Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:43 PM
Nick0915
Cruiser

3 years huh? Was the thing at least covered up???? Either way...it looks like a new complete gasket set might be in your very near future......Get the manual...follow the directions, and go through the bike top to bottom before going too far away from home. I've been stranded on a bike that I thought was road worthy before...it sucks!

Also...S100 Engine Brightener is MAGIC! Will make anything faded look like new again...$7 bucks or so at the stealership

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:43 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Urrrgh, the motor won't be too bad to clean up, but the rims are going to be a bitch. They don't look TOO far gone, but I'm going to have to have the tires taken off and media blast them to have any chance in saving them....

I'm quite the chrome/polish fanatic:

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:46 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

It sat under a gazebo...so no accumulated snow or anything, but it was out in the elements...

Seems to run well for being what it is, I'm sure a tune up is needed though, along with fluid changes all around. The manual should guide me through these things correct?

Also, how hard is the gasket set to replace? Am I looking at major engine disassembly here?

Old 04-30-2010 | 10:53 PM
Nick0915
Cruiser

Oh yeah...to change all the gaskets you're looking at a complete tear down...good winter project if you trust the current gaskets can last through your riding season. I'm just saying...a bike that sat outside for 3 years...what kind of regular maintenance was done on it? Any?? Were the fluids still full when you bought it?? If it did have regular maintenance and fluids were always kept in it, you may be OK.

Edit: Whenever I buy something used or worn, I trust nothing that was told to me unless it's under some type of warranty. That way you have a fresh slate to start from and can start your own documentation if there was none before.

Last edited by Nick0915; 04-30-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2010 | 11:00 PM
The Dean
Road Master

Dont rush the cleaning. There is plenty of time to ride. Do it right.

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:08 PM
HarleyGTP
|
Road Master

Nick, I have NO idea when it comes to maintenance. I am going to do like I do with my cars: Assume NO regular maintenance was done....and start from here. Fluids were all full though when I got it. No leaks....seems to run well. But then again I have no base line to decide whether or not the bike is "running well"

Dean: Thanks man, Yea I have come to learn patience when it comes to cleaning! LOL

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:19 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't let the fact that it is a motorcycle discourage you from trying to wrench on it, it is basic stuff, if you can wrench on a lawn mower or car,and have a basic understanding on the operation of the engine, and can follow instructions. All else is easy, BUT you will still need a service manual.

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:42 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

Is the speedo mounted on the tank, or the bars?

Change the fluids and run it. You'll find out if it leaks anywhere!

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:46 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

get a service manual and get to know an indy shop in your area.

i don't take my bike to harley for anything.

i do it myself or go to my buddies at the indy shop.

good luck, post some pics, and welcome to the forum.

Old 05-01-2010 | 05:47 AM
dmftoy1
Tourer

Congrats on the new bike! The manuals are great, much better written than most auto manuals I've used. I've actually found it ALOT easier to work on the harley than on any car because most things are really easily accessible. (IMHO) I thought the clutch adjustment was going to be hard until I did it one time . .now I'm thinking . .wow. .that was easy.

Personally I wouldn't worry about any gaskets until you've got it cleaned up and been riding it a bit. I would change out all the fluids immediately. If you start to see leaks then worry about gaskets.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: Absolute, total NEW GUY, at your mercy....questions....