Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow !! Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
FlatDF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HJC DOT/Snell FF all the time, but all my friends wear halfs and I never give them **** for it....however I'm one of the few (only?) guys on a Harley in my area of CT that wears one, and I catch **** for it all the time. What can I say, I like my chin and I don't like the taste of bugs. I was also saved from brain damage by my helmet while skiing about 9 years back.

The only thing I'll say to the guys who hate on the FF, is that modern FF do not restrict view in the slightest. I can't see the edge of the helmet at any point, and I have no problem turning to look over my shoulder etc. I do ride with the shield up & sunglasses on 90% of the time though. If it were a more perfect world and I didn't have close calls with people pulling in front of me etc, I'd consider a half for around town riding & the 'out in the wind experience,' but alas....

Chris

Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
16_Tri-Glide
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I rode with only FF helmets on street bikes until I got my Street Bob. Then I decided that I'd go to a 1/2 helmet because I liked the feeling of the wind in my face.

Without a quick detachable windshield on my SB, the wind noise drowned out my V & H short shot pipes and I had to wear ear plugs. With the windshield on the SB, I don't have to wear ear plugs and I can hear things around me riding at highway speeds.

But last fall they chip sealed part of the highway on the commute to work and an on coming vehicle threw a rock up and it hit me in the left ear. I had the helmet wind flap velcro'd to the helmet strap, but it still felt like my ear should have been bleeding profusely. Ever since then I've been pondering about going back to a nice vented FF helmet.

My wife noticed a FF helmet at the local Honda motorcycle shop and it has bluetooth built into it, so I think I'm going to check it out.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that's another thing. Crashing is one thing....getting hit in the head or face with flying objects is another. I've hit quite a few bugs this season so far and it's barely been warm. I couldn't imagine hitting a bigger bug at 70 MPH near my eye or mouth while trying to pass a truck. That would really suck.

I'm thinking of getting the little woman a FF for when she rides with me. She's probably not going to be on the highway much but I'd feel safer with her having one she can use.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

I wear a Shoei RF-1000. Great ventilation, not too noisy. I can hear my radio with the faceshield down. It's comfortable, and has already saved my face from road debris. I ride 750-1000 miles a week up and down I-75 here in GA, and I can't tell you how many times road crap has bounced off my faceshield. Not to mention the film of bugs I have to clean off twice a day.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Glydiator
Tourer

Originally Posted by Punchsmack
Yes, that's another thing. Crashing is one thing....getting hit in the head or face with flying objects is another. I've hit quite a few bugs this season so far and it's barely been warm. I couldn't imagine hitting a bigger bug at 70 MPH near my eye or mouth while trying to pass a truck. That would really suck.
it does suck.. i lost my glasses once (years ago) and got hit in the eye by what felt like godzilla. I was going around an off ramp about 70mph on the interstate in Indy...blind as a bat for a minute. I don't know how I made it without crashing. It was the last time I've ever ridden without eye protection.

I've mentioned before also in another thread, that I got hit in the hand by a bird while i was going about 60mph. It just glanced off and still hurt/numbed my hand.

I don't even want to think about taking a bird in the face straight on...especially going fast. I honestly think it would knock you out... or at least off the bike.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

My wife and I both wear Full Face HJC Carbon Fiber (lightweight, great fit, great quality and price). I use a clear face-shield and wear shades underneath, so when I want the wind in my face, I just lift the face-shield.
FYI, The stats show that the severity of face/head injury is in direct proportion to the type of helmet worn (FF, 3/4, half) so, although your face might look pretty in that little half helmet with the rhinestone HD logo, it might not be so pretty if it ever hits the pavement. Of course it’s your choice.

Attached Thumbnails Wow !! Full Face Helmet-hjc_ac12carbon.jpg  

Last edited by QehQeh; 05-19-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: image attached
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM
martinbrody
Advanced

When I started riding PA had a helmet law, so I bought a full face. I wore contacts and tried all kinds of half and 3/4 helmets with various eye protection but it always irritated my contacts so much I went with a FF.

When PA ditched their helmet law I tried a couple rides w/o but just didn't like it, I guess I had gotten so accustomed to the FF when I had to wear it I couldn't do without it. Without a helmet the wind wasn't loud per se but I couldn't hear anything around me. I felt like I could hear what was going on better with the helmet. Plus I never got over the wind bothering my eyes thing.

I honestly don't know how so many people around here ride without helmets, I wear it for safety but also comfort. I know some people have had the exact opposite experience, if I was way more comfortable without it and I enjoyed the ride way more without it I probably wouldn't wear one, that is why it should be up to the rider to decide.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always wear by full face helmet, It keeps my teeth in my mouth, also if you drive over 100 MPH it helps a lot with the wind. Just my two cent

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wow!! Full Face Helmet

Wow is right.....I must say....I've been wearing open face helmets of one kind or another fairly regularly for many years and then the wife bought me a HD Kevlar FF....I was really skeptical.....but thought I'd give it a go.....WHOA....what a surprize....comfort, quiet, light....may even help save what hearing I have left.....Happy to read there are converts out there like me....I may never go back.

Gary

Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to buy a new full face come fall but bought this to try out for the summer when I want more than my half helmet.

Quick Reply: Wow !! Full Face Helmet