Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistaken for a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Oh, REALLY?

Just got one of those kind of comments yesterday. "Wow, that Harley is really in great shape for an older one. What year is it?"

Guy about crapped right there when I calmly said, "2012."

I guess he needs to read up more on Harleys? Nah.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Back in 2010, I walked into the dealership with the intention of test riding and purchasing an Iron 883.... rode out of there on the Street Bob! Best decision I ever made!

Sorry to you Sportster fans but those are some weak bikes! Double the motor and the 6th gear are worth the extra price of admission alone. With that said, I would rather ride a Sportster than a Jap cruiser.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
... Sorry to you Sportster fans but those are some weak bikes! Double the motor and the 6th gear are worth the extra price of admission alone. With that said, I would rather ride a Sportster than a Jap cruiser.
I certainly agree with you, had a pickup truck pull away from my 883 at a light the other day. Was 2 up, but still... When I got it, thought being a bit on the old side and retired, I'd just get a ride around the area bike, but didn't take long to get the yearning back for extended rides, and the solid mount sporty vibrates something awful around 65 & up. Comfortable enough below vib speed, but who wants to spend all day at 60? I know, I'm spoiled, would have seemed like a 2 wheeled limousine with a monster motor back in my 60's Honda days.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM
darkcvc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never got that question but people regularly ask me what year mine is, thinking I am going to say like 40's or something, when I say 2006, they always go "Really??"

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

I'd take it as a compliment. HD used to write the truth in its advertising.

No one has ever asked me if my little Sportster was a Dyna...

Attached Thumbnails Mistaken for a Sporty?-img_0564.jpg   Mistaken for a Sporty?-img_0358.jpg  

Last edited by mrlexus; 04-26-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to work with a dude that would show up at work all pissed off because someone asked him "is that a Harley?" Happened to him all the time LMAO.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Cansoldier
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread,Reminded me when a couple months back this guy (douche) at work corners me to tell me about a guy on a Harley who pulled up beside him riding his kawasaki that looked like a Harley?(He wishes) and said "Hey nice harley" lol

Yeah right....

Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Yes, it's a Harley, not a Honda

Originally Posted by Cansoldier
Great thread,Reminded me when a couple months back this guy (douche) at work corners me to tell me about a guy on a Harley who pulled up beside him riding his kawasaki that looked like a Harley?(He wishes) and said "Hey nice harley" lol

Yeah right....
Reminds me of something that happened about two weeks after I got my Switchback. Guy pulls up by me at a light on a Honda Shadow and says, "I've been trying to catch up to you and see what your bike was. I thought it was a Honda but it's a Harley. Harley's don't usually look that good and they always run like crap." To which I replied, just before the light changed, "Uh-huh" And when the light turned green I actually got on it (one of the few times I have.) Pulled away and never had the guy catch up to me again.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Cansoldier
Advanced

Originally Posted by numismaddict
Reminds me of something that happened about two weeks after I got my Switchback. Guy pulls up by me at a light on a Honda Shadow and says, "I've been trying to catch up to you and see what your bike was. I thought it was a Honda but it's a Harley. Harley's don't usually look that good and they always run like crap." To which I replied, just before the light changed, "Uh-huh" And when the light turned green I actually got on it (one of the few times I have.) Pulled away and never had the guy catch up to me again.

I wonder if he went out and bought a Harley,after you school'd him!! lol

Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM
nysdeucerider
Advanced
Cool Cam?

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
I was NAPA a while back my GTO was idling in the parking lot,the kid behind the counter asks me what size cam you got in that thing? my reply ....extra large
*LOL* Love your answer!

I was getting gas in my 57 Chevy hot rod years ago and the antenna was about to whip the bejeepers outa my paint because of the radical idle of my 358 SB. The attendant leaned over, and like we were sharing government security secrets, says "Betcha got a cam in there, huh?" Being blessed with Clark Kent looks and the ability to keep a straight face, I glanced around and told him "Actually no, I'm with Toyota's (!) Secret Competition Research and Development Division and we're developing electronic 'popper' solenoids to bypass all the wasted mechanical energy absorbed by cams, gears and chains. Every valve is controlled electronicly via a printed circuit, which in turn tells the solenoid when and how far to open the valve." I went on to tell him that by simply inserting a different chip I could instantly change it from super race profile producing over 800 hp to a cruiser that would net 28-30 MPG and idle like butter. He was still standing there slack jawed when I pulled onto the street and lit 'er up! *LMAO* Gotta love it! If we aren't supposed to spoof people like that once in a while, why are there ones out there just beggin' for it?

Quick Reply: Mistaken for a Sporty?