Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Rider83
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna

hi guys, I am in desperate need for some guidance. I am 5.5' and I want to get my hands on a harley. But I dont know which will be my best option a Sportster 1200 or a Dyna.

I will ride it to work everyday (around 30 miles)and sometimes during weekends. The Dyna is on the top of my budget while I can easely pay the Sportster. I dont want to buy a Dyna that will overpower me or a Sportster I will outgrow. I most say I have never had or ride a harley so I really need your expertise on this one.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Either will be a good bike and Sportsters are fun to ride but that said.

Lots of guys move from a Sportster to a Dyna but dont recall ever seeing anyone sell there Dyna to get a Sportster.

I went back and forth between a Nightster and a Dyna when i bought mine and I am glad i went with the Dyna. I wouldnt of been happy on the Nightster very long even though I do really like them.

It may take a few mods to get it were you want for your height but it can easily be done.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

If you could swing the dyna financially then I would go for it. Both bikes are really fun to ride but you will appreciate the dyna's motor and the way it rides overall. Best of luck with your choice.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. I got the Sportster and loved it, but it always felt like I wanted more. After a year, I traded it in and got a Dyna SG custom. I could not be happier. The Dyna is everything I want in a bike.

If you haven't taken the Rider's Course, I strongly recommend it. Then test drive both.

The following users liked this post:
fonzie56 (05-06-2023)
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Find a dealer who will let you test ride both of them. Then enjoy the Dyna!!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to have a sporty, and I LOVED it to death.

I own a Dyna now, and do not regret it. So you do the math.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider83
hi guys, I am in desperate need for some guidance. I am 5.5' and I want to get my hands on a harley. But I dont know which will be my best option a Sportster 1200 or a Dyna.

I will ride it to work everyday (around 30 miles)and sometimes during weekends. The Dyna is on the top of my budget while I can easely pay the Sportster. I dont want to buy a Dyna that will overpower me or a Sportster I will outgrow. I most say I have never had or ride a harley so I really need your expertise on this one.
The saddle height of a sporty and that of a Dyna are about the same. The weight difference is (I think) about 100lbs.

I know people that have Sportsters and love them. I know just about as many that out-grew them and bought a Big Twin.

At 5'5'' it might be a bit of a struggle handling either one of them. Don't know fer sure. My brother had a sportster. A long, long time ago. He's since had nothing but Big Twins. Lots of them. Lots and lots of them.

I personally prefer the Dyna. I'm not big man, only 5'8" and 160lbs. I used to be 5'9". You really do shrink as you age. No kidding. Other than the occasional brain-fart, I have no trouble handling the Dyna. I don't think the extra weight is a problem. If ANY of them start to go over on you, unless you're Man Mountain Dean, you're pretty well screwed anyway.

I watched a little iddy-biddy little young lady riding a Dyna at the shop the other day. Cute as a button, too. She seemed to be doing just fine.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth - from a not quite 5'-4" female - my first bike was an 800 Suzuki Intruder. I went from that to an 883 Low after 2 riding seasons. I traded in the 883 less than a year later form the 1200 Nightster, and traded that in for my Street Bob within another year. I'm glad I started out on the 800 Suzuki, but when I was ready to trade I should have gone right to a bigger engine, more comfortable long distance ride, for the kind of riding we do. LOVED the Sporties, especially the Nightster "but" ... There was just always that "but".

Had to work with the Street Bob a bit to get it to fit me just right. It took me a whole riding season to do it, but this year I am starting out with it perfect for me and I'm loving it.

The following users liked this post:
fonzie56 (05-06-2023)
Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser

I went through the same process as you are going through now. Test rode both and still had a tough time deciding... I chose the dyna, basically because everyone I spoke to said DYNA. I struggled with purchasing the Sporty and trading up to the fat bob the next year. Basically I could have paid cash for the sporty and had no payments, but I decided to get the bob because I wanted to grow into a bike, not out of one. I am totally glad I went with the dyna, and in fact am in the process of increasing the power and improving the suspension as we speak. When it comes to us shorter guys, I don't think the size of the rider really makes a difference.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
zwide10
Cruiser

You'll get rid of that Sportster real quick. Then again, I've had my WG for 3 weeks and I really want an SG (not that I'll sell my WG, but still). Get the Dyna, it's worth the extras

Quick Reply: Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna