on the market, you suck. Hahahaahaha.
I have rode it the last few weeks without my shield, and although the bugs have been playing hell on my visor, I dig this full face helmet with no shield deal.
Thanks for this thread, since this got my interest in it.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member

Originally Posted by cactusred
I have rode it the last few weeks without my shield, and although the bugs have been playing hell on my visor, I dig this full face helmet with no shield deal.
My FXDC had a shield on it when I bought it and I've always used the HD full-face modular since day one, so I've never known it any other way. Took the shield off to do some front end work this weekend and didn't put it back on yet. A little bit of head wobble I didn't expect, but a truly different experience (better) for the short ride. I think I may put it back on for anything out of town, but yeah, that 2 inch bug that would have been blown away or deflected by the shield sure made a paintball splat on the visor.

Last edited by NeverEnoughToys; 08-10-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Grammar sux
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
tazz56
Intermediate

My full face was actually a flip up which is easier to get on, and if you get caught in traffic on a hot day you can raise just the shield or the whole front. When traffic gets moving you can pull it back down and you're back to the benefits of a full face. Mine has a short dark shield shield that helps with the bright sun and if the sun ducts behind a cloud or you come up to a tunnel you can flip the dark shield up so you can see. You get to the end of the tunnel drop it back down. I don't remember the brand right now because it's been a few years since I got hit.
Jeff

Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a Scorpion EXO-1000 FullFace for winter and a Scorpion EXO-100 half helmet with internal flip up visor for summer. Both are excellent helmets. The full face has great ventilation as well in the heat.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Fatty2008
4th Gear

Been riding since I was 5 . . . never went down until a few years ago and then I went down again about a year ago. Both wreks were low speed, but if I had not been wearing a FF, I would not have a Jaw/nose after the first wrek or a Jaw after the second wrek. Half helmets look cool but only protect the top of your head. I like my face (so does my wife and kids). I like the modular flip-up helmets. Easy to speak at stops, open up for a quick itch, or if I need to spit. Also a lot of the better modular helmets have internal (dual) face shields so I can ride at night or day with one helmet (outside shield is clear, inside retractable shield is dark).

Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
It's hard to explain to other riders who don't wear plugs just how much more enjoyable the ride is when the wind isn't tearing your ear drums out.
Tried them. Hated it.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

I have read where it is suggested to try out a helmet, by wearing it for a 1/2 an hour while walking around the store, before buying the helmet. Unfortunately that wouldn't help in testing the ventilation without walking really fast. That was a joke.

But I have seen posts from people that bought 'top of the line', expensive, helmets and were not happy with the ventilation the helmets provided. Others that bought similar helmets were satisfied. Personally my last two FF helmets were not 'top of the line', but they were not 'bottom of the line' either.

And they both worked pretty well out here in the desert. Apparently it is not an exact science and it is just too bad that it is not possible to really give a helmet a test before the purchase. My reason for posting is to give my opinion. If the helmet ventilation works as intended, it is great. Depending on a person's finances, it may be a gamble worth taking.

Ron

Quick Reply: Wow !! Full Face Helmet