Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Choosing a Seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Big Green
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing a Seat

New to the forum, and have been doing a lot of searching.

I have (at most) 300 to spend on a new seat. I just picked up my 2007 Dyna Low Rider with 2400 miles on it, V&H Short pipes, mini-ape hangers, custom grips, forward controls, laced wheels, and alarm. So far the only things I have found I need to do to it are the re-location kit for a detachable sissy bar and a NEW SEAT.

It came with the Badlander seat, which looks awesome with its low profile but my butt (or lack thereof) goes to sleep in about 45 minutes. No way I can do a long trip or take a passenger.

If anything, I could use being a little further back and/or a little higher. My legs would like to stretch out a bit more than my forward controls will allow. I'm about 6' and 190 lbs.

Any suggestions on seats? I've been looking at the sundowner but worried about how thick it will look and well as if it will push me forward - something I DO NOT want. I looked at the tallboy but it looks huge. Any other ideas in my price range? Anybody have pics (I've seen one) of sundowners on a lowrider or newer Dyna? Thanks all.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2007 Low Rider. Stock seat had my butt and thighs going numb after 50 miles and having pain radiating down my left leg. I've had spinal surgery for ruptured discs.
I'm short 5'2" with a short inseam, so I'm forced to use Mid Controls. Couldn't reach the highway pegs if my life depended on it. My biggest worry was being able to be flat footed if I put the seat on.

The Sundowner is a nice wide seat giving support to your thighs. I have been able to do 280 miles with stops only for gas without problems. Sure, it looks butt ugly.....but FAR better that than suffering mile after mile.

Your other option is to purchase an Air Hawk seat cushion. They're expensive, ( new around $180.00) but it does the trick too. Was developed for handicapped people confined to wheelchairs all day. You fill it with a small amount of air to just barely lift you off the seat. It has chambers that shift the air so your ride is cushioned at all times. No pressure points to cause numbness.
Here are 2 photos. One with the Sundowner seat I finally put on last year. The other is the Air Hawk on my stock seat. I got tired of putting on and taking off the Air Hawk
cushion..... afraid someone might swipe it and the elastic straps would snap under the seat and It would be a PIA to fish them out. That's the ONLY reason I went with the Sundowner. It might look like the air cushion raised me up really high, but it squishes down to about 1/4" when you sit on it......so dont let the photo fool you.

PS. WELCOME TO THE FORUM......AND CONGRATS ON AN EXCELLENT BIKE.......NOT THAT I'M PARTIAL OR ANYTHING.

Last edited by LWOS; 05-11-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Langster
Intermediate

spend your money wisely!!! Le pera Maverick,email them direct for a price/order form.You can sit in them all day two up,over 1000km a day,unreal!!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Big Green
Advanced

Originally Posted by LWOS
I have a 2007 Low Rider. Stock seat had my butt and thighs going numb after 50 miles and having pain radiating down my left leg. I've had spinal surgery for ruptured discs.
I'm short 5'2" with a short inseam, so I'm forced to use Mid Controls. Couldn't reach the highway pegs if my life depended on it. My biggest worry was being able to be flat footed if I put the seat on.

The Sundowner is a nice wide seat giving support to your thighs. I have been able to do 280 miles with stops only for gas without problems. Sure, it looks butt ugly.....but FAR better that than suffering mile after mile.

Your other option is to purchase an Air Hawk seat cushion. They're expensive, ( new around $180.00) but it does the trick too. Was developed for handicapped people confined to wheelchairs all day. You fill it with a small amount of air to just barely lift you off the seat. It has chambers that shift the air so your ride is cushioned at all times. No pressure points to cause numbness.
Here are 2 photos. One with the Sundowner seat I finally put on last year. The other is the Air Hawk on my stock seat. I got tired of putting on and taking off the Air Hawk
cushion..... afraid someone might swipe it and the elastic straps would snap under the seat and It would be a PIA to fish them out. That's the ONLY reason I went with the Sundowner. It might look like the air cushion raised me up really high, but it squishes down to about 1/4" when you sit on it......so dont let the photo fool you.

PS. WELCOME TO THE FORUM......AND CONGRATS ON AN EXCELLENT BIKE.......NOT THAT I'M PARTIAL OR ANYTHING.

Haha, thank you. Do you, by any chance, have a side profile pic of your bike? Your bike is the only pic I have seen of a Low Rider with the sundowner seat, but I can't get a good feel from your profile picture. I would really appreciate it!

Also, did the sundowner push you forward at all as compared to the stock seat?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a wide glide seat on my Street Bob.

Got it new at a swap in exchange for my stock seat and $40 I think. Not a bad deal.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Big Green
Advanced

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
I have a wide glide seat on my Street Bob.

Got it new at a swap in exchange for my stock seat and $40 I think. Not a bad deal.
Is the stock wide glide a pretty comfortable seat for long rides?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Big Green....... the one I posted is the best one I have so far I think. Have not been able to do any riding to take more photos yet because of lousy weather here in Michigan. We had some snow flurries last Saturday. That photo was also taken BEFORE I put a shorter jiffy stand on her.......so now she'll really tilt to the left more, making a "profile" shot even harder to get. Attached are the only other shots I have of the Sundowner so far. I didn't get it until late last year. Probably not quite the profile shots you're looking for. My bike is inside a trailer right now, and it's impossible to get a side photo of the seat. I can try this weekend to get you some better shots if we're able to do some riding

One thing I can tell you is........the passengers LOVE this seat.......and.....it's big enough
that if you have a sissy bar you can put a good size bag on.

Some people say it sits you forward, but it also rolls your pelvis back. You can see it has what I call a "well" or "cup" where your rear and lower back rests up against.

I know you have limited funds. That's why I didn't suggest a Mustang or Le Pera seat. Call your Dealer. Ask if they have a Sundowner in Stock for the Low Rider. Then ride over, and ask if they would allow you to put it on your bike to try it out..or if they wont, maybe they'll put it on one of their Dyna's in the showroom and you and try it out. That's what I did and they were happy to accommodate me.
If you are concerned about leg room, Harley and Kuryakyn sell peg extensions that will put those pegs a little further out. The Parts people will be more than happy to help you select a good fit for you.

Last edited by LWOS; 05-11-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Green
Is the stock wide glide a pretty comfortable seat for long rides?
Yes, it is real good, IMO. I do about 500mile per day without an issue. Of course, I cut my teeth touring on a 2005 883C with my wife and a sundowner seat. After that, my current set up is like a Caddilac.

My wife rides with me about 95% of the time, and she has had no complaints. Still, I would bet this would be pricey, if you're able to find one.

As the guy above me said, I would go to the dealer. Most are cool enough to let you put a seat or two on the bike and sit on it and check for comfort.

PS - Keep in mind, I'm about 200lbs and my wife is only 125lbs, so take size into consideration.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

As the guy above me said
Hey DSnoopy......do you think guys would be caught DEAD riding my Green Low Rider, especially with a stuffed ( Ms. Piggy) sitting on the back of the luggage rack ( see the first photo I posted)... Probably not unless he's from San Francisco!!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me throw another option at you, a Mustang seat. This my second Mustang, had one on my 1200C. They're great with great customer service. They're not cheap, but if you shop around, you can probably find one in your price range. If you look at my profile under the pictures, you'll see pics of my bike with the stock and Mustang seats. My seat is the Wide Super Touring One-Piece Vintage.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing a Seat