Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire on/off switch to headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: How to wire on/off switch to headlight?

G'day,
I asked this question months ago and got the right answer, (do a search), then I did it and it was simple and works fine...... Buy a 15amp switch, then find the headlights' earth wire in the head light shell (black one), just put the switch in line and drill a small hole in your headlight shell (underneath outta sight is good), and that's it.....all done. (you can get a rubber boot to cover the switch if water could be a problem. This of course knocks out both high and low beam, but of course the tail light still works. It is just like a blown bulb in that there is no electrical damage because you cut into the earth side. Like others said, don't over engineer things.
PS: you will need to do the same for the tail light to help you with "getaways".

cya
Graham.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:07 PM
clinkowich
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi --almost all MC collisions (except from rear) is that the 'cager' did not see the MC -- even in broad daylight . are you sure you want to do this??????

Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<”clinkowich”>

<”hi --almost all MC collisions (except from rear) is that the 'cager' did not see the MC -- even in broad daylight . are you sure you want to do this?????? “>

Do you think riding in the day w/the headlight on, is all the time safer ? in every condition ?

The one thing the people in charge who make the rules don’t often tell, is the whole story.

Headlights on do make you more noticeable fact ! they also give the projected view of the m/c (or car) going slower than it really is (coming at you).

So what is really the difference when some cage driver ready to pull out looks up the road see you (headlight on) but thinks your really going slower than you are ? pulls out in front of you, talking on her/his cell looks in the rear view mirror, thinks hmmm, why is this guy going off the road ? Oh yeah like I said, large pizza w/mushrooms, ok 20 mins.

Pizza is the last thing on your mind now.

It’s was just like the head of the US transportation that women under Carter wanted air bags in auto’s NOW ! thought GM was stalling, GM came back w/a design show the car to her, she said I want the air bags to come out faster, GM said, not a good idea, they are made to work w/seat belts ! she said some people don’t wear seat belts, so make them come out faster ! GM told her air bags w/o the use of seat belts is dangerous to small height people (or kids) ! she made them fire the air bags out faster.
The result the gov made the car companies put air bags in the cars, the gov & the do-gooders all pat themselves on the backs, everybody’s happy, air bags a good thing, right ?

Not too the hundreds of people who died not wearing their seat belts w/ air bags going off, so after the law suits (GM, FORD,all of them) paid, guess what they did, all slowed down the air bag deployment !

Just like GM said over 12 years before, talking to that do-gooder bureaucrat !

Just some things in history, that I don’t forget.
Yes I ride lot of time (daylight) w/headlight on, and w/my eyes open.

cj

Old 06-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Brent Davis
Stage I
Default Quick to judgement

People are really quick to judge. He never really gave an exact example of when he would need this. I personally want to do this because I work nights at a secure facility and when approaching the gate I would like to kill my headlight so that the security guard is able to see my badge and let me in the facility. The gate area is well lit from above so there is no safety risk. Just a thought though guys. Try not to clutter a post with your useless comments based on conclusions you leapt to.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:47 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,444 Likes on 5,030 Posts

Start a new thread, you apparently didn`t notice this thread has been dead for 14 years.

When you ask a question on a technical forum, you must tell us the model and year, and any modifications to the system in question.

Don`t make rules for us on your first post...

If you criticize peoples answers, you won`t get many afterward.

It`s a forum, and you are going to get opinions, and often the discussions will wander off track, that`s just the way it works, and why it is fun....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-26-2020 at 05:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brent Davis (06-26-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 08:21 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

What a way to start

Old 06-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,008 Likes on 2,557 Posts

If you are intent on doing this it is not necessary to cut any wires.

Make a small harness with a plug and socket to put in line where the headlamp harness connects to the main harness. In this new extra bit of wiring you can choose to use a switch or relay. Crucially you will be able to back out.

Cutting into the loom is so prone to errors and this forum is littered with threads of "all I did was this and now I have this problem".

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-27-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:31 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
this forum is littered with threads of "all I did was this and now I have this problem".

Yes, and also full of electrical advice without knowing the model or year machine being worked on...

Which could result in a thread of "all I did was this and now I have this problem"......

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:14 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
If you are intent on doing this it is not necessary to cut any wires.

Make a small harness with a plug and socket to put in line where the headlamp harness connects to the main harness. In this new extra bit of wiring you can choose to use a switch or relay. Crucially you will be able to back out.

Cutting into the loom is so prone to errors and this forum is littered with threads of "all I did was this and now I have this problem".
NOW you tell me!

All I did was remove the wire harness and now the bike won't do anything. Anybody know where the red wire goes?

Last edited by cggorman; 06-27-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:43 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
NOW you tell me!

All I did was remove the wire harness and now the bike won't do anything. Anybody know where the red wire goes?

Can`t help without model and year.....

Quick Reply: How to wire on/off switch to headlight?