Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer swapout.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Springer swapout.

Please let me post some new Springer information for us Dyna guys. Some of you may recall that I installed a cheap Chinese DNA Springer on my Low Rider a while back. It was cheap ($383 delivered) and needed quite a bit of modification, but I was able to get it on and working. My problem was that because of the design of the DNA's as well as most Springers, you just can't get a full sweep worth of turning radius. The bikes totally ridable, but normal turns you don't think about become three point pains. Enough of a pain that I was willing to dump the DNA and give Paughco a try. Paughco claims to have addressed the problem and makes a Springer specifically for the Dyna/Sportster necks. The problem is that they are over two grand. Fortunately, my local Indy owes me a few favors and I was able to get it brand new from Paughco and a substantial discount, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Paughco. I got it installed and took it out for its first test ride today. Let me please say this....whatever you think you know about DNA vs Paughco, unless your have owned and tried BOTH, there is absolutely ZERO comparison. After today I'm literally ashamed and embarrassed to have installed that chinese turd on my bike. The Paughco makes me feel as if I have an entirely new motorcycle. Handling, ride, cornering, comfort, style, spring noise and overall quality is SO superior on the Paughco, its shameful. Made in the USA really means something with this new front end vs the chinese import. So, let me jump off my soapbox and say this. IF you decide you want to put a Springer on your ride, be it a Dyna, Sporty or whatever.....if theres a chance you have the extra cash to buy the Paughco vs the DNA, please remember my post. There is no comparison whatsoever. In all fareness, the DNA is quite a bargin, but its no where near the quality. Heres a couple pics of the forks installed. Thanks for listening.

p.s., I still need to adjust (lower) the fender and modify the headlight mount. Once I do that, she'll be finished.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Please let me post some new Springer information for us Dyna guys. Some of you may recall that I installed a cheap Chinese DNA Springer on my Low Rider a while back. It was cheap ($383 delivered) and needed quite a bit of modification, but I was able to get it on and working. My problem was that because of the design of the DNA's as well as most Springers, you just can't get a full sweep worth of turning radius. The bikes totally ridable, but normal turns you don't think about become three point pains. Enough of a pain that I was willing to dump the DNA and give Paughco a try. Paughco claims to have addressed the problem and makes a Springer specifically for the Dyna/Sportster necks. The problem is that they are over two grand. Fortunately, my local Indy owes me a few favors and I was able to get it brand new from Paughco and a substantial discount, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Paughco. I got it installed and took it out for its first test ride today. Let me please say this....whatever you think you know about DNA vs Paughco, unless your have owned and tried BOTH, there is absolutely ZERO comparison. After today I'm literally ashamed and embarrassed to have installed that chinese turd on my bike. The Paughco makes me feel as if I have an entirely new motorcycle. Handling, ride, cornering, comfort, style, spring noise and overall quality is SO superior on the Paughco, its shameful. Made in the USA really means something with this new front end vs the chinese import. So, let me jump off my soapbox and say this. IF you decide you want to put a Springer on your ride, be it a Dyna, Sporty or whatever.....if theres a chance you have the extra cash to buy the Paughco vs the DNA, please remember my post. There is no comparison whatsoever. In all fareness, the DNA is quite a bargin, but its no where near the quality. Heres a couple pics of the forks installed. Thanks for listening.

p.s., I still need to adjust (lower) the fender and modify the headlight mount. Once I do that, she'll be finished.
They look great. Now I have the same question I asked about your DNAs. How does the ride compare to telescoping forks?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Bitchin!
Once you lower that fender and modify the headlight mount, it will be Double Dutch Bitchin.

I guess the old adage "You get what you pay" for applies.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fhansen
They look great. Now I have the same question I asked about your DNAs. How does the ride compare to telescoping forks?
For me it's Like the Saying "Once you go Springer you'll never go back".

Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys. NOW, this Paughco's ride quality is superb. Is it equall to the stock narrow glide? No. But its not that simple of an answer. The paughco weighs considerably more than the narrow glide did and even the Paughco forks does not have the travel the stock forks had. That being said, since the Paughco does have the shock, the ride quality is outstanding. Smooth as can be, stable handles extremely well. Its the wrong front end if Tail of the Dragon is your dream vacation, but its a DRASTIC improvement over the DNA. Sucks up bumps like nothing, no wobble or front end shakes, vibrations were drastically reduced even to the point that I dare say as vibration free as the stock forks....maybe even better due to the weight of the Paughco. SO, unless your a true barnstormer whose all about the corners, this Springer is a hell of a well balanced and smooth product.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work, BL. Looks bitchin' and will be better once you finish. Thanks for the honest review of how it works. Sounds like a great all around bike with that set up - just not a canyon carver.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks. Yeah, a canyon carver it ain't.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:12 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Sweet.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just throwing this at ya. Here is a nice way to mount the headlight on a Springer.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

DOH!.....well, too late now. We went on the 100 mile Special Olympics ride here in VA today and when I got home I spent some time squaring away the little stuff like getting the fender lowered down, and modified that headlight mount. That Dracula bike is cool as hell, but I was able to cut up the one I already had and I'm pretty much done with the front end for now. More tired of working on it I guess. Thanks for the help and props guys. Heres the finished front end.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Springer swapout.