Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new starter still spins....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 AM
ConRic72
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new starter still spins....

Help please!!! i took off my starter yesterday because it started spinning w/out engaging, took it apart to view starter clutch gear which to the eye looked fine, jackshaft rod and gears also looked to be in decent shape. so...instead of putting a new starter clutch in starter, i decided to go ahead and get a new starter from HD. got it home, installed it, put primary back on and whoola....spins! battery should have enuff to push it....the day it went out on me was when i pulled n2 the gas station to quench her thirst....without any prior warnings what-so-ever...when i went to start it...just spun...thinking bout changing the relay out tomorrow and gonna recheck the jackshaft....if there is anyone out there with any more suggestion please let me know....thx....and will be lookin foward to your responces! (Oh....by the way, it's a 99'Dyna SuperGlide Sport FXDX....if that matters?)

Last edited by ConRic72; 04-23-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havent messed with HD starters... but when a starter does this on a car or forklift, its usually the ring gear... you may have inspected this "starter clutch gear".

also on 4 cylider engine the starter engages in one of two places each and every time it starts, and those two spots will wear out and the rest of the ring gear will look just fine. i dont know if this even carries over into the MC world or not. just a thought.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
ConRic72
Intermediate

thx Shimmon,
in the prosess of tearing it back down to reinspect the shaft and gearing....so far i am at a lost.....lets hope it's just an oversight....right?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
FishysFXD
Intermediate

First I would check to make sure the starter gear is fully engaging as well as spinning. Just because it spins doesn't mean its engaging. This can be done by removing the starter, hooking upto a pwr source and hitting the go button. If the starter gear is fully engaging (coming all the way out) then you have an alignment issue or worn out gear teeth

Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 AM
ConRic72
Intermediate

it fully engages and teeth look fine....but when i took jackshaft apart i noticed the retaining ring in the coupling gear had come out of groove....so i put it back in engaged the starter and it popped out of groove again ....so, i dunno, guess i'll get a new gear and ring to see if that's the problem?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 AM
ConRic72
Intermediate

Well... i got it going earlier today.....it wasn't the starter after all, it was the coupling gear with the retaining ring on jackshaft that was the problem....retaining groove was worn out and kept popping ring out of place each time the starter would engage....went and got a new gear coupling and ring...and whoola....starts like a beast!!!!! only $19 for gear and ring....not bad! thx for the advice though just glad it wasn't any thing worse! Peace!.... )

Last edited by ConRic72; 04-26-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ConRic72
Well... i got it going earlier today.....it wasn't the starter after all, it was the coupling gear with the retaing ring on jackshaft that was the problem....retaing groove was worn out and kept popping ring out of place each time the starter would engage....went and got a new gear coupling and ring...and whoola....starts like a beast!!!!! only $19 for gear and ring....not bad! thx for the advice though just glad it wasn't any thing worse! Peace!.... )
man...can I have some of the simplicity of your life?

glad you figured it out!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 AM
ConRic72
Intermediate

simplicity is far and few between......snag it when i get the chance....if any left over - your more than welcome to it! :^)

Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ConRic72
simplicity is far and few between......snag it when i get the chance....if any left over - your more than welcome to it! :^)
I am, apparently, not entitled to simplicity according to whoever it is that plans out our lives.

glad it worked out for ya, though.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 AM
ConRic72
Intermediate

Thx bro!....Sendin' good "Karma" your way>>>>>> There......it's yours!...Use it wisely!

Quick Reply: new starter still spins....