Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistaken for a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
schmittles
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had someone ask me if my Street Bob was a Nightster. This was coming a guy who told me he owned a Nighster. I was a little taken back by the question since he owned a sportster. But I smiled and politely informed him it was a Street Bob.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Yep, and somewhat of a dick.
Yes I am

But you what I'm not? Insecure that somebody doesn't know or hold dear the kind of motorcycle I ride or truck I drive.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that a couple times- I usually just correct them, explain the differences in detail (the funny thing is they will usually hang around to hear it), and then laugh to myself, because they will undoubtedly use their newly found knowledge to impress their buddies later. I don't really get offended by the mistake- but I also own a sportster. Damn fine bikes IMHO.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 AM
beringer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in the UK we obviously have a lot less Harleys so most people would not have any idea of the different models. I ride a Fatbob, and when asked what bike I ride I tell them, and the usual reply is 'Ah, like Arnie rides in Terminator'............

Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM
tpmcd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post. A lot of people, especially those who don't ride at all, think that the only two Harley's made are Sportsters or Electra Glides. If it doesn't have bags and a windshield it must be a Sportster.

I have a Dyna FLD Switchback. Had a guy in a parking lot last year comment that he didn't know they made an Electra Glide that small.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by tpmcd
Nice post. A lot of people, especially those who don't ride at all, think that the only two Harley's made are Sportsters or Electra Glides. If it doesn't have bags and a windshield it must be a Sportster.

I have a Dyna FLD Switchback. Had a guy in a parking lot last year comment that he didn't know they made an Electra Glide that small.
That's exactly right about people thinking there's only two models.

The funny thing about people saying that the Switchback is "small." If you park one next to the original Panhead or Shovelhead Electraglide, the Switchback is the bigger bike. Harleys have really bloated up in the last 30 years. My Street Bob is bigger than a Shovelhead Electraglide with the fairing and bags removed. So when Softail or bagger riders talk about how "small" dynas are, it lets me know that they really don't know much about Harleys.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 862 Posts

I've owned three Sportsters. I really like them, and they are plenty fast! Only problem is, if you are taller than 5'7" and weigh more than 140 lbs. you look ridiculous riding one. Since I'm 6' and 225 lbs., they're just too small for me. Why HD doesn't make them "bigger" is beyond me. I rode a buddy's Sportster last year, and coming off my FXDC onto his Sportster, I felt like I was riding a bicycle! There's just "nothing there" on a Sportster. I really liked the XR1200, but since they quit making them, I don't fit on any of the other Sportster configurations. However, I'll never disrespect them or the guys who ride them! As I said, if I were smaller, I'd be riding one myself!

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 03-24-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Yes I am

But you what I'm not? Insecure that somebody doesn't know or hold dear the kind of motorcycle I ride or truck I drive.
You're the one that felt a need to walk up to a perfect stranger and demean what he was driving. WTF is with that?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad
You're the one that felt a need to walk up to a perfect stranger and demean what he was driving. WTF is with that?
Who cares he was having a little fun!
Take it easy boys!

I've been asked many times if my bike was a sportster the obvious answer "no" If it's a cute girl I may take advantage of the occasion to strike up a conversation, any guy just gets the short answer! I have better things to do.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
2011BlackDyna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really is a 6/5 th scale Sportster with upgrades and improvements and that is a really good thing.

Quick Reply: Mistaken for a Sporty?