Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Stereo, Sorta Custom...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
FIDDY3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Stereo, Sorta Custom...

Hey fellas,

So ive been reading and researching stereo systems for bikes for the past couple weeks. Yeah, I know, want a stereo, buy a bagger, but hey, not all of us are ready to make that switch quite yet. So being a professional car audio installer for 15 years, I though I could come up with something a little more custom for my '10 WG than what I have seen floating around. So I had a few thoughts, 1. I wanted to do a Flyscreen, 2. I have 1 1/4" bars, so clamp style speakers wouldnt work right out of the box. 3. I wanted it to be as stealth as possible and 4. It needed to be reasonably removable. I wanted to do the DWG 2" speakers and amp setup, but they are out of stock until mid to late May, so I ended up buying the Pyle PLMCA30 2 1/4 speaker/amp setup off of Egay for $85 shipped. I read mixed reviews on the system, but for that price, Im willing to gamble. So after getting a flyscreen from HD member bberck, and both the speakers and screen showing up today, I quickly got to work.

I decided to modify the way the flyscreen is mounted and mount the speakers on the inside of the screen with the bolts that came with the speakers ran through the screen....

Ipod mount...

I then painted the inside of the flyscreen to help conceal the speakers a bit...

Overall shot...

So heres the bottom line....

The system is "decent", not great. The amp drives the speakers way beyond the point of distortion. There is no crossover at the amp to filter the bass out of the speakers, the result is 2" speakers attempting to produce waaaay more bass that they are capable of. I actually damaged one of the speakers pretty bad with some rap turned up a bit too high. As far as volume is concerned, they get pretty loud, but with the bike in the garage and the garage door shut, and the bike idling, I cant hear ****. Now I cant report on the performance on the road as its 40 here tonight and Im not that worried about it for now. So it seems that I have a "parking lot" system thatll be fun to show off while parked, but until I can test it on the road, my assumption is that Ill be wearing my headphones while doing any riding over 45 mph.

Ill follow up when I can get some seat time with the system playing at speed.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the PLMCA60. You gotta point the speakers at you not up in the air.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats awesome. After I saw the first pic, I said to my self, that thing would look great painted black! Then I scrolled down. Looks great!!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant see the pics....

Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

Here are links to a couple threads I started that relate to bar mounted speaker systems.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...o-w-video.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...a-awesome.html

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job. I'm guessing that you're correct; should sound pretty good in a parking lot, but unfortunately not very good when riding at speeds over 40 MPH.

Any chance you can mount the speakers so they are pointed at you? That and the flyscreen may better direct the sound making it better on the road.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

I can hear my system up to about 65 mph.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good man

I see you didnt have any problem getting it to mount to a wideglide. Looks like the brakets on the screen slid out far enought you didnt need spacers?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:32 PM
FIDDY3
Cruiser

Yeah bberck, it mounted up perfect with no spacers needed! Thanks again!
As for the speakers being pointed directly at me, they are as close as they can get and still accomplish the look and design Im after. If it ever warms up here, Ill check em out on the road!

Jaison