Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Ohrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over

I have tried the search function all day and haven't come up with the answer/product I am looking for so any help would be appriciated.

Problem - I purchased a set of used Willie and Max "mail pouch" bags for my 2008 Street Bob. I used them a couple of times and ended up burning a small hole in one side with the brake rotor. My fear is that the bags will end up getting tangled in something they shouldn't thus resulting in bad things on the road.

I have looked at saddle bag supports...from ghost brackets, to HD, to ebay specials and I can't find anything simple and clean (meaning easily removable) without relocating the signals (Again!!) and also maintaining my detachable backrest and luggage rack.

My wish - Some stupid simple design that props the bags out just enough to clear all of the moving parts....seems as though there has to be something out there to accomplish this.

Also, I looked at the foxcreek dyna bags and while the design seems to solve my problems I would rather stick with the more square "mail pouch/non rigid" bags.

Thanks in Advance!!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Snacks
Intermediate

Most throw over bags have leather ties at the bottom that allow you to attach them far enough away from the moving parts that they won't cause a problem. As for some type of rigid mount without relocating the turn signals to the rear of the bike, I think you might be out of luck. I looked for quite a while and eventually just settled on relocating the signals to the plate bracket area and using Edge Brackets (formerly Ghost Brackets). They're usable with detachable backrests as long as you order the correct one. There's 2 options per model, one for the backrest and one for use without. When you remove them, they only leave two small anchor looking points on the fender bolts. It may not be 100% what you're going for but they seem to be a great way to have the best of both worlds and minimize the change in look.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Most detachable kits seem to have one for rigid mount backrest and one kit for detachable. Usually, the detachable kits will have a longer bolt to accommodate the HD detach hardware AND the detach hardware for the bags. Cycle Vision's barebags are like that. Not expensive either. I saw them on Phatperformance.com, site sponsor, for like $135 or so.

The EZbrackets will definitely have the bags sticking out further than you may want.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will find some "Baggage Holders" here: http://www.fehling.de/index.php?lang...ise&markenid=4

They aren't removable though but they are minimal and look OK. With the longer bolts they come with you can fit them around detachable hardware stuff.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
rambobob
Tourer

I have willie max thro overs and my buddy does too. We just made a triangle out of metal bolting together and attaching to one bolt on the strut. Had two years no problem!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Nick0915
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rambobob
I have willie max thro overs and my buddy does too. We just made a triangle out of metal bolting together and attaching to one bolt on the strut. Had two years no problem!
Got a picture of the setup????

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM
rambobob
Tourer

Sorry, no pictures.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Ran a pair of Kuryakyn Gran throw -overs for a while. They did well... two straps and they were off. The bags set against the fender struts... no rubbing on anything. I just wanted leather.... so I made my own.

Attached Thumbnails Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over-dsc01157.jpg   Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over-dsc00428.jpg  

Last edited by archergodwin; 05-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this is what you are looking for, attaches to fender strut screw, just unscrew to take off. got pic from this website, maybe you could find somewhere else cheaper.

http://www.raskcycle.com/cgi-bin/car...lebag+Brackets

Attached Thumbnails Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over-110848.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohrider-RonnR did a thread on detachable luggage in aug. last year complete with pics. It involves taking a set of H-D detachable side plates and cutting them, flipping them, and bolting a set of bags to 'em. A good, complete, step by step post. Try doing a search for "Another 'Detachable Luggage' post" and you should find it.

Quick Reply: Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over