Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistaken for a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TattoodCaptain
NO ONE mistakes this bad-*** ride for a Sporty
wow, that IS a nice sportster.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

LOL! just missing the rainbow tassels!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
RollinStone
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Joboo1966

The Sportster
The Sportster is a line of motorcycles produced continuously since 1957 by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Sportster models are designated in Harley-Davidson's product code by beginning with "XL". In 1952, the predecessors to the Sportster, the Model K Sport and Sport Solo motorcycles, were introduced. These models K, KK, KH, and KHK of 1952 to 1956 had a flat head engine, whereas the later XL Sportster models use an overhead valve engine. The first Sportster in 1957 featured many of the same details of the KH including the frame, fenders, large gas tank and front suspension. Sportster motorcycles are powered by a four-stroke, 45 degree V-twin engine in which both connecting rods, of the "fork and blade" or "knife & fork" design, share a common crank pin. The original Sportster engine was the Ironhead engine, which was replaced with the Evolution engine in 1986. Sportster engines, the 45" R, D, G & W Models 1929 side-valve motors, and the 'Big Twin' side-valve motors, which were: the flathead 74 cu in (1,213 cc) Models V, VL etc. (1930–1936), Models U and UL (1937–1948), and the 80 cu in (1,311 cc) models VH and VLH (1935–1936), models UH and ULH (1937–1941) have four separate cams, sporting one lobe per cam.
The cam followers used in Sportster engines, K models, big twin side valve models, and the side-valve W model series were a slightly shorter version of the followers used in the larger motors, but with the same 0.731-inch (19 mm) diameter body and 0.855-inch (22 mm) diameter roller follower since 1929. The company used similar cam followers for decades with minor changes, from the 1929 to the Eighties.

Sportster engines retained the K/KH design crankcase design, in which the transmission is contained in the same casting as the engine, and driven by the engine with a triple-row #35 chain primary drive and a multi-plate cable-operated clutch. Models since 1991 have five speeds; 1990 and earlier models had four speeds. The engine was mounted directly to the frame from 1957 through the 2003 model year. While this system allows the bike to be somewhat lighter with more precise handling, it also transmits engine vibration directly to the rider. Sportsters released in 2004 and later use rubber isolation mounts and tie links to limit engine movement to a single plane, which greatly reduces vibration felt by the rider. Buell motorcycles built with variants of the Sportster engine have used a rubber mount system since 1987.

The Model K, from which the Sportster evolved, was the first civilian motorcycle produced by Harley-Davidson with hydraulic shock absorbers on both wheels. Common usage calls this a K Model.

Modern Sportsters by name.
Nightster
Introduced in 2007, the XL1200N Nightster included (then) unique features such as a bobbed rear fender, front fork gaiters, and a side mount license plate. The riding position and 25.3-inch (643 mm) seat height of the Nightster are the same as those of the XL883L Sportster Low - UK version (along with Iron 883 and Forty-Eight) has central number plate, 13.5-inch rear shocks, tapered silencers, and combined LED indicator/tail/brake lights.

2010 Iron
The Harley Iron was released in 2009 as a smaller displacement version of the Nightster. The major differences are blacked out engine, cast wheels instead of laced; narrower handlebars; different seat, belt guard, and front mudguard, and of course the smaller engine displacement.

]XR1200
In the 2008 model year, Harley-Davidson released the XR1200 Sportster in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The XR1200 had an Evolution engine tuned to produce 91 bhp (68 kW), four-piston dual front disc brakes, and an aluminum swing arm. Motorcyclist featured the XR1200 on the cover of its July 2008 issue, and was generally positive about it in their "First Ride" story, in which Harley-Davidson was repeatedly asked to sell it in the United States.[7] One possible reason for the delayed availability in the United States was the fact that Harley-Davidson had to obtain the "XR1200" naming rights from Storz Performance, a Harley customizing shop in Ventura, Calif.[8] The XR1200 was released in the United States in 2009, in a special color scheme including Mirage Orange highlighting its dirt-tracker heritage. The first 750 XR1200 models in 2009 were pre-ordered and came with a number 1 tag for the front of the bike, autographed by Kenny Coolbeth and Scott Parker and a thank you/welcome letter from Harley-Davidson, signed by Bill Davidson. The XR1200 was discontinued on the United States Market for the 2013 lineup.

Forty-Eight
In the 2010 model year, Harley-Davidson introduced the XL1200X "Forty-Eight" model. It is similar to the "Dark" Nightster style but has the classic 1948 style small peanut tank, wire wheels, forward-controls, a wider front tire with a fat front end and chopped front fender, a slammed speedo with under mount mirrors, side-mounted license plate, low solo single seat, and low suspension.

Dynas
Dyna-frame motorcycles were developed in the 1980s and early 1990s and debuted in the 1991 model year with the FXDB Sturgis offered in limited edition quantities. In 1992 the line continued with the limited edition FXDB Daytona and a production model FXD Super Glide.
The new DYNA frame featured big-twin engines and traditional styling. They can be distinguished from the Softail by the traditional coil-over suspension that connects the swingarm to the frame, and far from the Sportster by their larger big twin engines. On these models, the transmission also houses the engine's oil reservoir.

Prior to 2008, Dyna models typically featured a narrow, XL-style front fork and front wheel, which the manufacturer included the letter "X" in the model designation to indicate. This lineup traditionally included the Super Glide (FXD), Super Glide Custom (FXDC), Street Bob (FXDB), and Low Rider (FXDL). One exception was the Wide Glide (FXDWG), which maintained the thickness of the XL forks and a narrow front wheel, but positioned the forks on wider triple-trees that give a beefier appearance.
In 2008, the Dyna Fat Bob (FXDF) was introduced to the Dyna lineup, featuring aggressive styling like a new 2–1–2 exhaust, twin headlamps, a 180 mm rear tire, and, for the first time in the Dyna lineup, a 130 mm front tire. For the 2012 model year, the Dyna Switchback (FLD) became the first Dyna to break the tradition of having an FX model designation: with detachable painted hard saddlebags, touring windshield, larger fork tubes, headlight nacelle and a wide front tire with full fender. The new front end resembled the big-twin FL models from 1968-1971. It also is listed by Harley as part of their touring range.
The Dyna family used the 88-cubic-inch (1,440 cc) twin cam from 1999 to 2006. In 2007, the displacement was increased to 96 cubic inches (1,570 cc) as the factory increased the stroke to 4.375 inches (111.1 mm). For the 2012 model year, the manufacturer began to offer Dyna models with the 103-cubic-inch (1,690 cc) upgrade. All Dyna models use a rubber-mounted engine to isolate engine vibration.
Designation
Dyna models utilize the big-twin engine (F), small-diameter telescopic forks similar to those used on the Sportster (X) until 2012 when one model used the large diameter forks similar in appearance to those used on the Touring (L) models, and the Dyna chassis (D). Therefore, except for the FLD from 2012 to the present, all Dyna models have designations that begin with FXD, e.g., FXDWG (Dyna Wide Glide) and FXDL (Dyna Low Rider).

So there you have it. I hope this helps the new shopper, being armed with some history and some knowledge will help you immensely when your at the dealership. The last thing you wanna do have the sales guy think you are a complete doofus who don't know the difference between these two real different machines. They will very often talk down to you...laugh under there breath and come across as rude. Many people have been turned off by this type of experience at the dealership mostly because their lack of knowledge proved to be an advantage to the sales person who unfortunately hasn't been trained in human people skills, and most of those people usually end up buying a Honda or a Victory because the sales guy talked down them. Do not let that happen to you.

Harley-Davidson's are awesome bikes, and knowing the difference between the sportster and Dyna could very well make the difference between having a wonderful experience from start to finish which is what I hope to accomplish with this from a dreadful one.

Lastly there is nothing more irritating to a Dyna owner than some uneducated novice walking up to them in a parking lot saying hey man nice sportster, its like telling someone with a Mustang Gt yo like they're Camaro. In terms of purchasing your first Harley-Davidson motorcycle it's very important to recognize and understand that each of these bikes whether it's a sportster or a Dyna, if that is indeed the choices you've narrowed it down to know that each model Serves a unique and distinct individual selective purpose. Pick the one that fits you best and don't worry about the stigma of the name. If the sportster wasn't popular or didn't sell they would've eliminated it along time ago, it's been a staple in the Harley-Davidson lineup for decades and the reason is quite simple, it is a wonderful machine...... it's not a Dyna tho.

I hope that this little rant of mine has given some information that will help people distinguish between The two models both out in the public realm or in the showroom at the dealership.

If you're new to the Harley-Davidson lineups and have questions Whether it's just general knowledge you're looking for or whether it's helping making a purchase remember that this forum is full of people with many many years of experience with many many different makes and models of these motorcycle and most of us if not all of us are content and eager to help you by giving you our knowledge and imparting upon you the wisdom comprised hundreds of years of experience collectively , anytime you want it's all there for the taking just ask.

Because in the end my friends it is on all of us to continue to increase the flock, educate those Who don't know the differences and to reach out to those in our community who are trying to reach out to us by paying us a compliment and inadvertently doing just the opposite.

Love and peace.
Great job summarizing Harleys. Once the anger lightened up, the rest of the note was great reading; you did a great job.

As for the mistakes people make... I figure I'm lucky when the clueless can at least distinguish my Harley from a counterfeit hardly...

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

what a funny/great thread. i just bought a dyna today and was heading home. while at the gas station a guy walked over and said "hey is that a sportster?". in my head i instantly recalled this thread and thought "what the f*ck did you just say to me?"

i tried to be nice and said no and continued my business as i was in a hurry. he wanted to buy the windshield on the bike. i said sure, but i live 2 hours away so....

anyways, i'd agree that my super glide in it's current stock, boring look can be mistaken for a sportster. but in a few weeks it will be different.

mike

Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Six16
Road Captain

People who nothing of Harley's typically call every model that is not a bagger a "sportster". However, a person who knows Harley's basics can distinguish between sportster, dyna and softail. With that being said, I think sportys are awesome bikes, so it doesn't bug me when a Harley know nothing refers to my bike as such.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I would just say to the person, "You don't know crap about Harleys, do you?".

Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never had anyone ask if mine was a Sportster. I generally get "did you ride that bike here?" Nope, had a helicopter drop it off so I can stand around by it and look cool.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Original Scourge
Cruiser

C'mon now, that's just crazy talk. Everyone knows that if it doesn't have bags, it's a Sportster. You're just messing with us, ya big nut!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I've never had anyone ask if mine was a Sportster. I generally get "did you ride that bike here?" Nope, had a helicopter drop it off so I can stand around by it and look cool.
I HAVE to give that one to my wife!!!!

Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mistaken for a Sporty?

I work at Advance Auto Parts and whenever I park my bike out front people come in and ask, "Who's that sportster out there?" I tell them its mine and its not a sportster...

I've had a few older guys actually argue with me over it.

At first I didnt mind because I figured it was just the ignorant showing their knowledge, but then it happened over and over. Just bugs me.

Anyone else have this problem?

Heres a pic; since this was taken I've added a sissybar.

And this was taken last week.

Obviously not a sportster.

Quick Reply: Mistaken for a Sporty?