Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Engine light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:07 PM
RMBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Engine light coming on

I have a new Street Bob with 95 miles on the odometer. This morning I took it out for a ride and the engine light and battery light lit up. when I turned the bike off and restarted, it stayed off until a went around a couple of corners and got into third gear then came on again. When I got it home I noticed that everytime I turned on the kill switch to start the bike the fuel pump sounded a lot noisier than normal when priming for the first time. Is there a way I can check for error codes before I take it to the dealer?

Old 08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Default RE: Help!! Engine light coming on

Copied from a recent post:

01- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

02- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

03- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button.
Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range
and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate.
The word “diag” should then appear.

04 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu

"PSSPT" with the first P flashing.

05 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module.
The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check.
To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time.

(from P to S to SP to T and back to P, etc.)

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

06 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release.
If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s.
Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

07 - Record the codes.

08 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button.
Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and
holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up.
Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9.
If the code is current it will reappear.

09 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:32 PM
RMBob
Cruiser

Thanks for posting the instructions hd_sob.

I followed the above instructions and on the first "P" the Electronic Control Module, I got a code P0562. I cleared the code and ran my engine and when I checked the ECM again there were no codes, indicating it was historic. I will go for another ride and see if the lights come on again. The only thing I did recently to the ignition was put new red spark plug wires on.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:48 PM
RMBob
Cruiser

I ran the bike around the block and the engine light and battery light came back on again. when I got back I checked for error codes again and got the same P0562 code. Does anyone know what thios code means. I will post this in the tech forum also. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:14 PM
RMBob
Cruiser

Apparently the code P0562 means "Battery Voltage Low." Interesting seeing as I keep the bike on a battery tender when not in use.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

dude, i just copied those error codes from another post, i don't pretend to be a guru in their meaning or use....however, as an electronics troubleshooter from way back, i would look to those plug wires you mentioned as being the only variable...

Old 08-13-2006, 08:20 PM
RMBob
Cruiser

I checked the plug wires and the fuses. I also checked the battery connections and the Battery Tender fuse and connection. Everything seems to be okay, but I am still getting the same error, so I guess I will have to call the dealer tomorrow and let them figure it out under warranty. Thanks for your assistance.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 AM
RMBob
Cruiser

Yahoo, I figured it out. I found a loose wire in the wires behind the voltage regulator. It was a b**ch to get to it. I had to take off the voltage regulator and the plastic wire cover behind it. I must have made it loose when I was looking for the wire for the O2 eliminator. I gave it a good test drive and it runs like a champ, with no error messages.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

Just curious why you would eliminate the O2 sensors? They allow the efi to adjust plus or minus .5 to constantly correct the air/ fuel ratio.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:48 AM
RMBob
Cruiser

I was looking for the O2 connectors, while trying to decide if I was going to by a Power Commander with O2 eliminators. You have to use the O2 eliminators on the 06 with the PCIII.

Quick Reply: Help!! Engine light coming on