Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Saddlebag Options? - throw over

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Original post 08-03-09

This is in responce to a PM I received inquiring about how I had (2) quick detachable devices on my bike at one time (TourPack and Saddlebags). Due to the limiting Photo posting in the PM section, and the thought that others might be interested as well I decided to post yet another 'Quick Detach Luggage' post..

1st Step, Purchase the second HD docking hardware kit Part #53961-06
Only this time I went to my favorite hardware store and bought some longer Stainless steel bolts, adding the larger spacer on the front with the smaller spacer from the first install.... If you have relocated your rear turn signals, then add the smaller spacer to the larger on the rear.. As you see above I choose to keep my signals in place, and didnt need to install in back.

2nd Step, found a good deal on a second set of HD quick detach plates (thanks to Shimmon). Mounted the left side plate on the right side dock,
Checked to make sure the locking devices were solid, and mount was ok before moving on to the next destructive step...

3rd Step, Cut,ground and drilled 3/8" hole into the SidePlate. No turning back now... Checked once again on bike, everything good so far..

4th Step, Mounting sideplate parts onto your bag of choise, these are inexpensive RiverRoad Bags, but do the job just fine. The top half of the sideplate works great for support, holding the bags slightly out and preventing the bag from rubbing on the bike.
I have (2) 1&1/2" aluminum strips on each bag one just outside the leather (or pleather in this case), and one just inside the bag. Each strip runs the length of the bag, holding the bag firmly against the mount..

Now for the moment of truth, mounting onto the bike, Mounting with sissybar or tourpack in place. All is well.

I didn't take a photo with the bags and the tourpack but you can imagine, it works great as well..

I really prefer the more modular approch with my BikersFriend clone.. and Camera case..

I'll probably change my mind about tourpacks if I can ever find a deal on one of those HD leather ones $$$$.
I know I know, there's a lot of shiny chrome dots, didn't plan it ...just happened..
This certainly isnt in the 'Under $50' range but all in all not bad. I've got arond $150.00 invested, thru deals, and I can upgrade to newer and differant bags and still keep the mounting system..

All in all, the truth be told, I run without any luggage 99 percent of the time. But its nice to have when you need it.

Edit 05-05-10
I found a deal on Harley Leather tour Pack.. Bolted larger bags on to above hardware and I love it.

Last edited by RonnR; 05-06-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

RonnR...that's ingenius. I'm sure it doesn't stick out any further than the EZ brackets. I may have to try that. I was going to buy some Barebacks when I got a chance but I think I like this way better.