Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2009 FXDC. No vibration problems. Ride characteristics change from day to day, but no worries.

Bones

Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 246 Posts

Up-Date
OP here. I'm up to 3900 miles and the high rpm vibes are the same. I did the front mount shim thing and it did cut down on handlebar shake but did nothing for the high rpm motor vibes. My bike runs good and I love it except for the motor vibe. Last week I got in to a little race with one of the guys, to see who could get to 100 first, as I got up to about 85 to 90 mph in 4th the motor vibes was so bad I had to let up, and let him pass me, but I had him up to then. From what I can tell that would be about 4800 rpm. I'm taking in to have it Dyno tuned in 2 weeks and maybe that will help with the motor vibes.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 10 WG runs smooooth as a baby's bottom

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

GPH....can you check clearance between the motor mount and the top of the isolator?

Pics:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7189044-post16.html

Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I've often joked that if my bike vibrated and less, I'd sell it! I have counterbalancers in the FatBoy, and whenever possible, I ride in the lowest part of the power band that will not cause the engine to lug and can still pull cleanly. That creates the greatest amount of low end shake and the torque pulses feel great. To me, that's much of the Harley feel. Revving the thing does relatively little to aid performance, and it causes some buzzing vibration, rather than the aforementioned throbbing kind. I just upshift, and the buzz stops. At no time, though, do I feel a steady state vibration in hands, feet, or seat at highway speeds. If I hold out 2nd or 3rd, let's say because a stop sign or red light is approaching, I get some of the "multi-cylinder" type buzz which is my least favorite sensation. Occassionally, I'll shift down if I can from 2nd to neutral as I am stopping to avoid that RPM range.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser

Went on a 4100 mile ride and if it wasn't for the " cruise control" my right hand would go numb after about .....2-3 hours. no really no problems with the vibes ,just changed to apes and it actually feels a little lighter on the vibes

Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM
love4steel
Cruiser

michelin scorchers cause bad vibes... im not sure which dyna's have em, but just in case its another culprit to examine

Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 AM
frankf
Advanced
Default Vibs

I'm going thru this with an 07 Dyna Custom. The clutch and break levers seem like they will vibrate off the bike between 30 and 40 mph. Makes my hands numb. Vibrates way more than my 2000 Wide Glide that I sold. Bike has 12k miles.

Thought it was the TrueTrack. Had them take it off, then align the drive line and motor, replaced the front motor mount. Still vibrating.

Today they will be measuring crank shaft play to see if the crank is bad.

Have owned many Harley's. This one vibrates way more than any of the others ever has. I'm curious of this one. They changed the cranks in 06 with the 96inch motor.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Harley's vibrate?

+1 on the dealers must be getting tired of hearing: "My Harley vibrates."

While my '09 FXDC vibrates enough at idle to throw parts off the bike, there are no abnormal vibrations through the usable rpm range. I never run it near red-line. Have only had it up to 90mph.

For anyone having abnormal vibration issues, I would encourage them to re-check any and all mods they've made; look for anything which could restrict engine movement within its' mounts. And understand that every engine has its' own vibration signature; some of that is due to manufacturing tolerances; some is due to how the break-in was done.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
JonV
Tourer

Just tell them you want to test ride a bike while yours is being serviced. I have an 09 FXD, haven't noticed any excessive vibration

Quick Reply: Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal