Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk About Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
In short, yet another device to "fool" the ECM into over-adjusting one way or another than what it would normally do otherwise. See xIED's. xIED's also change the voltage (or some electrical measurement) to induce this effect resulting in more fuel being added to the mix which results in a richer, cooler running motor. As I said, the fuelpak basically has the same end result but you have the ability to "code in" what components you have installed so that it is a little more "specific" on just how much it needs to fool the ECM vs. something like an xIED that is just going to do the same thing on every bike you put them on no matter what components are installed.

That stuff you posted above will just make your head explode. Just take the information in and decide if you think you need something extra and then decide, from what's generally available and being widely used out there, what you want.
You're right. I think I'm getting in over my head on all this.

Pretty sure I'm gonna do what you've done and let 'er rip.

Can you direct me to the "Loan Department?"

Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I do not have o2 sensors on my 05, and I think you are correct about starting in 06.
Here's my .02 worth.
Like Baeseman1 noted, I too have tried the FuelPak and after a few months of it and now a few months of a PC III, I would not buy a FP, the price difference between the 2 is rather small and the PC gives more choice.
That being said, 2007fxdc has made some VERY good points about the whole subject, so let me just add... IF you are only doing slip-ons, you need not add anything else.
IF you are adding a high flow AC, then I would invest in a PC III or V, especially if you spend any time in traffic, which is when the extra heat is most likely to cause issues from running lean.
I ran for several months without anything more than the Stage 1 download, with the Ness Big Sucker and V&H pipes, I realized my bike tended to get hot quicker, and I would experience the cylinder shut down because of it in traffic much sooner than riding buddies. I have not experienced that since adding the PC III. We will see what this summer brings.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeh, after all of these posts, I agree, if you are only getting slipons, put them on and see what happens. I did that at first and bike ran fine. Most likely you'll be okay. But I wouldn't do full pipes without the a/c and wouldn't do the a/c without something. xIED's would be my bare minimum and, if buying for the first time today, with the information I have now, I'd order a PC-V from fuelmoto ready to plug in and ride. I think the fuelpak has too many unanswered questions and the SERT is overkill for most people. Nothing wrong with overkill, if you can afford it. But if you can't, why bother?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Grendel4
Banned

Yeh, after all of these posts, I agree, if you are only getting slipons, put them on and see what happens. I did that at first and bike ran fine. Most likely you'll be okay. But I wouldn't do full pipes without the a/c and wouldn't do the a/c without something. xIED's would be my bare minimum and, if buying for the first time today, with the information I have now, I'd order a PC-V from fuelmoto ready to plug in and ride. I think the fuelpak has too many unanswered questions and the SERT is overkill for most people. Nothing wrong with overkill, if you can afford it. But if you can't, why bother?
Cool. Went to Fuel Moto's site and checked out the instructions for installing the PCV.

First, I'm not sure I want to F-Up with downloading MAPs from -- Where ever. That stuff confuses me even more than I already am. Aggravating.

So then, I figure, well, I can download them before I install the PCV and hope for the best. So I'm checking out the instructions again and I run into number 8 -- http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng15-005.pdf

It says to run the harness into the back of the battery box? Isn't there something already in there? Like - The Battery? Add to that the fact that the pic they're referencing is a pic of the ELECTRICAL BOX, not the Battery Box.

However I go, I'm sure I'll get it figured out. It just amazes me that Harley would decide to Fuel Inject it's engines about twenty years late, and then decide to use an incredibly antiquated speed-density system.

Then the after-market comes in, spends millions of dollars trying to figure out what Harley did and gets Donald freaking Duck to write their Install Directions!?!?!

I'll be right back. I'm gonna go kick something.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 07 SB which does have O2 sensors. Swapped the stock pipes for SEII pre-05/EPA "off road only" pipes and maintained a stock a/c. Bike runs just like before with no change in mileage, heat, or anything else - just makes a bit more noise.

The stage 1 d/l will not change the AFR so by itself it won't do anything to address the more lean condition you'll get by putting a less restrictive a/c and pipes on.

As has been said, if all you want is noise do what I did and send me whatever part of the dealer fee you think appropriate. If you do both a/c and pipes select the fuel mgmt system you like the best (SEST, TTS, Fuelpak, PC V, etc) and have fun.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
That stuff confuses me even more than I already am. Aggravating.
Good, let me add some more then...

All of this PC-V & downloading maps sounds intimidating to someone who doesn't have a pocket-protector to carry their pens in. But... My PC-V came from FuelMoto already mapped for my Year/Make/Model/Mods. All I had to do was plug it in and ride. But it comes with a cd for the laptop that I played around with if you're feeling up to it. It isn't required though - unless you need to make adjustments. If you do, FuelMoto will walk you through it.

It says to run the harness into the back of the battery box? Isn't there something already in there? Like - The Battery? Add to that the fact that the pic they're referencing is a pic of the ELECTRICAL BOX, not the Battery Box.
Yeah, a wrong term can throw a guy who's taking in all of the info. It is the fuse panel where the harness goes.

It just amazes me that Harley would decide to Fuel Inject it's engines about twenty years late, and then decide to use an incredibly antiquated speed-density system.
Here's a quick little read for ya. Actually, you should read the entire thread but just this post will give a little insight to why a lot of people here go with FuelMoto. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6160805-post28.html

Old 04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Good, let me add some more then...

All of this PC-V & downloading maps sounds intimidating to someone who doesn't have a pocket-protector to carry their pens in. But... My PC-V came from FuelMoto already mapped for my Year/Make/Model/Mods. All I had to do was plug it in and ride. But it comes with a cd for the laptop that I played around with if you're feeling up to it. It isn't required though - unless you need to make adjustments. If you do, FuelMoto will walk you through it.

Yeah, a wrong term can throw a guy who's taking in all of the info. It is the fuse panel where the harness goes.

Here's a quick little read for ya. Actually, you should read the entire thread but just this post will give a little insight to why a lot of people here go with FuelMoto. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6160805-post28.html
Thanks for the tips. I think (now) that's the way I'm gonna go. Ya never know what the future holds. I say now, "I'm not gonna change my bike beyond this or that" and bigger than doo-doo, you turn yourself into a liar at some point in time.

Twenty years ago, I sold my last Harley (a 1984 Evo 84" FLHTC [it even had the enclosed, oil-bath chain!!]) and swore I'd never ride again. So I didn't bother getting the Motorcycle endorsement put on my license (for free, no hassle, just tell 'em to put it on there back then) after Florida changed the Law. Didn't used to need one to ride. Now you do.

So I ended up in an absurd MC class learning to 'ride' a motor-scooter. Honest to God, because now, it's an actual Misdemeanor to ride without an endorsement down here. They can cuff-ya and stuff-ya if they want to. So, $275 and a lot of aggravation later, I got my endorsement because I was just so darned sure of myself 20 years ago. What a pain.

I'll try not to make that mistake this time around.

On that thread you turned me on to? Someone sez, "Is GM that primitive?" (or something like that).

Well, they went belly-up for a reason. Yes, they WERE that primitive. Not so much the last few years but for twenty years they were just simply making junk. Total junk. The last five years or so they turned it around but -- Too late. They're reputation was shot. Push rod motors, speed density ECUs? No wonder they floundered.

I guess it could have been worse -- The MoCo could have used Edsel.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Grendel, I can only speak to my good experience with the fuelpak. I can't explain, at all, others' bad experiences with it but I will admit there have been some posts here from people that haven't been pleased with it. There's even one infamous picture of a member taking it off and filing it the old cylindrical filing cabinet. However, if I were taking that information into account today, I'd probably buy a PC-V pre-programmed from fuelmoto instead. As Baeseman says, it should get you to 90% or so of what it could be with a dyno-tune but probably as good as a fuelpak with the ability to dyno-tune later on or if it's not quite right. I believe you also have the ability, with the PC, to bypass the O2 sensors.

The varied fuelpak results reports have nothing to do with O2 sensors. You buy a fuelpak for your make, model, and year bike so, if it has sensors, the FP you buy knows about them, if it even matters. All i can think of is, for whatever unknown variables, it works for some and not so great for others. I do think it probably helps if you are using it with V&H's pipes and a stage 1 or better a/c is required with a fuelpak as they do all of their R&D with one, according to the tech I talked to.

So, long story short, while I'm a satisfied fuelpak owner/user, I'm not sure I'd buy one again based on the info I have now.
Your opinion matters, so I took a trip to the PCV installation PDF File and -- Oh what joy that was!

Thought I had it figured out. Looked fairly straight-forward, so I took a look at my Front O2 sensor wiring to determine where I had to disconnect it. Looks like the connector I need to unplug is hidden down behind where the rectifier used to be. I said "Used to be" because I had an oil cooler put on immediately after buying the bike.

Also, running the PCV wiring to it? Looks like you have to run it under the gas tank, down the front frame tubes, out the garage door and zip tie it with a half dozen zip ties. That's after you remove the oil cooler, the horn, rear tire, the rectifier, the seat and your sanity.

Yeah, I know. I need to get a Service Manual. I will. But I'm pretty sure that's where my front O2 sensor connects to a plastic receiver of some kind.

Oh well, my V&H 3" Twin Slash slip-ons are supposed to be here today. I guess I'll polish them up, stare at the beauty of my motorcycle for a few days, go buy a Service Manual and figure out what's next.

But I'm leaning toward, "If the fuelpak is good enough for 2007fxdc, it's good enough for me."

Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,297 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
They're just trying to up-sell you something.

The stage 1 download is ~$150. The Sert...several times more.
BUT...I did the SE download with stage 1 a/c and pipes and the bike still ran a bit hot, so I ended up getting the newer version of SERT and had it dyno tuned and it DID make a difference...lookin' back I shoulda' done the SERT to begin with and I woulda' saved $150.00 for the SE download.

Last edited by SBRob; 04-30-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Nickpisp
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Your opinion matters, so I took a trip to the PCV installation PDF File and -- Oh what joy that was!

Thought I had it figured out. Looked fairly straight-forward, so I took a look at my Front O2 sensor wiring to determine where I had to disconnect it. Looks like the connector I need to unplug is hidden down behind where the rectifier used to be. I said "Used to be" because I had an oil cooler put on immediately after buying the bike.

Also, running the PCV wiring to it? Looks like you have to run it under the gas tank, down the front frame tubes, out the garage door and zip tie it with a half dozen zip ties. That's after you remove the oil cooler, the horn, rear tire, the rectifier, the seat and your sanity.

Yeah, I know. I need to get a Service Manual. I will. But I'm pretty sure that's where my front O2 sensor connects to a plastic receiver of some kind.

Oh well, my V&H 3" Twin Slash slip-ons are supposed to be here today. I guess I'll polish them up, stare at the beauty of my motorcycle for a few days, go buy a Service Manual and figure out what's next.

But I'm leaning toward, "If the fuelpak is good enough for 2007fxdc, it's good enough for me."

You don't have to run any wiring for the PC-V. I just installed mine last week. It's pretty easy, good instructions come with it.

Quick Reply: Talk About Confused