Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal

I need to find out if this is true.
I just got off the phone with the service manager to set up my 1000 mile service. I told him my new 10 FXDC motor seems to vibrate a lot when I get up to about 3900 rpm. [I did the shim thing it didn't help] He said he has got a lot of complaints on some of the 09-10 Dyna on to much vibration. He said one guy told him on his 10 WG it's so bad his hands go numb. He thinks HD may be using a stiffer rubber in the motor mounts on the new Dyna's, so there isn't much he can do about it until HD addresses what ever the problem is. So other words he is telling me I'm stuck.
How many of you 09-10 Dyna owners are having what you feel is to much motor vibration ?

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 10-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they actually did change the rubber compound of the motor mounts to a harder [denser] type rubber this certainly could cause more vibes to be xmitted to the handle bars and foot pegs. I own a 2008 superglide and have had zero vibration issues with it for 17000 miles.I have been very careful not to drip oil on the front mount during oil changes, which i think has helped my isolators stay intact.When mine do require replacement i hope i can find ones made of the same rubber compound as the stock ones i currently have.Good luck resolving your problem,and please keep us informed.Note,most do not run around at 4k plus Rpms.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joesride
If they actually did change the rubber compound of the motor mounts to a harder [denser] type rubber this certainly could cause more vibes to be xmitted to the handle bars and foot pegs. I own a 2008 superglide and have had zero vibration issues with it for 17000 miles.I have been very careful not to drip oil on the front mount during oil changes, which i think has helped my isolators stay intact.When mine do require replacement i hope i can find ones made of the same rubber compound as the stock ones i currently have.Good luck resolving your problem,and please keep us informed.Note,most do not run around at 4k plus Rpms.
How do you do that exactly, remove engine first?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope it's not a new rubber issue. I just got a new front isolator and it's dated 03/15/10.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

joesride,quote
Note,most do not run around at 4k plus Rpms.
.................................................. .................................................. ........................

I don't ride my bike at 4000 rpm, I'm talking about the shift point under harder acceleration. He also told me today that with 870 miles I'm safe to run it well over 4000 rpm now, just to a shift point, but keep it under red-line, if I want to have a little fun with it. This Sunday I will. I believe red-line is around 5200 so I will keep her under 4900 rpm when I shift, just to have a little fun. What bothers me is when I get up to 3900 rpm the motor starts to vibrate and it feels like it increases as the rpm go up so I haven't went much above that. Now that I have the service managers permission to run it up...I will.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
How do you do that exactly, remove engine first?
I first rap a rag around the isolater, then i have a clear piece of plastic that i roll into a cone and slide it up over the oil filter and push it snug against the housing, then i unscrew the filter and let the oil run down the plastic into a oil pan....My bike is jacked up all the way on my J&S jack when i do this.If any oil makes it onto the isolator i take an airpressure nozzle hooked up to my air compressor and blow it off using 100psi..I have had no issues doing it this way.Some folks use a plastic soda bottle to do this.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I first rap a rag around the isolater, then i have a clear piece of plastic that i roll into a cone and slide it up over the oil filter and push it snug against the housing, then i unscrew the filter and let the oil run down the plastic into a oil pan....My bike is jacked up all the way on my J&S jack when i do this.If any oil makes it onto the isolator i take an airpressure nozzle hooked up to my air compressor and blow it off using 100psi..I have had no issues doing it this way.Some folks use a plastic soda bottle to do this.
Ok, Im gonna play stupid for a moment (not that hard to do lol). Why would getting a little oil on the isolator be bad? Wouldn't a drip or two of oil help keep the rubber soft as opposed to dripping gas on it that would dry it up prematurely.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test ride a couple of Dyna's on the showroom for comparision. Then use that as an example to the service manager.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you know things can be much easier... Ok run the bike to hot then drain the oil, now wait a little while, the bike will cool down a bit. Now it's time to remove the filter. Break the oil filter by loosening it a tad. Next step, surround the oil filter with a grocery plastic bad and remove by hand. Now you have no oil spilled anywhere and the filter removed... replace and enjoy!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by icecaps
Test ride a couple of Dyna's on the showroom for comparision. Then use that as an example to the service manager.
That's a great idea. I got to wait around for the service any way. I hope they let me try one.

Quick Reply: Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal