Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar swap- need some advice from those who cut and re-soldered internal wires...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:41 AM
Techknowguy
|
Intermediate
Default Handlebar swap- need some advice from those who cut and re-soldered internal wires...

I am in the process of swapping out the mini-apes on my 2010 Street Bob and have come to the conclusion that the easiest way to proceed is cut then re-solder the wires. So, the question I have is this: What is inside the "flat" (is in rather than round) black wire? Is it two wires? Or is it one flat conductor?

Thought I should ask before I begin the cutting...

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:11 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't cut and solder. take the connectors apart.

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:16 PM
Techknowguy
|
Intermediate

Am trying that route now...

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:34 PM
dastick
Cruiser

Go with the connectors. Its a bit of a PITA but not to bad once you figure them out. It will also be one less place to look if your electronics ever fail you.

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:36 PM
Techknowguy
|
Intermediate

Thanks guys- I will search the forum for directions... I am having a heck of a time even finding the connectors. They're located inside the top frame tube, correct?

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:54 PM
axiom
Novice

Not sure about the Dyna models but on my Softail when going to 16" apes I removed all the wires from the connectors (write down which color goes where, the back of the connectors have numbers on them) cut the wires (not all in the same place or youll end up with a plug that wont go through your bars very well) and soldered a piece of wire in the middle of each one that was an extra 8 inches or so. Run the wires back through the bars and connect to connectors. There is one wire that comes from the switch housing that basically is a 2 in one but just cut it in the single wire area and its just one wire.

but if you dont need to extend wires the definately no need to cut them. the tank will have to come off to get at the connectors.

Last edited by axiom; 05-10-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2010 | 01:01 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Keep thread searching. You'll find some good examples.

Old 05-10-2010 | 01:18 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

Just like everyone else is saying DO NOT CUT the wires. The electronics on these bikes are so sensitive that they deal in thousandths of a volt. There is no way to solder a wire and NOT introduce an impedance that will screw everything up.

Old 05-10-2010 | 01:28 PM
dastick
Cruiser

This will surely be mentioned sooner or later, so here it goes: Get the service Manual. It will be the best money you spend. For the swapping of bars alone and figuring out which wires go where it will be worth the cost.

In answer to your question, Yes, the connectors are tucked into the frame and you need to pull the cables out the neck. There are a few different types of connectors and as stated you will need to keep the colors straight to figure out how it goes back together.

Old 05-10-2010 | 01:30 PM
Techknowguy
|
Intermediate

Jackpot! I backed the tank off the neck and was able to pry out the connectors. I am now in the process of taking the pins/wires out of the Molex connectors... agreed, much better to do it this way. Especially since I am going to lower bars (Chubby Wild 1 W0504) on top of 2" risers. I'll post pictures when done.

Thanks again to all!

Quick Reply: Handlebar swap- need some advice from those who cut and re-soldered internal wires...