Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip needs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A good affordable GPS is this Garmin nuvi 255W.

A good mount is this one made by RAM.

A good power supply (provided you have a battery tender pig tail hanging from your battery) is this one from Powerlet. Use zip ties to run it up under your tank, zipping it to existing wires. That'll also give you the ability to charge cell phones and anything else using a cig lighter charger.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link for a Motorcycle Road Trip Checklist. I just create my own in excel, but this gives you some great ideas.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Part of the beauty of riding somewhere is the concept of getting lost (not literally). Rain gear...yeah I can agree with you there. Riding hours on end in wet jeans is about the most uncomfortable thing in the world.

As far as GPS...do it the old fashioned way. Wing it. You'll enjoy it much more than by following a silly little graphic across a little screen.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Gambler72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking no GPS would be a good thing for me.... as long as I can still read a map

Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Remember....the settlers crossed the entire country and oceans without GPS. Why is it a necessity for us?

I also love it when someone does have GPS on their bike in one form or another and then ask me (that doesn't have GPS on his bike) "how do we get there and how long will it take?" Just food for thought....

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

GPS are slick as hell. It all depends on what type of ride you're on.

I wish I would have had one when I went to Baltimore and back. Riding non-stop at night shining a flashlight on your tank so you can read the map you taped to it is not as glamorous as it sounds.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly! I've been using a sextant and star map.

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Remember....the settlers crossed the entire country and oceans without GPS. Why is it a necessity for us?

I also love it when someone does have GPS on their bike in one form or another and then ask me (that doesn't have GPS on his bike) "how do we get there and how long will it take?" Just food for thought....

Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How many days and miles is the ride?

I would suggest checking the forecast to give you an idea of the weather, but pack clothes and gloves for both hot and cold weather. We had flukey weather a few years ago and actually froze our asses off in Death Valley because we didn't pack correctly!

A flat map bag which magnets on to the tank may come in handy if you decide against the nav.

Basic tool kit, tire repair kit and siphon hose, none of which hopefully will be needed.

Rain gear. HD actually has some pretty good stuff.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Gambler72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.... its all been a great help

Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Birdman2778
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm leaving in about 10 days to ride to LA & back from NY. I borrowed saddle bags. Can't hurt to have the extra space. I picked up the Harley rainsuit (bk/orange, about $120). It's light and I can pack it up pretty tight.

Me and my buddy aren't bringing a GPS either. Got a bunch of maps. Our plan is to ride from Long Island to Chicago and take rte 66 to LA. Like SC stated earlier, if we get lost, so be it. That's half the adventure. Instead of spending $ on a GPS for the few times you will use it can be better spent on other gear that you will use more often.

Quick Reply: Road Trip needs