Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Shocks - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Shocks - opinions

Now that I have the True Track in house ready to install this weekend, I am thinking about replacing the shocks on my FXDF. Progressive shocks come up a lot in the forum, so I took a look at their website, and I really like the look of the black 430 series. I am thinking about the 11" set; am I right in thinking they are 1" shorter than the stock shocks that are on the bike? Any benefits/detractions in doing this? I was thinking it would look cool to lower the back end a bit.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Zinje
Tourer

I have the 418 progressives. No problems so far... much better than stock. I got a great deal on them from ebay though. If i had the extra cash i would probably get works shocks instead.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of 440s on the rear of my Lowrider. I lowered the bike an inch and I haven't had any issues with bottoming out, however the ride is slightly harsher than stock when on a very bumpy road. I have Progressive stock height springs on the front and they made a huge improvement. They are much smoother and the diving was eliminated almost completely. Look for deals on the web and on eBay. I found my 440s for less than $200 new. They are normally over $600 or so.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 AM
jsta
Novice
Default Progressive 430's

I've installed the 430's on my 2007 Low Rider. No issues bottoming out (I have the heavy duty springs), however I find that the ride is only marginally better than with the stock shock. It's to be expected though - with the shorter travel on 11'' shocks. I have to play a bit with the pre-load still - I'm not sure its dialled in optimally.

The bike looks way cool sitting even lower.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Works shocks would be my recommendation.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the 412's but the lower ride in the rear, if you do not also lower the front, seems to change the rake angle a bit and causes the bike to be "more stable" (for lack of a better term) and I noticed more turning effort is required to lean over and it wants to stand up more by itself. Nothing terrible, just a slight difference. I like the ride better than the stock shocks too but it seems a bit more springy.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

get works shocks for the same $$. Or try out Ricor's new shocks. Little more expensive for the ricors. The progressive shocks are built horribly cheap. They are grossly oversprung to make up for this. So you get a very firm ride like a dump truck. If your lowering the bike, get works. Way better quality, built for your weight and riding style, and the same money. Why buy an off the shelve shock when you can get one custom made to you for the same price. Ohlins don't have an option for a shock that short, so no go on them. Last Saint had the perfect quote after changing out his progressives for works...."works ride 1000% better".

Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
hardrider
Advanced

I have progressives 418, 440's and aluminum body rebuildable WORKS shocks. I like works the best for adjustability and quality of ride. I had to really work to get the 418's to dampen properly but over-all they are good shocks. No problems with the 440's they are very good shocks. I recommend the older style WORKS for the ability to put a nitrogen charge of varying PSI to suit your riding style,weight and rise. just my opinion. Hardrider.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
hardrider
Advanced

As ROUNDER said Work's are my choice as well, however I have heard very good things about RICOR. Do your home work and make an informed decision on that information. Good Luck, HARDRIDER

Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rounder
Ohlins don't have an option for a shock that short....
True, but Howard of sponsor Motorcycle Metal has an Ohlins shock he custom builds which is 11 5/8" long with a stroke of 2 3/4", which is not to be sniffed at.

Quick Reply: Progressive Shocks - opinions