Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars: Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 AM
Supernaut72
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebars: Advice

I had a 2010 FXD I'm looking to change out the stock bars for drag. I find the riding position of the stock bars comfortable and would like the drag bars to be in ballpark of those since I tend to take a lot of road trips I dont want to be hunched forward for hours at a time.

So searching around there are so many sizes of bars and risers I thought I might ask you guys for some advice as to what to look for. I'm not looking to break the bank on this purchase and for the time being just unbolt everything and stick it all back on the new bars.

I've seen a lot of 5 1/2 and 6 in pull back risers, that looks to be a good height but what about the bars and all the "angles" they have, I want to stay away from the "broomstick" stye. will those risers be tall and pulled back enough?

the other part of my question is speedo mounts, I hate the stock speedo mount any would like to flip it around so it stops blinding me when the sun hits it. is this possible? is there a mount for that? if not I have looked at some other speedo gauges, maybe even splurge for a digital one, any sugesstions here would be appreciated. any good web stores you can point me too would also be appreciated.

THanx

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag bars with built-in risers can have a pullback up to 11 or so inches. With 6-8" risers they should give you similar height to your present bars. Or you can go with pullback risers and a separate bar, which gives more adjustability for bar position. Check out J&P Cylces, Custom Chrome, or Flanders for a broad variety of styles. They generally include dimensions.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's my suggestion:

Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The first bars I put on had about 8 inch of rise and because of how T-Bars come up from the trees the bars were a little lower than the stock buckhorns even though they had more rise. They came back about the same distance.

When I did my tank swap to move the speedo off the bars I wanted the bars higher and farther back so went with the 9 inch Carilini Super Sweeps with 11.5 inchs of pull back. This are about the same height as what the stock bars were but come back farther and are wider.

I mocked alot of different bars up and to get around the same height from a T-bar you need some with 9 to 10 inches of rise depending on the bend. Ones with 6 inchs of rise is going to lean you over more than stock.

As far as Speedo mounts you can use a accutronix mount to mount to T-bars and if the bars are tall enough you may be able to mount them under but not sure. Carlini also has some nice looking speedo cups but would have to relocate your idiot lights. If do some searching you can find alot of info on speedo mounts for a FXD including some guys that made there own mounts.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Supernaut72
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First to SC-Longhair ha! that pic screams comfort, but I will incure an unforseen cost as I search for the specially designed Willie G arm tournquets or pressurized riding jacket.

to bberck, thanxs for the info, something to think about I do like the look of the lower profile risers but sometimes comfort must outweigh looks, you said your bars are wider, how wide? I measured the stock bars and there 27in and change wide. As far as speedo I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going with a digital one to have a clean sleek look.

how did you mock up bars? I guess this would be a good to get an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm leaning with seprate bars and risers, and does the bar "fatness" make a diffrence{EG: 1in round or 1'1/4 in } or is that all for looks.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Supernaut72
First to SC-Longhair ha! that pic screams comfort, but I will incure an unforseen cost as I search for the specially designed Willie G arm tournquets or pressurized riding jacket.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supernaut72

to bberck, thanxs for the info, something to think about I do like the look of the lower profile risers but sometimes comfort must outweigh looks, you said your bars are wider, how wide? I measured the stock bars and there 27in and change wide. As far as speedo I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going with a digital one to have a clean sleek look.

how did you mock up bars? I guess this would be a good to get an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm leaning with seprate bars and risers, and does the bar "fatness" make a diffrence{EG: 1in round or 1'1/4 in } or is that all for looks.
My current bars are 32 inchs wide. As far as 1 or 1 1/4 I think its mainly looks but may help in vibration as well. Most your T-bars are going to be 30+ inchs wide but if go with seperate risers and bars you can go narrow on the bars if thats what you like. You can also go shorter on the risers depending on what bars you put on since some will also have some pull back.

As far as mocking up bars I packed a few tools and a towel to the local Indy I have a good relationship with. Unbolted the bars and layed them on the towel out of the way the best I could. Then I took out almost every set of bars he had out to the parking lot to get Idea what size I was wanting.