Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow !! Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I guess it might be worth it to spend the money. I bought a $80 AFX-FX90 FF and I can't say I really like it. It felt like it restricted my head movement and visibility. That might just be because I'm use to a non DOT polo.
I can agree with that. I tried on a lot of helmets when I was shopping for a FF. I decided it was worth it to drop the money on a Shoei because it was lighter weight and didn't seem to restrict movement or vision. It really has turned me on to wearing a FF and I don't think I could go back to a half helmet for anything but maybe a quick ride down the street. I probably wouldn't have felt this way had I bought a cheaper helmet.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my helmet from http://www.helmetexpress.com/ for more than 50% off srp. Find the helmet you want and shop around. I was looking at Shoei and Arai from the advice of a friend who is very knowledgeable about them who worked in a motorcycle shop. Weight and ventilation are important. Some helmets are composite, fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar or a mix. Very pleased with my Shoei X-11 Eboz.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 AM

I was wearing a full-face when I hit a deer at 55 m.p.h. (that was the speed limit, & I never speed - not that you'll hear about in public, anyway)

The best combination of value/performance/comfort/weight/features that I've found in a FF is the HJC IS-16 that I now wear.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

I usually wear my HJS FF, now have an HD half, but have done a few miles sans helmet. There is lots of noise without any helmet..and dangerous, of course.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 AM
ADCD875
Banned

I have a Shoei TZR FF which I always wear when I ride my sportbike. With the StreetBob, I bought a Bell Drifter (half) helmet. With the half helmet I never feel protected and wind bothered me over 60mph. Seeing this thread, I guess I can go back to FF when riding the Street Bob.

Thanks everyone..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Should have worn the FF today...rain stings...so do swarms of bugs for several miles on end.

I wore my Arai Profile on Wednesday in 85+ degree temps and my head didn't get warm.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
henderson791
Banned

I also give my HD and the strength of the extended highway pegs for saving my leg. I will be wearing a helmet from now on!

-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 02-23-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: removed spam links
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because of this thread I pulled out my old Shoei RJ-Air 3/4 and picked up a flip up shield to replace the one I lost somewhere. Hung this helmet up 4-5 years ago but thought I'd give it a try as I'd rather not run my windshield most of the time and the 1/2 helmet wasn't cutting it.

One ride to work (9 miles, 1 on the interstate, balance in traffic) and I was reminded why I hung it up. Every time I turn my head to check traffic, etc. the wind catches the edge of the helmet and whips my head around.

Any similar issues with a ff, specifically the X11? That model seems to get the best feedback relative to venting which is critical here in the Florida heat.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:17 AM

3/4 helmets are notorious for this. That's one reason to go to a full-face, the air flows over them much better. They are also quieter, and often cooler (heat, not attitude) than a 3/4 with shield.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Very simply put-To each his own.

I rode for over 30 years wearing a helmet-1/2, 3/4, anf fullface. While the ff surely protects the most, it also blocks the most. Blocks air, ventilation and visibility. Anyone saying its the same is just kidding themselves. And anyone thinking wearing any plastic
'brain bucket' is going to save you if you go down at 70, or get hit headon, or get T boned riding full throttle through an intersection, well guess again. Of course there are very few absolutes, but odds are your melon is going to split, or your brains will be scrambled inside your skull inside your brain bucket.

A good buddy of mine raced professionally, mostly moto, but also oval. Always wore a ff. After a couple of wrecks, he is now a shell of what he once was. His brain is scrambled. Never broke his plastic lid, but his brains still got scrambled. He was an outstanding rider and super wrench. Now he struggles to remember names and has a tough time in general.

I still wear one on the highway or if I legally have to. but generally I go lidless because I realize they only sometimes make a difference, and I always want to feel the freedom, and if I go down in a serious wreck, rather than be crippled and scrambled, I'd rather be cremated.
Mike, you make some valid observations. A helmet might not prevent injury if a rider "go down at 70, or get hit headon, or get T boned riding full throttle through an intersection". It also might not matter if a rider is rear ended while sitting at a stop sign, or is struck by lightning.

But your point is what? Surely you don't believe that every wreck will be serious enough to leave you crippled, do you? While I totally agree it might be better to be cremated rather then only(?) receive a head injury, that is unfortunately not always the case.

Trust me on this. And I'm sure your buddy would agree if he is able to understand the issue, if there is any chance at all that helmet can help prevent a head injury that chance far outweighs any 'pleasure' the 'freedom' gives you. Especially because the 'freedom' only means anything while you are actually experiencing it.

A head injury equally only matters while you are actually experiencing it. But that is 24/7 for the rest of your life. My injury occured during a desert race. But the results of my, and your buddy, crashes while racing off road can be duplicated very easily in a minor incident in which an unhelmeted rider's head bounces off the street.

Freedom of choice is nice. Just remember it, an accident and any resulting injuries, is not so clear cut as you seem to think. So weigh the pros and cons carefully before making a choice on your course of action, your choice can have long term effects on your life. Ask your buddy how content he is with his life now.

Even if a helmet "only sometimes make a difference", sometimes that is really important. After a head injury you may not ever be able to "always want to feel the freedom". I don't care if anyone does or doesn't wear a helmet, but I hate to see anyone making a choice without a clear understanding of the possible ramifications of their choice.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-13-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Wow !! Full Face Helmet