Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010 | 07:09 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior

Since you're new to Harleys you may well have some misconceptions. Older (shovels, pans, flatties, knucks) had a fairly well deserved reputation for leaking. The Evo pretty much ended this and by the time the Twinkies came out (99-2000 depending on model) Harleys have been no more prone to leaks than metrics or cages.

That's important given the history of your bike. If gaskets or seals dried up, you'll see leaks and know what and where you need to start wrenching.

As others have said, get the service manual. Also spring for the Parts Manual - the exploded drawings and part numbers make it much easier to understand what the Svc Manual is trying to say since some of the photos in the SM kinda suck. My attitude toward dealerships is diametrically opposed to many on the 'net - I've benefited tremendously from making friends with the best parts guy and best service manager at the local dealer. I've gotten tons of free advice and saved bunches of money not buying parts I didn't need. If you try this, best not to refer to them as thieves.

Here's a decent site for learning some basics about HD history and models.
http://www.factoryfat.com/hdmotorhistory.html

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:50 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master

Go here

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...bmLocale=en_US

Put in your serial number, it will tell you exactly what bike you have.

Congrats on the new bike and have fun!

Old 05-01-2010 | 12:22 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

+1 on the purchase of the Service Manual and the Parts Manual. The service manual, while not perfect, is a hell of a lot better than most, and these bikes are really pretty straightforward to work on....you're gonna have a great time on your Dyna! The bike is finally gonna get the attention it deserves. Congratulations!

Old 05-01-2010 | 12:49 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Welcome to the forum fom the Netherlands and conrats on the "new" bike, HarleyGTP!

Go here and you'll find the p/n 's for your technical documentation:

Official Dyna service part# thread

Go her for metric bolts and nuts sizes info:

***dyna models metric sizes database***

Go here for a

***Write-up on how to add images to a post***

Go here for Dyna wiring diagram info:

***Dyna Models Wiring Diagram Links Index***

I found all my books at Ebay...use the p/n's in the search query and I'm sure you'll find some interesting auctions.

Here're some links to 2003 Dyna models:

Harley-Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide
Harley-Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider
Harley-Davidson FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
Harley-Davidson FXDX Dyna Super Glide Sport
Harley-Davidson FXDXT Dyna Super Glide T-Sport

Let us know which one is yours....

Enjoy the bike and ride safe!

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:15 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Wow guys!! Thanks a lot for all the great information!!!!

So I've come to find out the bike is definitely a 2003 Dyna Super Glide. Now do you think I'd be able to find the service and parts manual on ebay or something before going to the dealership for them??

Old 05-01-2010 | 09:04 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=dmftoy1;6648956

Personally I wouldn't worry about any gaskets until you've got it cleaned up and been riding it a bit. I would change out all the fluids immediately. If you start to see leaks then worry about gaskets.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave[/QUOTE]
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................

+ 1 on the gaskets.
Welcome from Michigan. I have seen service manual's on e-bay but if you don't have a lot of time you may need to order one from a dealer for a 03... best of luck to you.

Old 05-02-2010 | 08:35 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Well, i purchased the owners manual from ebay. found some service and parts catalogs on there also! I emailed the seller to see if he'll combine shipping to save some money so I'll see where I'm at. How much do the manuals go for from the dealer? Does anyone know??

Also, how can I adjust the pre-load on my suspension???

Old 05-03-2010 | 10:14 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
Well, i purchased the owners manual from ebay. found some service and parts catalogs on there also! I emailed the seller to see if he'll combine shipping to save some money so I'll see where I'm at. How much do the manuals go for from the dealer? Does anyone know??

Also, how can I adjust the pre-load on my suspension???
The Service Manual retails for 60 USD...

There are some dealers though who will give a 20% rebate:

www.LSHD1.com
www.Zanottimotor.com
www.chicagoharley.com

www.latus-harley-davidson.com offers free shiping for orders over 149 USD

They all have a database so when you know the p/n(s) you need, go to their databases and look up the prices...

Pre-laod on the stock rear shock is ajusted by using this type of wrench to turn the lower exterior part of the shock:

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 05-03-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2010 | 02:10 PM
jto667
Tourer

Ok I'm dying to know, sounds like you found a great bike someone decided to ignore...kinda like so many of the hot rods we see sitting in weeds out in the country.....if I might ask....how much? If you'd rather not I understand, but I love to hear stories of other guys good fortune....just wish I'd find em someday!!

Congrats on your new toy. The fun is just beginning!

Old 05-03-2010 | 02:53 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Thanks for the information guys!

I'd rather not say how much I paid for the bike....but let's just say it was quite a deal!!!

Looks like I can grab the service manual and parts catalog for just shy of 100 beans!

Quick Reply: Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....