Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 PM
por2gezo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want an xl-1200... ill sell you one for a great price ! PM ..

Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My license says 5' 6, but more like 5' 5 3/4. I've got a Dyna, FXDC to be exact lowered 1". Couple of things; the sportster is a true sport bike, great for jumping from spot to spot around town. Of course there are plenty of guys who'll tell you they done long trips on them too. But, its center of gravity is higher and therefore a bit more fatiguing on short legs. Dyna lower center of gravity although heavier bike is a bit easier on slow maneuvering etc....

Average length of ownership on a sportster is 9 months. And, you'll see tons of sportsters for sale in the local paper if you check. Reason for that.

If I had to choose between a dyna, sportster and a yamaha virago as a "first" bike I'd go dyna, virago and sportster, in that order. But that's me, you'll have to make your own decision. Some guys wouldn't ride anything but a sportster. Whatever choice you make I'd recommend riding boots with a bit of heel. Will help you get your feet firmly on the ground. Good for when you step on some loose gravel or an oil spot at an intersection.

Best of luck with your decision

Bones

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well first off in the dyna section you know all of us have dynas so we're a little biased But I can tell you first hand that I outgrew my 1200C in less than a month!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
You know that if you ask the dyna forum which bike we think you should get, we're not going to tell you to buy a sportie? Sportster low was my 2nd bike - only having ridden for 8 months before it. Was fun to ride but any long trip and that skinny front tire just kicked my a$$. Always felt like I was gertting sucked into every bump and crevace in the road. Also, while my husband and his friends were all cruising along on the interstate, I always felt like I was maxxed out in power. I sat on a lot of bikes when I decided 6 months into that sportie that a new ride was in my future - once my butt hit the streetbob's seat I was in love. Fits like a glove.
As for the little bit of extra weight, I don't plan on carrying my ride on my back. That extra 100 pounds or so helps with the amazing balance you feel on a dyna.
True that my friend, true that...

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 PM
TXcruzin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'll be about the 100th vote, Dyna You wont feel overwelmed, you will have it dialed in in about 20 minutes. Then you wont wish for a bigger motor and another gear. Happy Happy Happy.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I also went from a sportster to a dyna Lowrider, Being vertically challenged 5'3" I had both the sportster lowered and my Lowrider lowered The Dyna is an awsome ride bigger platform
real nice on the longer rides and more stable in cross winds etc. And will do it all.
Sportsters are awsome and If I could afford a second bike it would be a 1200 slamed.
Go Dyna
Carl

Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Bear_925
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with a dyna, ask Harley to through in a reach seat to close the deal. IMO get the lowest model dynaglide and you will probably enjoy it. Sportsters look fun but the Dyna model is the first BIG twin in the Harley line still considered an all around everyday bike.

But all that said, to each his own.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
imbthree
Advanced

I have a sportster 1200xl custom right now and am looking to upgrade. I'm 5'10" and the sportster just feels too small. I have forward controls but its not enough. I also like to go riding two up with my wife, and with her on back its a tight, uncomfortable fit. Want to go to a dyna next year. Still torn between a street bob and a super glide custom tho. My .02 is to go with the Dyna cause within a years time ur gonna trade that sporty for one anyway. -Shaun

Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always liked Sporty s but bought a Dyna because I heard all these people yacking about how they out grew their Sportys and traded "up".I've had my Dyna for 4 years and still wish I'd got a Sportster, go figure.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:05 AM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I've always liked Sporty s but bought a Dyna because I heard all these people yacking about how they out grew their Sportys and traded "up".I've had my Dyna for 4 years and still wish I'd got a Sportster, go figure.
Sell the OP your Dyna and go buy a Sporty

Quick Reply: Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna