Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Shocks - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 769 Posts

I just took off a set of 11.5" 440's. They lowered the bike like I wanted but found the ride too rough. Put on a set of 12.5" Ohlins and they are way more comfortable. Since they sag as soon as I sit on them, I'm back to about the stock height. Besides comfort, the handling is way better.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
C-Cat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waiting on a pair of the works shocks/ w fork springs, they shipped out last week. i do see some people are leaning towards, the racetech front springs/ w gold emulators.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
True, but Howard of sponsor Motorcycle Metal has an Ohlins shock he custom builds which is 11 5/8" long with a stroke of 2 3/4", which is not to be sniffed at.
yeah I know, that shock is 3/8" shorter than my 12" one and has more travel. Of course 11 5/8" is not 11". I wish he had those shocks when I bought my Ohlins though.

Oh yeah, stay tuned, Yesterday the big brown truck arrived with a set of 12" Ricor shocks. I will be giving a comparison test of their shocks vs my Ohlins. Both shocks are 12" long. Both shocks have only preload adjustment. Look for this in the following week or two.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grbrown
True, but Howard of sponsor Motorcycle Metal has an Ohlins shock he custom builds which is 11 5/8" long with a stroke of 2 3/4", which is not to be sniffed at.
He must have made that special for a certain customer or one model of bike. The 8.875" eye to eye closed would not work so well for most bikes, especially the fat bob.

Last edited by Ricor Shocks; 04-28-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: sphelling
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
yeah I know, that shock is 3/8" shorter than my 12" one and has more travel. Of course 11 5/8" is not 11". I wish he had those shocks when I bought my Ohlins though.

Oh yeah, stay tuned, Yesterday the big brown truck arrived with a set of 12" Ricor shocks. I will be giving a comparison test of their shocks vs my Ohlins. Both shocks are 12" long. Both shocks have only preload adjustment. Look for this in the following week or two.

Waiting to hear how they do. Do you ever ride two up with a heavy load. I'd love to hear how they work with some serious weight on them.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser

OK, checked out the ricor shocks. Nothing on E-bay. Sound like well built nice shocks, and I will mull it over before making a final decision. Question about the intiminators though, I assume that I am looking at the 49 mm for my Fat Bob; easy installation?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser

Needless to say, the fact that there is about six sets of progressive shocks and no ricor shocks for sale in the classified section is very telling, indeed.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidnewtonparr
OK, checked out the ricor shocks. Nothing on E-bay. Sound like well built nice shocks, and I will mull it over before making a final decision. Question about the intiminators though, I assume that I am looking at the 49 mm for my Fat Bob; easy installation?
Easy install on your bike. I have an 06 dyna with 49mm forks. You really don't even have to take them off the bike if you can get the oil out. I usually do that with a small copper tube and a pump that would suck the oil out of a diff. Even if you have to take the forks off it is still not a big deal. Search for one of Mudd's installs he shows it in detail. The INTIMINATORS will help with your exhaust dragging in the corners because the front end wont get so deep in its travel.

As far as the rear of you bike goes.... Wanting to lower the bike and wanting a good handling bike do not go hand in hand. Our shocks are more performance oriented and targeted at the riders that want the bike to work as good as it can.

If you really have you heart set at the lowered stance I would suggest our 12.0 to 12.5" shock and the supersport tune. The supersport tune will do the most to keep you from bottoming out and you can adjust the preload enough on the shock to give you the 11" ride height on your Dyna. Using a longer shock with less spring preload will make your ride much more comfortable. It is amazing what that additional wheel travel will do. Really though you don't have much to work with wanting that low of a ride height.

We do offer a money back satisfaction guarantee if you are not happy with the performance.

Brian

Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnewtonparr
Needless to say, the fact that there is about six sets of progressive shocks and no ricor shocks for sale in the classified section is very telling, indeed.
They're kinda like slipons, you know you want something different but aren't ready to shell out the bucks so you go with something cheap. I'll be doing a shock upgrade soon also.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

07 SB with 30,000 miles on Progressive 412 still happy!

Quick Reply: Progressive Shocks - opinions