Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Just curious - what were your former bikes? While I don't have what I consider to be excessive vibration from my 07 FXDB it is by no means the smoothest bike I've ridden. My 04 FLHTI and 09 FLHTC and even my 02 Shadow 750 ACE were certainly smoother. Now my 82 FXRS and a friend's Ural have much more vibration than the Dyna. It's all relative - need to put comparative statements into context.
'76 650 Kaw, '74 Honda 750, '79 Lowrider and been on several other bikes. Hadn't rode for 20 years when I got my 2009 FXDC last summer. Was really amazed at how smooth the ride was. Cruising at 75 mirrors buzz just a bit, hardly messes up the view. I've had no vibration problems, knock on wood.

Bones

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Rangerdan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Just curious - what were your former bikes? While I don't have what I consider to be excessive vibration from my 07 FXDB it is by no means the smoothest bike I've ridden. My 04 FLHTI and 09 FLHTC and even my 02 Shadow 750 ACE were certainly smoother. Now my 82 FXRS and a friend's Ural have much more vibration than the Dyna. It's all relative - need to put comparative statements into context.
My last bike was a 2002 softail custom. The vibration on my SB is more noticiable than the softail, but I always thought that is expected from a dyna. But not uncomfortable by any means.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Interesting topic, here's my views...

I was just going to post a new question, but I'll jump in and ask it here. I'm new to Harley's. I just bought a 2008 Wide Glide with 12000 miles on her. It is incredibly uncomfortable to ride. The mirrors shake throughout the rpm range. My hands are numb after 10 minutes. It shakes like a wet dog like somebody just posted, but unlike him, mine stays the same while bringing it up on rpm's and cruising. I had the opportunity to ride my friends 2003 Softail Deuce yesterday and the difference was like night and day, (took the bumps a lot better also, but we know that). The stealership said today to bring it in and see what the mechanic says after riding it, probably motor-mount issues. Just put in a Fuel Moto programmer and that didn't make a diff. There was somebody at the stealership with an '10 FXDWG, pretty well stock and I think her bike shook more than mine at idle, (for what that's worth). Just the nature of the beast perhaps?
Opinions anybody? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,078 Posts

If you want to experience the real defintion of vibration on a Harley motorcycle then go out and find somebody that will let you take their prized Knuck, Pan, or Shovel out for a quick spin around the area. I've been lucky enough to pilot all three over the years and I can absolutely state without any doubt one way or another that;
Harleys do shake and they do vibrate. That's why we love 'em.
The MOCO has done wonders with the new models when they started the major design change that took place back in 1984 with the Evo's and their rubber mounts and they've continued to improve the looks and perfomance up to the present day.
I have no idea what you or others might consider as excess vibration, but barring a major defect in your scooters running gear,Vibrations are normal. The faster you go the faster the cycles of the vibrations. Live with it or go buy a Riceburner.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

me thinks the OP just nitpicks on everything
service probally roll their eyes everytime he opens his mouth lol,just ride the damn thing,
oh by the way my o9 fxdc gets tingy at 52oo rpms

Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first got mine the vibes were so bad my feet and hands would go numb. I took it back to the dealer, they said it was normal for Dyna's. Now that it has miles on it the vibes aren't that bad.

I do have more vibes when the temp out side is below 60°. It gets worse as the temp goes down. When it's above 70°, the vibes are gone at any RPM range.

I think the motor mounts compound is affected by out side temp.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone run through the vehicle alignment procedure on those bikes suffering from higher than usual vibrations? The procedure is located in your service manual.

Or, if it's under warranty, bring it to the dealer and have them do it while you watch.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer65
me thinks the OP just nitpicks on everything
service probally roll their eyes everytime he opens his mouth lol,just ride the damn thing,
oh by the way my o9 fxdc gets tingy at 52oo rpms
OP here, Well this will be my first time in service with it, they haven't had much time to roll there eyes yet. But buy the end of the day this Tuesday they might be. I had a solid mount 2000 1200-C for years, I do know what vibration is. In fact my new Dyna vibrates just as much if not more when I run up the rpm then my old solid mount did. I just find it hard to believe a 10 Dyna vibrates like that good old solid mount did.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts

I rode about 130 miles yesterday my bike is at 1047 miles. Going to the Dealer tomorrow for the 1000 mile service.
One of the guys and most experienced Harley riders in my group took my bike for a good hard run to see if he thinks it vibs to much on higher rpm... His answer 'yes' He said I can feel the vibs suddenly get hard around 4000 rpm but 'not' to the point that I might have a motor problem. He gave me 4 reasons why he wouldn't be too wearied.
# 1 vibs start getting hard about 4000 rpm but as the rpm rise the vibs don't get harder just faster... # 2 under 4000 rpm is where I ride most of the time anyway, that one I already knew...
# 3 the motor don't make any odd noises or pinging...# 4 the bike runs great, one of the fastest stage-1 Harleys he has run in a long time. He said he had a blast on it, loved the performance of the motor but, would definitely have the Dealer document the rpm vibs at the service just in case something should go wrong. He said I don't think you will though, with a motor that runs that good if there is a problem most likely it's the mounts. I trust this guy a lot, so like some of you said, I will just drive it and have some fun... Thanks to all for your advice.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Grimknight
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 09 FXDC. I just turned 25k miles. My bike started out really smooth, shaked at idle, but that is expected. The last 3-4k miles have been HORRIBLE. Reving up to the shift point or rolling down the highway at 60mph in 6th gear, my Dyna vibrates so bad my feet, hands and butt go numb in about 15 minutes even with ISO grips and a Mustang touring seat. I expect "shakes", but not feeling the motor revs in my spine after 15 minutes. Mods include Harley chrome forward controls, ISO grips, 12" apes and Rush slipons. ALL of these were put on before the 5k mile mark, creating NO change in how the bike felt. My Dyna feels like a Pan with no grips, a leather strap for a seat and my feet resting on the jugs, NOTHING like it did for the first 20k miles. My 09 Sportster Nightster felt 100 times better than my Dyna does now...

Just got it back from the dealer after my 25k maintenance, oil dripping off front motor mount (is this really a problem?). I asked them to address the vibration and the mechanic report stated "vibration due to loose spokes. Tightened spokes." Just got home and it isn't ANY different. Guess I have to go back and explain to the mechanic that feeling vibration when reving the throttle STANDING STILL has nothing to do with wheel spokes...

Last edited by Grimknight; 08-25-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Dealer said 09-10 Dyna bad vibration normal