Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow !! Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Post!!

I was hit off my bike by a car a few years ago. I bounced off a fence and hit the pavement head first. The chin guard of my Shoei full face took the first impact and a big lump was broken off it. I then somersaulted and came dowh with the back of my head hitting the ground hard enough to make a hole in the back of the helmet. I reckon if I'd been wearing a open face I'd have lost my jaw. If I'd been wearing no helmet at all I'd probably be dead.

I've always bought good helmets and I've never had issues with visibility or airflow. I once had one that used to whistle above 80 mph but I cured that by buying a visor that fitted better.

I've been wearing a full face since the 1970s so I guess I'm used to it. At the end of the day it's down to individual choice.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Very simply put-To each his own.

I rode for over 30 years wearing a helmet-1/2, 3/4, anf fullface. While the ff surely protects the most, it also blocks the most. Blocks air, ventilation and visibility. Anyone saying its the same is just kidding themselves. And anyone thinking wearing any plastic
'brain bucket' is going to save you if you go down at 70, or get hit headon, or get T boned riding full throttle through an intersection, well guess again. Of course there are very few absolutes, but odds are your melon is going to split, or your brains will be scrambled inside your skull inside your brain bucket.

A good buddy of mine raced professionally, mostly moto, but also oval. Always wore a ff. After a couple of wrecks, he is now a shell of what he once was. His brain is scrambled. Never broke his plastic lid, but his brains still got scrambled. He was an outstanding rider and super wrench. Now he struggles to remember names and has a tough time in general.

I still wear one on the highway or if I legally have to. but generally I go lidless because I realize they only sometimes make a difference, and I always want to feel the freedom, and if I go down in a serious wreck, rather than be crippled and scrambled, I'd rather be cremated.
I'm sorry you feel that way. It is people like you who cause such astronomical insurance rates. It is obvious that you have no actual scientific evidence, or even a basic understanding of physics. I raced for many years, and have been down more times than I care to count, at speeds up to 150 m.p.h. I am still here, and more or less intact, because I wear a helmet. I've read all the anti-helmet arguments, and can quite easily poke holes in every one, because they are spurious, and based on junk science. If you were to say that you understand the risks, know that you will die if you go down, and choose to ride lidless anyway, then I would say that it's your privilege to choose your manner of dying, and you are making an informed choice. However, to go around spouting BS trying to get others to accept that you are making an intelligent choice based on good science is irresponsible at best. Most people know better anymore, but there are still gullible young/new riders out there, some of whom will listen to you because the wind in your hair does feel good; and how can you live with yourself knowing that you caused someone's death by giving him bad advice?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Manu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

teddeoeg, as far as the x-11, it's actually a race helmet so it's been tested to preform in tucks and such. I tend to look around too much going through the back rodes, never had a problem. now my girl has the rf1000 and she loves it and it's a bit cheaper. I got both from compition accessories.com , great site and the best prices I have found

Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Ear plugs make an amazing difference on the highway.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manu
teddeoeg, as far as the x-11, it's actually a race helmet so it's been tested to preform in tucks and such. I tend to look around too much going through the back rodes, never had a problem. now my girl has the rf1000 and she loves it and it's a bit cheaper. I got both from compition accessories.com , great site and the best prices I have found
Thanks manu. I did look at the RF1000 but it appears the X11 is being discontinued and some sites (helmetexpress.com for one) have them even cheaper or the same as the RF.

My MSF instructors would still be proud of me many years after taking both courses. I really look into turns as well as check all around me when in traffic. With no windshield the 3/4 just wasn't working in that situation.

Still considering a ff but I truly appreciate the input.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice helmet, I used to wear a ff Shoei. Most of the reasons you mentioned are why I wear a beanie.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Splandman
Tourer

I don't always wear a helmet. When I do, it's a full face Scorpion. I think I'll get an X-11 though. I like the Scorpion but it doesn't flow as much air as I like. When I ride my KZ I really like the helmet. It seems like all I hear is the sound of the motor when the helmet is on.

After buying my Fat Bob I rode a couple of hundred miles one day without a helmet. The first part of the trip I was on back country roads and probably never went over 60-65 mph and had a strong wind at my back. On the way back I got on I-35 and was doing 70 into a 30 mph wind. I made it back to the office and realized when I got there I could barely hear. I had to watch peoples lips to understand what they were saying. A lot of people and the tv all sounded like they had just sucked on a helium balloon. I did not like that much.

I have been down before. It's been a while but I remember it well. I did not have a helmet on and was able to keep my head off the pavement. I slid for several feet, face first, using my forearms to keep me up a little. Lost all the skin on my palms, and down to my elbows. I was lucky that's all that happened.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:00 PM
manitobabob
Intermediate
Default If you have a $10 head....

...you can wear a $10 helmet (or not wear one at all). Having had friends die in easily survivable accidents because they were not wearing a proper lid, this 30 year old advice from a dealer is sound. I wear an Arai Astral X (superceded by the new Vector) and find it to be comfortable and reasonably quiet (although I still wear ear plugs for high speed highway driving). I guess this does not work if you are riding to make a fashion statement.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
NYdyna
Cruiser

I just p/u a ff Nolan modular helmet,fog proof, has the release up front to lift the full face off to get some fresh air whenever and also the 1-clck sunglasses/shades drop down and recoil....I absolutely love it!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
hard aground
Cruiser

Recently I sat nervously at the bottom of an intersection waiting to make a left hand turn while a huge Greyhound was bearing down behind me. He wanted to make the green light and wasn't slowing. I just prayed he saw me in the dark. He did.

Next day put some reflective tape on the back of my Shoei FF. I don't care if it looks goofy or not. It's crazy out there !

Quick Reply: Wow !! Full Face Helmet