Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip needs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Gambler72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Road Trip needs

Ladies and Gentlemen... Im planning my first "real" road trip from WI to MI using the ferry across Lake Michigan in June. Im thinking Im in need of a GPS and rain gear to be safe... I wont have saddle bags (I ride an 07 street bob) but Ill have a back pack and a pillan with a sissy bar to strap a small to med. amount of luggage... any recommendations on a GPS mount\power supply (Im looking to remain as bare bones as possible) and what do you recommend as far as rain gear that will pack very small? And Ill open this up for any other recommendations you have for a first time road trip... I do plan on bringing a basic tool kit but am looking for everyone else's expertise as what to have with me.... Im pretty much as green as it gets so Ill take any and all advice.... thanks!!!

Last edited by Gambler72; 04-22-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why gps? Don't get me wrong, I have one I use on both the bike and the cage but not all the time. If you know your route, it's added junk. OTOH, if you aren't familiar with the roads and want to make sure you hit some specific places that could be hard to find, they're great.

For the 'Glide the gps power is hardwired inside the fairing. For the Dyna I rigged up an easy, removable power line that plugs into the pigtail for my battery tender. Easy and cheap but be careful keeping + and neg sides straight - easy to get confused when you look at the mating plugs.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

As for a GPS, I currently have a TomTom Rider which came with a motorcycle mount setup, but to be honest I think the screen on it sucks, have a hard time seeing it in the daylight.
I made my own mount because I didn't like the one it came with, but that's just me.
I would make sure you buy one made for motorcycles, my previous one did not last long before it started having trouble with keeping a signal.
As for other gear, if you have tubeless tires, I would buy what you need to repair the tire on the road, I always carry that in my fork tool bag.
Rain gear, make sure it is not something that will melt on the pipes.
The rest depends on if you are camping or hotelling.
You might want to get something like this, it's a cool little tool with most everything you need.
http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Gambler72
Tourer

thanks guys!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
krjoseph
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take MAD maps, and just learn my route. Besides, getting lost is half the fun. I carry rain gear, a toolkit by windzone, extra cash and a couple credit cards, my AMA and Hog cards (for roadside service).

If you want to stay in touch, will your cell phone work? I carry 2 pay-as-you-go phones, one on the ATT network, one on Verizon. If I'm in cell range, at least one will usually work. I can't count the number of times only one worked, funny how the services don't overlap coverage. But for worst-cast, pick up a $20 prepaid phone card. I've been stuck with no cell service, but could find a pay phone.

Last edited by krjoseph; 04-22-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: forgot a few things...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just something to consider .. Have you heard or do you know anything about the tie downs for the ferry trip. The one and only ferry trip I took, had nothing but one piece of tattered nylon rope per bike parking space. Luckily we were prepared with our own tie downs.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Gambler72
Tourer

eek... I know the "express" says they have tie downs... the Uss Badger says nothing about them... but tossing a few straps in my bag will mos def be on my check list... Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

Probably the most important thing is a debit card. You can't plan for or pack everything. Half the fun on a motorcycle ride is doing without, leaving the phone, etc. Rain gear depends on your tolerance for riding in the rain. When you have to be somewhere, like back to work on a Monday, and it's raining an all day rain, you will wish you had bought the really good rain gear, which is expensive and doesn't exactly pack up real small. Don't forget your helmet. Also bring low expectations. That way you will never be disappointed.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
JonV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Zumo 550, it's made for bikes.... the best Deal found is at Zanotti's

Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Gambler72
Tourer

thanks guys!!

Quick Reply: Road Trip needs