Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" Ohlins vs 12" Ricors... Comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010 | 04:28 PM
rounder
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default 12" Ohlins vs 12" Ricors... Comparison test

I am doing a comparison test between the Ohlin s36 12" shocks and Ricors new shocks. Both models of shock offer only preload adjustments. The Ohlins I have are Ohlins lowest priced model. I have felt the Ohlins are just incredible shocks and have been very pleased with them over the last year.
The first I want to tougch on is Visual... Hands down the Ricor shocks are much nicer than the Ohlins. The finish is beautiful and they really look better on my bike. I never felt the Ohlins were all that good looking as I felt the performance made up for it.
Second: The Ricors weigh a little less than the Ohlins. Maybe a pound or two each.
Third: Preload adjustability is in the favor of the Ricor shocks. Easily adjusted by hand vs using 2 tools for the Ohlins.
Fourth: The ride. I am comparing the Ricor sport tuned vs my Ohlins. Both shocks are set up for my weight. Upon install I did not need to adjust the preload at all, the bike sets up about right without any preload added to the spring(maybe a touch stiff). The Ohlins required quite a bit of adjusting to find the sweet spot.
Travel: The 12" Ricors have 2" of travel where the 12" Ohlins have about 1/2" more. I'm not sure if this is due to the IAS taking up more room in the shock body thereby reducing the travel. The Ohlins and other brands have 2.5" of travel for their 12" shocks. Thing is... will it matter?
Right now I can say they feel very different, the Ricors feel super stiff when you initially get on the bike and out the driveway. Surprisingly enough, this initial stiffness is not transmitted once the bike is up and moving. I have only done some short riding around the neighborhood so far and was actually quite surprised how the shocks sucked up my neighborhood speedbumps when I hit them hard at way too fast of speed. At the same speed, the Ohlins would bottom then bounce me up off the seat. The Ricors also are very confidence inspiring, They feel wicked stable blasting around 90 deg corners scraping the pegs again at too excessive speed. The Ohlins are also very stable as well. I will be putting more ride time on em soon enough, and this will be the more deciding factor on how they compare.... I gotta say, as it stands, the Ricors are edging out the Ohlins currently as far as I am concerned.
Another thing, earlier I installed the intiminators by Ricor as well. They felt a little too stiff with the Ohlins, yet with the Ricor shocks on their they feel much softer. My front has progressive springs in there with a 2" lowering kit.
There will be more to report soon!

Old 05-05-2010 | 05:20 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

Good info! Nice to hear something about those shocks & something good to campare them to aswell puting them up even higher! Although I will not be replacing my YSS shocks, I've been real curious of those. What speed is way too fast that you mentioned hittin the pot holes at & how big of holes...just tryin to compare how mine reacts to holes to your set up. I wouldn't have figured them ohlins on bouncin ya off the seat, is why I ask! Bike is lookin killer dude!

Old 05-05-2010 | 05:28 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Good writeup Rounder..That's what I will work on the next for the SG is the suspension.

Old 05-05-2010 | 05:49 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

Excellent write up .

Old 05-05-2010 | 07:01 PM
rounder
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by chad peterson
Good info! Nice to hear something about those shocks & something good to campare them to aswell puting them up even higher! Although I will not be replacing my YSS shocks, I've been real curious of those. What speed is way too fast that you mentioned hittin the pot holes at & how big of holes...just tryin to compare how mine reacts to holes to your set up. I wouldn't have figured them ohlins on bouncin ya off the seat, is why I ask! Bike is lookin killer dude!
35-40mph or so over 10 mph speed humps( the humps are damn close to hitting a curb). It's my most vicious test, I have never come across a road that does what these speed bumps through my neighborhood do to a suspension. I still need to get some road miles on the bike under more normal conditions to get a feel for the shocks higher speeds and multiple bumps.

Last edited by rounder; 05-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2010 | 07:52 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

Oh I gotcha...first reading your post I had pot holes in my head for some reason, lol! Makes a little more sense now. Sounds like a great set of shocks...enjoy!

Old 05-05-2010 | 10:02 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Great info.

Old 05-06-2010 | 12:30 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

Rounder, Thanks for the write up. Things sound pretty good for the Ricors. It'll be interesting to read your impressions after a few rides.

Old 05-06-2010 | 07:09 AM
formike56
Club Member

Good write up Rounder. I should be getting mine in a few days. I went with the 13". little more travel for these large as Texas potholes.

Old 05-06-2010 | 08:55 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by rounder
35-40mph or so over 10 mph speed humps( the humps are damn close to hitting a curb). It's my most vicious test, I have never come across a road that does what these speed bumps through my neighborhood do to a suspension. I still need to get some road miles on the bike under more normal conditions to get a feel for the shocks higher speeds and multiple bumps.
Then come ride hwy #1 in my area. I bet it can **** you off in no time, like it does me. The road is a major thoroughfare for big rigs between NC and the midlands of SC. The wear and tear they cause is tremendous. Contemplate hitting those speedbumps every 100yds are so for 30mi traveling at 60-65mph. Some are so tall, I've caught air off of them if you catch it just right. Not a good feeling at all contrary to the "that sounds cool' idea you might come up with. Between Cheraw (where I live) and McBee, SC is the worst section.

One reason I like NC (and living 20mi from the border) is that even the backroads are kept up. At least the higher taxes NC residents pay goes to good use. I could live with that. Now, if I could find a job up there I'd move.

Quick Reply: 12" Ohlins vs 12" Ricors... Comparison test