Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value: Low Rider vs. Super Glide Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value: Low Rider vs. Super Glide Custom?

There's a dealer about 5 hrs. from me who has a really cool looking 2009 Low Rider. I see that MSRP on the stock Low Rider was $15,099 and MSRP on a 2009/2010 Super Glide Custom is $12,999-a $2100 difference.

Is there $2100 worth of extra value in the Low Rider? They seem really similar. Like every measurement is within an inch of each other. They seem to have similar amounts of chrome, etc.

I love the SG Custom-haven't tried a Low Rider yet. I want a little more info before I start messing with some dealer who's far from my home.

Gracias, dudes!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some differences but dont think it will add up to $2100.

You get a Tach which is nice but does cause some issues when wanting to change bars because of the dummy lights. The LR comes with Highway pegs stock but are black not chrome.

Some like the black motor better so will have to go to a 2010 Custom to get it. The 2010 custom also comes with the shorter shocks like the LR.

The LR has a few more chrome pieces but nothing major. It also has a little extra rake in the triple trees.

You get the slightly larger tank with the custom. The Custom also has the switch on the dash which is much better than in the neck IMO.

The custom is the best bargain if you like chrome.

Last edited by bberck; 05-07-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Low Rider has the blacked out motor which while not worth $2100 makes all the difference to me between the two bikes looks-wise.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
Low Rider has the blacked out motor which while not worth $2100 makes all the difference to me between the two bikes looks-wise.
The 2010 Custom has the black motor.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

The lowrider has the tach and speedo on the tank,it's lowered from the factory.I also think the lowrider has a little more chrome on it,also I think the lowrider comes with highway pegs stock,not sure about the custom. IMHO the lowrider is a nicer looking bike,is it $2100 nicer,not sure. I bought a lowrider new in 2004 and it was a great bike.

Depending on the look you are going for you could get there with the Custom as a starting point and save a few bucks. Essentially the motor,frame and whatnot are the same bike

Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
The 2010 Custom has the black motor.
Holy sh*t you're right I just checked out the website. Had no idea. Guess that makes sense if they're doing away with the Low Rider. In that case I'd jump on the SGC with out hesitation.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 AM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Looks wise I prefer the Lowrider but the "Custom" is a better deal.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
layne
Cruiser

I was just about to pull the trigger on a '10 SGC when my dealer got in a used '09 Low Rider. The LR had just shy of 4,000 miles on it but had slip on mufflers, a windshield and a tank bra (ended up taking off the bra because that is what dudes do! ) and was almost $2,000 less than the new bike. I am sure the Super Glide Custom would have been sweet but I would have had to put those other things on it for another grand or so... SO, not having to suffer through the first 1,000 mile break in and the lower price of the used bike, I got the Low Rider. I am a happy camper!!! I am sure either will be awesome rides... I can vouch for the Low Rider though!

Last edited by layne; 05-08-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
tonygret
Tourer

The last year of the Lowrider was 2009. So the value of a used one may be less bacuse it is a discontinued model. I bought a new one in october 2009 and got a bit over 2000.00 off the MSRP. That made it worth the price difference. I also think the tach is a major plus. I never had a bike without one and I like to see the RPM.

So if you can get a LR for the same price as a SG by working a good deal, I'd go with the LR.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not 100 % sure on this.......but doesn't the LOW RIDER come with MID CONTROLS standard, where as the SG has Forwards? How tall a rider are you? Will this make a big difference to you. It ain't cheap going from Mids to Forwards. Just something to check out.

Personally, I love my Low Rider....but I'm short and this was the best FIT for me. Seating, Foot Pegs & Handlebar Arm Reach should be your #1 concern. You have to sit on each bike to determine how it FITS YOU. Saving $2100 might not be worth it in the long run..... or.... it could just be the ticket.

Quick Reply: Value: Low Rider vs. Super Glide Custom?