Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Docking Hardware on '10 Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have run it installed, riding solo just to test all these 'rattle' theories and to be honest I haven't had one issue with it. Normally, it sits on a the shelf until my girl gets to ride with me, along with her pillion and those damn goofy looking passenger peg extensions I got from Kury.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceblue
Just a quick word about the use of Loctite for those who don't know.
The red is considered permanent and will only be removed with the application of heat. (the heating of the bolt with a torch will break the bond)
The blue is removable. It will lock the bolt but still be removable (with difficulty) at a future date.
I can attest to that. Several years ago my buddy and I (mostly my buddy, my job consisted of handing him beers) did a differential change on my Mustang. Ford, in its infinite wisdom, had evidently decided to use red loctite on the cover bolts at the factory. Several of them just broke -- Sheared off inside the case.

I can not envision a reason to use red loctite on a motorcycle. But, I am far, far, far from an expert on motorcycles.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Eddie A.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Never doubt the wisdom on hdforums

I saw a lot of replies that said you had to use BLUE loctite and I though, "maybe they're confused because the instruction say to use RED. Which I guess would be a problem if you never plan to add anything else to a sissy bar, like say a luggage rack.

After seeing spaceblue's post about having to use a torch to remove bolts where red loctite had been used, I started to panic a little and ran straight out to the garage. I used red loctite (per the instructions provided) on the docking hardware and the sissy bar yesterday for the install, but I have the luggage rack coming in next week which meant that the bolts from the sissy bar would have to be removed.

So I get out there and try to turn one of the bolts on the sissy bar, and sure as **** it ain't budging. I don't have a torch but I do have a heat gun that I used to use to melt wax on my boots back when we had to shine our boots in the army. So I took that heat gun and applied heat to each bolt and was able to get them out, but not without twisting the **** out of one of my T27 Torx bits. Thanks for the heads up on the use of red loctite and never again will I doubt the wisdom that is found on this forum.

Thanx guys

Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Eddie...as someone much more knowledgeable than I could ever be about motorcycles told me recently......lots of good info here mixed in with a lot of bullsh!t.

{EDIT} that comes off sounding a bit harsh. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here at all. You do kind of have to wade through it all to find the answers you're looking for.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-06-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Eddie A.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Longhair,

yet another bit of useful wisdom. I guess I'll just take it all with a grain of salt and confirm it through my own research.

Thans

Old 05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FATKEVIN
Easy to do just make sure to loctite all of the bolts with blue. A little tip on the mounting hardware, put about one wrap of electrical tape around the docking points for the sideplates. When I first put mine on I didn't and on decel you get a pretty good rattle that's more than mildly annoying.
I had to do the same thing. It's totally annoying.