Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hanger slipage

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Joe376
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine arent knurled and Ive never had a problem either. Stock risers too.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Nickrom32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my stock bars move with stock risers and they are knurled

Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Carlini risers come with set screws to keep the bars from slipping. Just make sure you specify you need the risers with the set screws.
correct me if im wrong but the set screws only come with the 1.50 risers , I installed the 1.25's and dont have any problems, The risers and bars are machined right ( bars are a tad bigger O.D. than the risers ). Therefore allowing you to "pinch the bars" into the risers = no slipping WITH the lack of knurling!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired

I have the same problem with my Nash Smart Gimps.

I've tried a bunch of things, but I think my latest will work. Couple small strips of industrial velcro (sticky back) from a $3 pack at Home Depot...cut to your liking, then put one side on the bar and the other under the riser. Also makes it removable (bar from clamp) and you can always get the sticky stuff off if you sell them or trade them later.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

Buy an automatic center punch from Harbor Freight for about $6 & use it to put dimples all over the area that comes in contact with the risers. As many as you can, hundreds. I wrap some masking tape on each side of the riser area where I'm going to put the dimples.

A sharp edge around the dimple is formed by the automatic punch & will bite into the risers. This works much better than a standard knurl & the bars will not slip.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Fat-Bob-Brad
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks guys for some ideas i think i will give the center punch and loctite a go when i get them.

Kind Regards Brad

Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I will say the 1.5" apes are sweet. A softail forum member, mplecha, has them on his fat boy. Seen them in person. They do shine like no tomorrow.

The 1.25" thick apes are offered in stepped (1" at grips and risers) or non-stepped (1.25" @ risers, 1" at grips).

Their photos on carlini website doesn't show the bars as being knurled. You can always ask if they can knurl them for you. Paying enough coin for them. They should be able to with minimum of effort.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Fat-Bob-Brad
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I will say the 1.5" apes are sweet. A softail forum member, mplecha, has them on his fat boy. Seen them in person. They do shine like no tomorrow.

The 1.25" thick apes are offered in stepped (1" at grips and risers) or non-stepped (1.25" @ risers, 1" at grips).

Their photos on carlini website doesn't show the bars as being knurled. You can always ask if they can knurl them for you. Paying enough coin for them. They should be able to with minimum of effort.

Aggreed i want them in black powder coat though and dont know if they do them as i can not find it on the page for these bars i have sent them a mail asking the question.

Brad

Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do it old skool......... we used to trim a small piece of aluminium beer can and put it between the bar and riser clamp..... you cant' see it and it snugs it right down, never moves. Problem solved - free of charge

added bonus!!! - you get to drink the beer first

Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
TL03fxdl
Advanced
Default on purpose?

I remember when riding back in the 60s that apes weren't supposed to be higher than your shoulders - so I heard that some would leave them just loose enough to yank them down lower if pulled over! Don't know the current local law about height, but glad to hear that you're trying to make them secure...

Quick Reply: Ape hanger slipage