Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk About Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickpisp
You don't have to run any wiring for the PC-V. I just installed mine last week. It's pretty easy, good instructions come with it.
Then maybe I'm the problem. Entirely possible.

http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng15-005.pdf

Procedure #8, run wiring to back of 'battery' box looks like a misprint. I think it means electrical box. Have no clue why you'd want to mess around inside the battery box.

Then #13 has me concerned. Unplug stock O2 sensor near front head pipe. The State of Alaska is near the front head pipe, too. Not much help there. I think I could figure out which plug goes where -- Male to Female or vice versa. Whatever. AFTER I find, locate and unplug the O2 sensor from where it plugs into. Which I think is --

But the O2 sensor plug they seem to be referencing is down near and behind where the rectifier used to be on my bike and appears to be pretty hard to get to. For me. Right now. Because I have an oil cooler there now. And the rectumfier was relocated -- Up the frame a tad.

So, if I were to do this -- Do I run the stock plug and wiring toward the PCV wiring and meet half way, or does the PCV wiring run all the way to the O2 plug or -- WHAT??

Looks like a 24 carat pain-in-the-****. Or -- Maybe it's me.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you decide on the fuel pak, there is one for sale in the classified section. I do not know if it is a good price or not.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-pack.html

Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
If you decide on the fuel pak, there is one for sale in the classified section. I do not know if it is a good price or not.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-pack.html
I would 'prefer' a PCV (I think). It's just that, if I have to remove my oil cooler and rectifier, pull O2 sensor plugs, route wiring from under the seat, under the gas tank, down the front tube and plug into the O2 sensor clip that Harley has so cleverly hidden from view -- I'm not so sure.

My mechanical expertise only goes so far. As does my patience level. Especially with chitty instructions. I've been known to chuck a wrench or two against a wall. Makes the War Department, er, er, The Wife, nervous. (Most) Ladies just don't understand that threatening inanimate objects really does work.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Nickpisp
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Then maybe I'm the problem. Entirely possible.

http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng15-005.pdf

Procedure #8, run wiring to back of 'battery' box looks like a misprint. I think it means electrical box. Have no clue why you'd want to mess around inside the battery box.

Then #13 has me concerned. Unplug stock O2 sensor near front head pipe. The State of Alaska is near the front head pipe, too. Not much help there. I think I could figure out which plug goes where -- Male to Female or vice versa. Whatever. AFTER I find, locate and unplug the O2 sensor from where it plugs into. Which I think is --

But the O2 sensor plug they seem to be referencing is down near and behind where the rectifier used to be on my bike and appears to be pretty hard to get to. For me. Right now. Because I have an oil cooler there now. And the rectumfier was relocated -- Up the frame a tad.

So, if I were to do this -- Do I run the stock plug and wiring toward the PCV wiring and meet half way, or does the PCV wiring run all the way to the O2 plug or -- WHAT??

Looks like a 24 carat pain-in-the-****. Or -- Maybe it's me.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

On the O2 sensors, all you do is unplug the sensor and plug in the O2 sim you get with the kit, no wires to run.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

I would 'prefer' a PCV (I think). It's just that, if I have to remove my oil cooler and rectifier, pull O2 sensor plugs, route wiring from under the seat, under the gas tank, down the front tube and plug into the O2 sensor clip that Harley has so cleverly hidden from view -- I'm not so sure.

My mechanical expertise only goes so far. As does my patience level. Especially with chitty instructions. I've been known to chuck a wrench or two against a wall. Makes the War Department, er, er, The Wife, nervous. (Most) Ladies just don't understand that threatening inanimate objects really does work.
I believe Nickpisp is correct. I looked at the instructions you posted and it looks like you only have to run the extra wiring if you run the autotune module which is optional. Even then the mudule I run splices into that front sensor harness and it isn't a big deal to run the wire. So if the PCV is what you want I'd say go for it.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Grendel4, call up jamie at fuel moto and talk with him he will do the download for you just tell him what pipes and a/c you are putting on the bike. i have heard alot of good things about fuel moto ,so when the time comes (and money) i'm going with a PC-V TUNED BY JAMIE AT FUEL MOTO. check it out in the other posts

Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
BUT...I did the SE download with stage 1 a/c and pipes and the bike still ran a bit hot, so I ended up getting the newer version of SERT and had it dyno tuned and it DID make a difference...lookin' back I shoulda' done the SERT to begin with and I woulda' saved $150.00 for the SE download.
Doing any aftermarket fuel management AND getting it dyno-tuned will make a difference. Part of the point we;re trying to make is that basically the stage 1 download from the moco is a waste of $150 bucks.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Grendel4
Banned

So anyway, just got back from the dealer. Went there to order a Service Manual so I'd have some frame of reference.

While there, I talked to Service. They won't do ANYTHING but the SERT. Nuttin'. Nada, no way, Jose. Even they admit the Stage 1 download is worthless as a screen door on a submarine.

They're talking about the module costing $460 and I'm not sure, but I think they charge another $40 to download the base Map into it and/or install it. Dunno. My eyes started to glaze over. Then the guy sez, "The base map is just for Harley parts. We can only get it close to other parts like V&H slip-ons." So then I gotta dyno-tune it for the best results. Another $200.

So just to get it 'tuned' I'm at $700 plus tax? Not to mention $260 for my slip-ons and another $140 for the SE Stage 1 AC.

So I'm at over $1,100 just to make the bike sound right and run right.

And, oh yeah, the dealer didn't have the Service Manual in stock. Cool. They had to order it. Also, cool. But the guy charged me 'shipping.'!! For a Harley catalog? Shipped from Harley MoCo to a Harley dealership?

Every time I go to the dealer I get pissed off.

Maybe it's just me. Gotta be. I guess I need an attitude adjustment.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

So anyway, just got back from the dealer. Went there to order a Service Manual so I'd have some frame of reference.

While there, I talked to Service. They won't do ANYTHING but the SERT. Nuttin'. Nada, no way, Jose. Even they admit the Stage 1 download is worthless as a screen door on a submarine.

They're talking about the module costing $460 and I'm not sure, but I think they charge another $40 to download the base Map into it and/or install it. Dunno. My eyes started to glaze over. Then the guy sez, "The base map is just for Harley parts. We can only get it close to other parts like V&H slip-ons." So then I gotta dyno-tune it for the best results. Another $200.

So just to get it 'tuned' I'm at $700 plus tax? Not to mention $260 for my slip-ons and another $140 for the SE Stage 1 AC.

So I'm at over $1,100 just to make the bike sound right and run right.

And, oh yeah, the dealer didn't have the Service Manual in stock. Cool. They had to order it. Also, cool. But the guy charged me 'shipping.'!! For a Harley catalog? Shipped from Harley MoCo to a Harley dealership?

Every time I go to the dealer I get pissed off.

Maybe it's just me. Gotta be. I guess I need an attitude adjustment.
It isn't just you. Sometimes it is a case of the dealer taking advantage of people, sometimes it is a case the guys at the dealer repeating what they've heard. Either way there are much cheaper and just as safe alternatives if you don't mind doing a little work yourself. If not, you are pretty much at the mercy of whoever you pay to do the work for you.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Grendel....that's why you scour the HDF classifieds and/or ebay. I got my SM for $48 (compared to $60 @ dealer). Free shipping.

See...maybe the SERT is a good product but in my mind I can't jusitfy the cost. I'm not talkin out my butt. For the same money, you can do a pcV w/ auto-tune. No dealer interaction. MAJOR plus.

...and...it doesn't make sense to spend almost $700 for SLIP-ONS. Major waste of money.

Buy the slip-ons. Buy a used pcIII ($150 or so). Find a map that's close to what you'll have. Install yourself. Cost = 0.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 04-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Talk About Confused