Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny
Mine vibrates really bad, and dealer says it's normal, but my friend has the same bike with similar mods, and his is as smooth as glass. When we traded bikes for a few blocks, he gave mine back and said "WTF, you need to get that looked at"
If you are handy with tools,.... check your crank runout.

If you have to count on the dealer, and he ain't helping,..... perhaps it's trade-in time. I darn sure wouldn't live with it.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
reissman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 Fatbob vibrates a lot. My mirrors are always vibrating to the point unless I am at cruising speed its hard to focus in them. I just assumed it was part of owning a Harley. I have driven a couple other touring bikes and they seemed to vibrate just as much. Overall It doesn't bother me and I never thought twice about it.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by reissman
My 09 Fatbob vibrates a lot. My mirrors are always vibrating to the point unless I am at cruising speed its hard to focus in them. I just assumed it was part of owning a Harley. I have driven a couple other touring bikes and they seemed to vibrate just as much. Overall It doesn't bother me and I never thought twice about it.
08 Heritage. Smooth as glass since day one.

Y'all got the infamous crank issues that HD has been fighting for years.
They even raised the "spec" numbers to allow higher runouts (to avoid paying for warranty replacements).

Do some research.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All the dealers in my area were no help. Had several tell me "Yeah, sounds like your front mount is bad, we can change that out for ya" I bring the bike in, and they say "just so you know...you have to pay for parts and labor, since the mount LOOKS ok, moco won't warranty it." WTF. They gave me the same BS about the crank runout, too, and I can't afford all that labor cost, especially when I had a warranty. Now that my warranty is expired, I actually feel better!
And yes, I can work on my own bike, and prefer it that way. Front mount looks trashed to me, so gonna change that, and go from there.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Donny
All the dealers in my area were no help. Had several tell me "Yeah, sounds like your front mount is bad, we can change that out for ya" I bring the bike in, and they say "just so you know...you have to pay for parts and labor, since the mount LOOKS ok, moco won't warranty it." WTF. They gave me the same BS about the crank runout, too, and I can't afford all that labor cost, especially when I had a warranty. Now that my warranty is expired, I actually feel better!
And yes, I can work on my own bike, and prefer it that way. Front mount looks trashed to me, so gonna change that, and go from there.
Please let us know how it works out. I'm hoping the mount cures it.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Rich8484
Novice

on my streetbob, I feel a vibration in the gips and hear a groaning sound from the front end when cruising through long turns....brought it to the dealers attention. Tech took my bike out for a ride and told me that it's just the nature of the beast. Salesman said that might go away after my tires break in after the first 1000. Currently have 400 miles on her...

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
love4steel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rich8484
on my streetbob, I feel a vibration in the gips and hear a groaning sound from the front end when cruising through long turns....brought it to the dealers attention. Tech took my bike out for a ride and told me that it's just the nature of the beast. Salesman said that might go away after my tires break in after the first 1000. Currently have 400 miles on her...
if you got a new streetbob... its your michelin scorcher tires

Old 09-06-2010, 02:34 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've come to the Fat Bob from a Honda VFR750. When I first tested one it I looked like a bucking broncho or something. The mirrors looked like they were vibrating at least an inch.

Don't even notice it now.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer65
there is an Article in America rider byJjoe Minton( I think I got the name right) well anyway the article is about doing AC and pipes. He say that the pipes they used on the FXD are Cycle Shack pipe who used to make them for harley's SE line, he also say that these pipe are heavy compared to other aftermarket one, the weigh of the pipes cuts down on the Vibes. Because harley designs the engine and pipes to work together to cut vibes, so it u put on a lighter set odf pipes it throws the motor out of balance. kinda makes sense.

it i can find the article i will paste it here
that might be true, I feel it on my sportie when I change the stock pipes to lighter ones and back - the vibes definitely change with the pipes (rpm ranges and intensity). sadly, I don't have the stock pipes for the dyna, but I guess it would be the same.

by the way, I have short shots on the dyna and no bad vibes since I shimmed the front mount and did the 'loosen all bolts jack it up and run the engine for 20 seconds' thing.

cheers

Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joesride
If they actually did change the rubber compound of the motor mounts to a harder [denser] type rubber this certainly could cause more vibes to be xmitted to the handle bars and foot pegs. I own a 2008 superglide and have had zero vibration issues with it for 17000 miles.I have been very careful not to drip oil on the front mount during oil changes, which i think has helped my isolators stay intact.When mine do require replacement i hope i can find ones made of the same rubber compound as the stock ones i currently have.Good luck resolving your problem,and please keep us informed.Note,most do not run around at 4k plus Rpms.
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! A Dyno with zero vibrations--what a lucky guy! My '05 FXDLI was so bad out of the box that Harley completely changed the engine at 2500 miles. Seems there was a flywheel issue that year. Now it is "pretty" smooth at all speeds with the exception of 50-60 (most vibs at 55 in 5th gear). However, at 60+ it really smooths out. I have the Kuryakyn mirrors and usually I know there is something behind me but not really sure what it is. My left hand will go a little numb if I ride a long period of time in the 55 mph range but not to the point it is totally distracting.

Quick Reply: Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal