Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" Ohlins vs 12" Ricors... Comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010 | 11:02 PM
rounder
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Unimoose
There is an adjustment in those. The slots in the top by the top of the springs are where the wrenches go. Turn one toward the other with a wrench on each to adjust your preload. You'll have 3 settings.
YSO191's shocks? If so maybe PM him to be sure he gets the message.

Old 05-08-2010 | 11:27 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Yeah. As mentioned; there are two nuts for the spanner's. One good way to keep the finish looking good is to put some blue masking tape on the wrenches before using them on the shocks. Howard gave me this tip and it works very well.

Old 05-09-2010 | 08:17 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DonN
Just received notice that my Ricors 12" are ready to be shipped. I currently have the 11" pro 412HD, so expect a night and day difference. And have a 1000 mile ride next month through SE Asia so hopefully enjoying a smoother ride.
I got my notice a month ago, so don't hold your breath. I ordered the 12 inch in Mid February.

Old 05-09-2010 | 10:10 AM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by Unimoose
There is an adjustment in those. The slots in the top by the top of the springs are where the wrenches go. Turn one toward the other with a wrench on each to adjust your preload. You'll have 3 settings.
You are correct. Apparently I misunderstood Howard. There is a preload adjustment, and I'm glad there is.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Steve

Old 05-09-2010 | 10:45 AM
bucket13
Road Master

I recently installed the Ohlins Separated (gas\oil) version - believe they are the next higher level than what Rounder was running. I highly recommend these shocks! It is incredible how much they improved the handling and stability. I love the feel and their industrial appearance.

I am sure the Ricors will performance well - I just think they look like a knock off of the Progressive 430's and that didn't appeal to me.

Old 05-09-2010 | 04:19 PM
rounder
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bucket13
I recently installed the Ohlins Separated (gas\oil) version - believe they are the next higher level than what Rounder was running. I highly recommend these shocks! It is incredible how much they improved the handling and stability. I love the feel and their industrial appearance.

I am sure the Ricors will performance well - I just think they look like a knock off of the Progressive 430's and that didn't appeal to me.
yeah the next step up. I like the "industrial appearance" description. That is a great way to describe them. this comparison is not to knock any of Ohlins products, I loved the ride I got with my Ohlins. I am of course comparing Ricors new shocks vs the Ohlins which really are typically considered the best shocks made. I am currently of the Opinion right now that looks wise(finish quality), the Ricors trump the Ohlins. I also really like the ease of adjustability of the Ricors vs. the Ohlins. Gonna take a few days before I can give an honest ride report and compare the two where it matters most. Right now, having just rode them around a little bit, I actually think the Ricors may feel more stable than the Ohlins in corners. I noticed and was blown away by the stability gained when I got my Ohlins over progressive and stock suspension. These feel even more stable from the limited amount of cornering I did. I am running Ricors sport version of the shock.

Last edited by rounder; 05-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2010 | 04:31 PM
rounder
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by yso191
You are correct. Apparently I misunderstood Howard. There is a preload adjustment, and I'm glad there is.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Steve
don't worry about the hijack. It's more important that you got it figured out!

Old 05-09-2010 | 07:11 PM
maxrdr
5th Gear

I have had the Intiminators and 13" Ricor Sport shocks installed for about 6 weeks and 800 miles. Rounders description of the Ricor shock appearance is spot on and as far as the ride inprovement over stock Harley - a fantastic improvement. I rode another Dyna with Olins and decided to go with the Ricors and I am very satisfied with the handling of the bike when pushing it in corners. As far as rough pavement, my complaints went away.