Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

WOW MARINE, YOUR BIKE IS SMALL. WHAT IS THAT, A SPORTY ON CRACK???
Them's fightin words...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with a sportster because of being a new rider and immediately wanted a bigger bike for long trips. The Dyna will not be any more difficult to learn on. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know that if you ask the dyna forum which bike we think you should get, we're not going to tell you to buy a sportie? Sportster low was my 2nd bike - only having ridden for 8 months before it. Was fun to ride but any long trip and that skinny front tire just kicked my a$$. Always felt like I was gertting sucked into every bump and crevace in the road. Also, while my husband and his friends were all cruising along on the interstate, I always felt like I was maxxed out in power. I sat on a lot of bikes when I decided 6 months into that sportie that a new ride was in my future - once my butt hit the streetbob's seat I was in love. Fits like a glove.
As for the little bit of extra weight, I don't plan on carrying my ride on my back. That extra 100 pounds or so helps with the amazing balance you feel on a dyna.

Attached Thumbnails Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna-100_0472.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts

I probably shouldn't weigh in on this because it looks like I'm the only one here that's missing my Sportster, but it's only because of one thing, 'vibration problem'. Otherwise the Dyna is a better bike at most things. Smoother ride and the 6 speed is nice on the highway. My problem is when I get my new Dyna up to about 4000 rpm the motor vibrates tearable like my old solid mount Sporty did. My last Sportster was a rubber mount 06 and that motor was smoother then my new Dyna when the rpm go up. I'm stuck at 842 miles because of cold wet Michigan Weather and working late. As soon as I get time I will take it in and see if there is something Wrong with my new Dyna. If they tell me this motor vibration is normal for a Dyna, then I will be the only one here that will wish I still had my 06 sporty. Most every one that's had a Sportster likes the Dyna a lot better, and I would too, if the motor didn't vibrate so much.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
mrperez
Road Captain

My neighbor is also 5'5" and he had a Sportster 1200 Custom for about a year. He wanted something bigger so he got a Street Bob with progressive lowering shocks, he says he has no regrets on the change. I say if it is possible test both the Sporty and a Dyna. Good luck in your decision.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I rode a 1200C for 10 yrs before getting my FXDC. The Sporty's a great bike, but the FXDC gives you more options. The advice to get the dealer to let you ride both is solid. If you're concerned about your height, then you need to look at the 883 or 1200 Low. If power's an issue, i.e. too much, then I'd recommend the 883L. You can always upgrade the engine to a 1200.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:40 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How can you resist?
Name:  P1000432.jpg
Views: 6900
Size:  169.6 KB

Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Chips
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rider83
hi guys, I am in desperate need for some guidance. I am 5.5' and I want to get my hands on a harley. But I dont know which will be my best option a Sportster 1200 or a Dyna.

I will ride it to work everyday (around 30 miles)and sometimes during weekends. The Dyna is on the top of my budget while I can easely pay the Sportster. I dont want to buy a Dyna that will overpower me or a Sportster I will outgrow. I most say I have never had or ride a harley so I really need your expertise on this one.
the Dyna will not overpower you... I no time it will be just right.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM
ShortFatMexican
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rider83
hi guys, I am in desperate need for some guidance. I am 5.5' and I want to get my hands on a harley. But I dont know which will be my best option a Sportster 1200 or a Dyna.

I will ride it to work everyday (around 30 miles)and sometimes during weekends. The Dyna is on the top of my budget while I can easely pay the Sportster. I dont want to buy a Dyna that will overpower me or a Sportster I will outgrow. I most say I have never had or ride a harley so I really need your expertise on this one.
Dude I'm the same height as you and haven't lowered my bike or anything. You will have no problems on a Dyna. Just think of a Dyna as a Sporty on steroids.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

Dyna,it will fit you better and there's no such thing as too much power.

Quick Reply: Help to decide: Sportster 1200 vs Dyna