Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork lock and key

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 AM
rob_will
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork lock and key

An interesting thing happened today as I went to engage the fork lock on my 06 street bob. It would not lock!!![:@] I was able to get it locked but only when the forks are straight, but the lock doesnot engage, thus leaving the forks unlocked even though the key points to the locked position. How does one fix this?

Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 AM
rob_will
Tourer
Default RE: Fork lock and key

Problem fixed.......The lock shaft became unaligned with the lock hole on the lower triple trees. A screwdriver and a little leverage fixed it. Now I have to head down to the stealer and have the lock tightened

Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 AM
rockdoc
Tourer

I don't know how you fix it but I've got the same problem with my fork lock! The lock mechanism actually works but for whatever reason, it won't engage when the forks are turned to the correct position to lock. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what the simple solution is.....good luck!

Old 08-13-2006, 01:33 AM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did this once and it was because the turn signal wire got caught in the divot that the lock pin goes into.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM
kimo
Cruiser

Happened to me.Maybe same for you..If you look under your frame where your key goes. There you will see the Mechanism that locks your forks. Looks like a shaft that goes into your fork. Mine was out of alighnment and ended up on the outside of where it should be. Look directly under the frame where you put the key. There you should see the bottom of the lock. Put a flat tip screw driver in the space you will see. And twist the lock back into place. Ill bet the lock somehow got out of place like mine did. Been drinking a little.P So hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 AM
kimo
Cruiser

Actually thought my fork shaft was out of alighnment when this first happened.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 AM
kimo
Cruiser

Well shucks i was hopimg id been of some use. I was just a few minutes too late and a buck fity to short.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 AM
kimo
Cruiser

Sounds like the same problem i had though. Dang,can you delete posts? didnt mean to post so many.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 AM
rob_will
Tourer

ORIGINAL: kimo

Happened to me.Maybe same for you..If you look under your frame where your key goes. There you will see the Mechanism that locks your forks. Looks like a shaft that goes into your fork. Mine was out of alighnment and ended up on the outside of where it should be. Look directly under the frame where you put the key. There you should see the bottom of the lock. Put a flat tip screw driver in the space you will see. And twist the lock back into place. Ill bet the lock somehow got out of place like mine did. Been drinking a little.P So hope this helps.
Yup that is the way that I fixed mine. Looks like a trip to the stealer to make sure that everything is okay

Old 08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Not to be a pain in the butt... But, don't you guys do a search to find out if anybody had the the problem you're having..?? Had you done one on this subject, you would of found that the lock problem had been covered many times... Searching can help ya... and save alot of typing and grief...Later.. Skee..

Quick Reply: Fork lock and key