Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistaken for a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Q_Bik
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A harley owner asked me what size sportster is that?

ORIGINAL: bronk

Spent almost a year in Iraq helping insurgents in their journey to meet allah,and then came home and picked up my brand spanking new 06 Dyna SG in fire pearl red.I am happy as hell and have it parked in the driveway the day the inlaws come over.First thing my father in law says is "hey nice looking sportster.....is that a 1200?"I look in disbelief,but am kind when I correct him and say its a big V-twin Dyna.Inside I am GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...................it happens I guess.5 more days and Ill be home in the US a free man again.Goodbye Iraq/Kuwait!
bronk.. Welcome home man... Thanks.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
jt351
6th Gear

Well this is my first post, Just bought a 05 sportster custom. I think there is a big difference between the custom the standard.Its got more chrome, forward controls, bigger tank, bigger front wheel. I thought owning a Harley was going to be cool but I seem to be getting is **** from people saying it is a lowly sportster, what the heck!!! I rode my friends FatBoy and I don't think I would even trade him, other than to sell it for the outrageous $$ I could get for it. Just too big to enjoy around town commute(I is probably better on the long haul but that is not my primary use), I am only 150lbs. and in the sport bike group smaller is better because of handling an maneuverabilty.Also until a few weeks ago I didn't even know so many HD existed. I don't think the average joe including me even knew that there is a dyna model or a superglide etc etc. Sportsters and maybe softails are what people know. All I know when I get on the throttle people know I have a Harley without even looking at it and that is what counts dammit. Its like people only what to respect you for buying a harley only if it costs over 12,000$

Old 09-11-2006, 03:58 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jt351

Well this is my first post, Just bought a 05 sportster custom. I think there is a big difference between the custom the standard.Its got more chrome, forward controls, bigger tank, bigger front wheel. I thought owning a Harley was going to be cool but I seem to be getting is **** from people saying it is a lowly sportster, what the heck!!! I rode my friends FatBoy and I don't think I would even trade him, other than to sell it for the outrageous $$ I could get for it. Just too big to enjoy around town commute(I is probably better on the long haul but that is not my primary use), I am only 150lbs. and in the sport bike group smaller is better because of handling an maneuverabilty.Also until a few weeks ago I didn't even know so many HD existed. I don't think the average joe including me even knew that there is a dyna model or a superglide etc etc. Sportsters and maybe softails are what people know. All I know when I get on the throttle people know I have a Harley without even looking at it and that is what counts dammit. Its like people only what to respect you for buying a harley only if it costs over 12,000$
As it has been said a million times...opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one. Bottom line is this..if you like what you have, then that's all that's important.
Truth is, sportsters look cool to me. It's just that I'm a much bigger guy than you. (6' 1", 215 pounds) When I stand next to/sit on a sportster... custom or standard... they look/feel very small to me. That said, a fatboy looks small to me also. I got a wide glide because it's the longest bike in harley's lineup...and it was probably the only bike that I sat on that I didn't feel cramped. Even the big touring bikes put me in a position that made me feel a little cramped.
So the bottom line is, to each his own. If you fit that sportster, then enjoy it and be proud to own a harley. You may want to get something different someday....most sportster riders do. But I can say the same thing about me. One day, I'll probably want to get a tourer..just because their much more convenient when you want to take a lot of stuff with you. Plus, I certainly could get into having a stereo.
Don't forget....sportsters make up to close to 20 percent of harley sales. That's an aweful lot of sportster owners. Most guys that get a sportster and trade right away didn't really do the proper research or get on any demo rides before they bought...or, as you mentioned, didn't want to spend the cash...only to regret their purchase soon after. Then they realize that they need something bigger. In your case, being 150 pounds, I can't really see why you'd need something bigger. If you're doing mostly local riding, even more reason to have something small, fast, and fun around town. It sounds to me like you knew what you were buying ahead of time, and you're pretty happy with your decision. Don't pay attention to anyone giving you a hard time....especially metric riders

Todd

Old 09-11-2006, 04:45 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you mean to tell me you expect EVERYbody to know EVERYthing there is to know about each and every model if they intend on participating in the H D world? You must realize there are newcomers to the Harley Davidson product line and not everybody knows or have had the opportunity to see enough, to know enough about them all.

I haven't been in this Harley world for more than a few years, myself ... and I wouldn't be able to name all the models at 1st glance either. A lot of them I couldn't name, unless I see them side by side. I am learning, and hopefully I will never be too embassed to ask questions or made to feel like I shouldn't even ask. A little more patience with us newbe's would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
hep0950
Tourer

I'm a new rider and new Harley owner. Started riding in May. I first bought an 06 1200 Custom Sportster, then in June traded to the '06 Dyna 35th Anniversary Edition Superglide. Loved the Sportster, but love the Superglide more. To me it's the best of both worlds. Anyway, although I know the basic difference between the Sportster, Dyna, Softail, and Road Kings, I have a time with the actual model. I've had someone ask if I had a sportster when they saw me on my Superglide at a grocery store lot, and I just told him what it was. No big deal.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I keep telling people that it is a sportster all grown up

Old 09-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Psycho
Road Master

Challenge them to a race, 1/8th mile, then tell them to STFU already. Then ride what you like and forget about giving a damn about what others think about it. Anybody that thinks a sportster is a girls bike and fat boy is not, is a clown anyway. If there is a girls bike in the HD lineup, it's the softails.

I believe the sportster is also the oldest style harley still in production. If it's not the oldest, it's damn close.

Oh, you might mention that Sonny Bargers choice happened to be a sportster as well. Quick getaways maybe???

Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,110 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

.................................................. ......
I thought owning a Harley was going to be cool
but I seem to be getting is **** from people saying it is a lowly sportster,
All I know when I get on the throttle people know I have a Harley
without even looking at it and that is what counts dammit.
Challenge them to a race, 1/8th mile, then tell them to STFU already.
I believe the sportster is also the oldest style harley still in production.
If it's not the oldest, it's damn close.
I want another SportSter.

The SportSter made HD what it is today.

Here's a photo of Leo Payne in 1968
on a 1957 Sporty - 183 mph
he bought it new
the Turnip Eater:

mud

Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Psycho
Road Master

Anybody want to be the first to tell these guys that about half of them are riding girls bikes, or that their bikes aren't "real" harleys???

Anyone recognize the man up front???

[IMG]local://upfiles/15138/8BC72E69BE3F4454BAD0E66B001438D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Psycho
Road Master

What's Sonny on in this picture Mud?? Looks like an ironhead maybe?? The picture is a bit grainy, kind of hard to tell.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15138/0CE3040F6B3A400BB3FB858F724BC1A7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Mistaken for a Sporty?