Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:12 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master
Default Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....

Well, I am a total newb when it comes to riding guys, so please bear with me!

I have a 2003 HD dyna...I know it's an anniversary edition but other than that I have NO idea what I have here! Would the VIN help me out with that? Are their tell-tale signs to look for to differentiate?

Also, I would really love to have a set of saddle-bags. Where do I even start!? I went to the H-D website and it just seems so complicated!!! Not to mention expensive!

I'm a shade-tree mechanic, but I don't have any type of maintenance history on this bike, and I have no experience with bike mechanics. I was thinking about taking it to the stealership for the first round and then going DIY from there on out.

Thanks in advance for the help guys! I know newbs are troublesome and some-what annoying....I hate being in these shoes! LOL

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:30 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

First, what model dyna do you have? Also wondering what paint you have?

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:31 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Congrats and welcome. The only thing you should go to the dealership for is the Factory Service Manual. You can do anything with that book. Go through the maintenance list, definitely change all the oils. Go through the list of critical fasteners and check every other nut and bolt. Plus this forum will help you do anything.

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:32 PM
Doug Bromley
Cruiser

Welcome from Chandler,az I am a newbie too I just bought a 10 wide glide.

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:04 PM
tom mason
Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.great place to ask questions and get answers a lot of good people on here,good luck youll get it.from east tennessee.......

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:08 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
First, what model dyna do you have? Also wondering what paint you have?
I have no idea When i run the VIN on the internet it comes back to a "2003 FXD", I don't know what that really means.

I've been wrenching on cars my entire life. Currently I have a fully built and blown grand prix GTP in the garage...she's my baby.

But I've gotten the riding bug pretty bad. Nothing beats being on that bike cruising around.

Thanks for the tips guys! I will go ahead and pick up the service manual for the bike....once I can figure out what service manual to get! LOL!!!

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:09 PM
roadrashburns
Novice

Welcome from Arkansas. I'm a nooby too to this forum and to harley's. This is a great place to find all kinds of tricks and tips. oh +1

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:14 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

2003 Dyna is all you will need to know to get a manual. FXD is the superglide (grey motor), but it's still a 2003 Dyna no matter how you look at it, so you're good.

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:24 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Yes, yes it does have a grey motor! LOL!!!! I will snap some pics of the bike and post them up this weekend. I have A LOT of cleaning to still do on this bike! wheels are severely pitted....engine block.....jeez, I just wish he didn't store it outside for 3 years

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:31 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
Yes, yes it does have a grey motor! LOL!!!! I will snap some pics of the bike and post them up this weekend. I have A LOT of cleaning to still do on this bike! wheels are severely pitted....engine block.....jeez, I just wish he didn't store it outside for 3 years
That sucks!! WD40 works great at cleaning the motor. Spray it and wipe. No fix for the pitted rims other then buying new ones.

Quick Reply: Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....