Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Shocks - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Texasbrons
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody answered the other half of the question. Are stock shocks on the FXDF 12 or 12.5 inches? I looked in my service manual and didn't see anything on that.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasbrons
Nobody answered the other half of the question. Are stock shocks on the FXDF 12 or 12.5 inches? I looked in my service manual and didn't see anything on that.
They're 12"

Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a set of 418's on earlier dyna. The 12" springs were much too heavy for the bike. I had to ride a fat girl on the back to even get them to move. Had to send them back and get some of the tension took out of the springs and they work sort of ok now. I sure would not recommend those. Progressive doesn't do much research on spring rates for different bikes apparently.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by truckerdave
I have a set of 418's on earlier dyna. The 12" springs were much too heavy for the bike. I had to ride a fat girl on the back to even get them to move. Had to send them back and get some of the tension took out of the springs and they work sort of ok now. I sure would not recommend those. Progressive doesn't do much research on spring rates for different bikes apparently.
So you got the shocks fixed/replaced? What about the fat girl?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 AM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ricor Shocks
Easy install on your bike. I have an 06 dyna with 49mm forks. You really don't even have to take them off the bike if you can get the oil out. I usually do that with a small copper tube and a pump that would suck the oil out of a diff. Even if you have to take the forks off it is still not a big deal. Search for one of Mudd's installs he shows it in detail. The INTIMINATORS will help with your exhaust dragging in the corners because the front end wont get so deep in its travel.

As far as the rear of you bike goes.... Wanting to lower the bike and wanting a good handling bike do not go hand in hand. Our shocks are more performance oriented and targeted at the riders that want the bike to work as good as it can.

If you really have you heart set at the lowered stance I would suggest our 12.0 to 12.5" shock and the supersport tune. The supersport tune will do the most to keep you from bottoming out and you can adjust the preload enough on the shock to give you the 11" ride height on your Dyna. Using a longer shock with less spring preload will make your ride much more comfortable. It is amazing what that additional wheel travel will do. Really though you don't have much to work with wanting that low of a ride height.

We do offer a money back satisfaction guarantee if you are not happy with the performance.

Brian
I am ready to purchase the intiminators and shocks... Would love to discuss it with you. Tried calling this AM, but because of the time difference, I was unable to make contact. Will call this afternoon and place an order. I don't have a pump, but would prefer to purchase one as opposed to removing the forks... any ideas you could offer would be great.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Many people on HDF believe the Progressive shock to be of low quality because it's not built to your specs (weight,etc.)

Back when I was still green around bikes I had a 78 Yamaha xs1100. This was early to mid 90's. The presumably stock shocks were in bad shape. I installed heavy duty 412s along with progressive front springs and that bike never handled so good. It was a heavy bike as I had it fully dressed (windjammer fairing, hard bags and tourpak). The forks also had air assist so it was nice to be able to tailor the ride a little more for my style. I wouldn't mind that option on my WG at all.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I put the Ricors in the front and 418s on the back last weekend. Handling is much better. I got the 418s off eBay. They are 12in, standard spring for Sportsters and FXRs. Stickers on the springs say 90/130. They are too light for my bike. I have the preload cranked all the way to the top. I will probably try them on the Shovel and put something else on the Dyna.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Shocks - opinions-100_1211.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

I have series 411 11 inch and they suck because they bottom out easily , they only make the bike look good !

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Shocks - opinions-zzzzz.jpg  

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 05-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer

ive got the 440s in the rear and it rides stiff...they dont bottom out. My buddy says it rides like a tank in the rear.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good thread so far, candid answers on both sides of the issue. I want to do something front and rear on my 90 fxrs-sp but having a hard time with the decision. So many choices, so little cash!!!