Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Dyna FXD

I have an 09 FXD and I do not have any excessive vibration. I had an '01 Sportster rigid mount. It had a little more vibration. I only have 2300 miles on her now but I will keep an eye on it.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

My buddy had a 07 fxd that started vibrating real bad and it was the isolator mount bolts loosened up a bit. I'm going to go out on limb here and say it's not your aftermarket pipes causing it. Does'nt sound like the service manager is very interested in fixing the problem to come up with a lame azz excuse like the pipes are causing it. I am going to put short shots on my street bob this winter so if it suddenly starts vibrating when I do I will be one step ahead of the curve thanks to that tech. And I get no real vibes from either one of my bikes.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I need to find out if this is true.
I just got off the phone with the service manager to set up my 1000 mile service. I told him my new 10 FXDC motor seems to vibrate a lot when I get up to 4100 rpm. [I did the shim thing it didn't help] He said he has got a lot of complaints on the 09-10 Dyna on to much vibration. He said one guy told him on his 10 WG it's so bad his hands go numb. He thinks HD is using a stiffer rubber in the motor mounts on the new Dyna's, so there isn't much he can do about it until HD addresses the problem. So other words he is telling me I'm stuck.
How many of you 09-10 Dyna owners are having what you feel is to much motor vibration ?
deleted

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 09-01-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having no vibration problems at all. It tracks perfect down the road and no shaking at all. When it starts I no where to look thanks to this site.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
oldguyalso
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dreamer65
My bike didn't vibe until I started reading this freaking thread
Now that's Funny!! .... But that kinda like life someone states something and then you focus on a "problem" and convince yourself that it is there

Last edited by oldguyalso; 09-03-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I once read on here that the type of pipe and the length of the pipe can distort the harmonics and cause vibrations. Not sure if I am remembering right Tried search but couldn't find anything my .02

Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there is an Article in America rider byJjoe Minton( I think I got the name right) well anyway the article is about doing AC and pipes. He say that the pipes they used on the FXD are Cycle Shack pipe who used to make them for harley's SE line, he also say that these pipe are heavy compared to other aftermarket one, the weigh of the pipes cuts down on the Vibes. Because harley designs the engine and pipes to work together to cut vibes, so it u put on a lighter set odf pipes it throws the motor out of balance. kinda makes sense.

it i can find the article i will paste it here

Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

joesride,quote
Note,most do not run around at 4k plus Rpms.
.................................................. .................................................. ........................

I don't ride my bike at 4000 rpm, I'm talking about the shift point under harder acceleration. He also told me today that with 870 miles I'm safe to run it well over 4000 rpm now, just to a shift point, but keep it under red-line, if I want to have a little fun with it. This Sunday I will. I believe red-line is around 5200 so I will keep her under 4900 rpm when I shift, just to have a little fun. What bothers me is when I get up to 3900 rpm the motor starts to vibrate and it feels like it increases as the rpm go up so I haven't went much above that. Now that I have the service managers permission to run it up...I will.

6 pages, and no one mentioned crank runout?

Check your crankshaft runout!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Nialfire
Advanced

Thanks, that's another new Dyna with out to much vibs. I'm having trouble with my Dealer telling me he thinks Harley put stiffer motor mounts on the 09-10's

I'd be inclined to ride to another dealer and tell um your on a road trip and are concerned then have them ride it.

My 08 feels great when accelerating "all the way", ***** out with no more throttle to spare 1-2-3-4-5. I do feel some vibration when cruising but nothing really to speak of, I just keep the R's up a tad bit and she smooths out and purr's.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine vibrates really bad, and dealer says it's normal, but my friend has the same bike with similar mods, and his is as smooth as glass. When we traded bikes for a few blocks, he gave mine back and said "WTF, you need to get that looked at"

Quick Reply: Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal