Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistaken for a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: why do people keep asking if my bike is a sportster?

ORIGINAL: Joe376

Hell, at a certain “trendy” HD dealer here in Dallas, I ride up and walk in to be greeted by a salesman who says “Hey, I like those ape hangers on your sporty”. I say, “it’s a Street Bob, just like the one youre standing next to”. He says, “oh” then walks off. : )
so much for the first rule of sales - know your product![:@] then again maybe he'll sell you a bob for the price of a sporty?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm 6' tall and weigh 225 lbs- All bikes look like a sporty on me... lol

Dig my FDX!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't get it either. To me, the motor always stands out. Maybe that is because back when I started, there were still a lot of knuckles, pans and flatheads in addition to the shovels and sportsters so you just got used to recognizing engine differences.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Joe376
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

so much for the first rule of sales - know your product![:@] then again maybe he'll sell you a bob for the price of a sporty?
I can dig that.. : )

I don’t think the salesmen at some of these dealers really care about the product they are selling. To some, or even most, I bet its just another job.

ORIGINAL: Tony P

I'm 6' tall and weigh 225 lbs- All bikes look like a sporty on me... lol

Dig my FDX!
You know, I never thought of that. Im 6-3, 230… and Ive never stepped back and took a look at my self on my bike. For obvious reasons but you could be on to something. : )

Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get this quite often. As Airborne stated, it mostly due to ignorance.

I will be the first to admit that I didn't know a whole lot about Dynas, until I sat on one and decided it was the bike for me. Something just clicked right. After that, it was all about learning something about all of the diffrent Harley lines and models. Most folks, including alot of Harley owners I have run across, do not get very involved in the Harley history as much as I think that they should.

I run into so many parts guys that don't have a clue about the most basic concepts of the bikes they sell parts for and it's even worse among the salesmen. Most of them are hoping you don't know jack **** about bikes in order to make their job easier. So, you can't expect the average dude on the street to have much of a clue, he just see's a Harley badge and wants to compliment you. I take the "sporty" things in stride and just smile and ride off on 96 cu. of American power.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

The "Sportster" line has been around for 30 years so my guess is that it could be the only HD model they know by name.
The Sportster(XL) is now 51 years old this year. There used to be Sportsters, FLs and FXs back in the day. The "Dyna" didnt come until waylater but the FX is the grandfather of todays Dyna.The FL are the grandfather to todays touringbikes. The "Softail" came much later as well when HD hid the rear shocks.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

"why do people keep asking if my bike is a sportster?"

Because they are idiots!!!
One of theguys I ride with (rides an Ultra Classic) kept asking what kind of Sporty my Low Rider was.
After telling him several times it is a Dyna, I changed my approach. I asked him how he liked his Road Glide.

He stopped asking about my bike.

Sammi

Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
grizzly
Road Master

The "Sportster" line has been around for 30 years so my guess is that it could be the only HD model they know by name. It's like when people wander up and ask "how many cc's?" and I explain that since it's an American bike it doesn' have cc's but that it's 88 cubic inches.

(and before somebody points it out.... yes, I know it's 1450. I'm just making a point.)
I beleive the Sporty is 50 years old isnt it? (1957 -2007)

Anyhow, I think that everyone is pretty much on point. Baggers....Soft tails....and Sporties. Thats what Johnny Q Public knows. I think thats one reason I like the Dynas better. Not mainstream. However, with the "Bob" craze we are in, Dynas may be back on the map. Street Bob was a huge hit. Now the Fat Bob.

Oh, and dont take it as an insult, Sportsters are bad *** bikes. (I prefer pre 03, as the newer ones look like "mini Dynas") People ragging on Sportsers, Not knowing the difference between models, etc. are just showing their ignorance about it all. Let em go. Never makes much sense to argue with an idiot.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wbogley

The "Sportster" line has been around for 30 years so my guess is that it could be the only HD model they know by name.
The Sportster(XL) is now 51 years old this year. There used to be Sportsters, FLs and FXs back in the day. The "Dyna" didnt come until waylater but the FX is the grandfather of todays Dyna.The FL are the grandfather to todays touringbikes. The "Softail" came much later as well when HD hid the rear shocks.
Huh? You mean 1957 from 2007 ain't 30?? I never claimed to be a math major......

LMAO

Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM
grizzly
Road Master

lol [8D]

Quick Reply: Mistaken for a Sporty?