Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Solved** For those who have Mustang seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:32 AM
sj9125
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **Solved** For those who have Mustang seats

Has anyone had any problem with the way the Mustang seat sits on the bike when mounted? I just got a Mustang solo off of eBay and when trying to mount it tonight it seems to fit a little loose in the front of the seat. Before I tighten the screw down to hold it in place it looks to be closer to the tank but the mounting bracket hole doesn't quite match up with the fender nut. The when I tighten the screw to secure the seat it pulls the seat back just far enough to wobble a little in the front mount and it's pulled a little bit from the tank. I would have thought that once mounted it would sit firmly on the bike without any wobble at all.
BTW... I checked to make sure that the model numbers of the seat are the correct ones and it falls in the year model that the seat was made for.

I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and haven't found any kind of reference to this when I did a search.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: For those who have Mustang seats

sounds like the way my Corbin Dual Tour fits. I think it's pretty common.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The wobble is most likely caused by the rear mount. Those little fender nuts stick up far enough that even when you cinch the rear seat bolt tight there's still some wobble. Get youself an oring just large enough to fit outside the plastic clip or cut an eighth inch off a fuel line hose and place it next to the fender between the seat tab and the fender and cinch it down real tight and your wobble will probably go away.

good Luck

Tom

Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 AM
sj9125
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestion on the o-ring I'll give it a shot but the wobble isn't just in the back though. When I grab the front of the seat I can physically move it up and down by about a 1/4 of an inch. I'm not afraid that it's going to come out of frame because it doesn't move backwards and forwards only wobbles and has play in it. I'm going to try the o-ring and something else I was thinking about to get rid of the play might be a little alum foil or something to try to eliminate some of that gap up front.

What do you guys think about the foil as kind of a shim or sorts? Is that too much of a rig job to get rid of a little slack up front or am I just too worried about the small stuff?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know how well aluminum foil would hold up. You might be able to find a thin piece of rubber that would fit over the end. I have a mustang solo on my 2005 Dyna and the welds on the tube that holds the bolt for the back of the tank are uneve on each side, so my seat sits slightly off center. But not loose. Another idea would be to maybe find some shim stock metal (should be at the Home stores) and use J.B. weld or something to secure it to the tounge of the seat to make it a little thicker.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Bassman
Road Master

Mine fits solid. Maybe the front tab got bend down a little? If you bend it it, it might snug up.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mustang I put on my RK fits very tight, but I know it may not be the same mounting system as on your bike.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Vintage solo also fits pretty tight. Good suggestion though to possibly see if the tongue is bent a little allowing the front to loosen up. A loose seat is not something I'd want to experience at highway speed and beyond. a 1/4" of play seems to be way too much.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a mustang solo seat But I keep spending money on this bike and the wife is starting to question me

Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
sj9125
Advanced

No I figure the foil would wear pretty quick too but I was just thinking of a temp solution to see if that would make for a better permanent one. I think I'll try to shim first to see if that helps. I can't see where the tounge looks bent on the bottom of the seat and it looks like a really good strong weld and can't imagine how it could be bent in a direction to make it loose although I'm sure there's a way. The loose fit worries me though because I was expecting a tighter more custome fit.

Either way the seat made a huge difference on the way to work this morning and I can now see what everyone is talking about with the driver backrest. Wow!

Quick Reply: **Solved** For those who have Mustang seats