Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground wire on upper tripple tree to Riser Bolt...DO I NEED IT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
FIDDY3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it off, I did, no issues whatsoever.

Jaison

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ground wires don't normally "do" anything. They're there for when a wire gets nicked/pinched/pulled loose or otherwise comes in contact with metal that it shouldn't. If the ground wire is there, you simply blow a fuse and something stops working. If the ground wire is gone, your handlebar becomes "hot" and strange things can happen.
I make my living designing electrical control systems for industrial machinery and I believe in ground wires.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by murphdog
Ground wires don't normally "do" anything. They're there for when a wire gets nicked/pinched/pulled loose or otherwise comes in contact with metal that it shouldn't. If the ground wire is there, you simply blow a fuse and something stops working. If the ground wire is gone, your handlebar becomes "hot" and strange things can happen.
I make my living designing electrical control systems for industrial machinery and I believe in ground wires.
This is true in an AC systems, NOT in a DC system such as you have on a bike. Without a ground (negative from the battery) nothing works, since you don't have a complete circuit.
If for instance you did not ground the turn signal housing (one side of the lamp) somehow, you could apply all the power you want to the lamp and it would not light.
Actually it's not even true technically speaking in an AC system since you have to have a neutral, which is technically a "grounded conductor". The ground wire as we all know it is a "grounding conductor". The hot wire is known as the "ungrounded conductor".

Last edited by 8541hog; 04-22-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mines gone, 1000 miles no issues yet, course I left my front/rear signals in the garage where they belong.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
Run it to the inside of your headlight housing with your headlight wires and ground it there. Problem solved.
Yep, thats what I did! Works great and wire gone!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The front end needs to have a seperate ground to the frame. I believe there is a ground in the wiring harness that goes to the hand controls on the handlebars, but most handlebars are rubber mounted.

Not kidding about this, if there is no seperate ground the ground will go through the steering bearings and there is potential for premature bearing failure.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kansaskid72
Opinions? Facts? Is it required? It looks like crap on my fresh black powdercoated trees so I'd like to leave it off unless it'll cause electrical problems.
Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
I haven't examined the entire wiring diagram but my short answer would by "yes". That said, pull it off and see what does and doesn't work. If everything seems good, tape over the exposed connector and go take a ride. If it all still works, you should be good eliminating it.

Personally, I'd look for some place to re-route it. Hide it under the tank or down on the front downtubes of the frame, something like that. I figure the MoCo didnt spend the money to put it on unless they thought it was needed.
Originally Posted by murphdog
Ground wires don't normally "do" anything. They're there for when a (hot) wire gets nicked/pinched/pulled loose or otherwise comes in contact with metal that it shouldn't. If the ground wire is there, you simply blow a fuse and something stops working. If the ground wire is gone, your handlebar becomes "hot" and strange things can happen.
Murphdog is exactly right. Thes other posters are partialy right.
The 'grounding' wire in question is not & will not do 'anything' UNTIL a 'hot' wire from the hand controls "comes in contact with the bars".
If this happens the grond wire in question WILL complete the curcuit to ground which SHOULD blow a fuse which is there to protect the wiring from becoming overloaded and/or keep you from receiving an electrical shock.

Yes, the wire IS required as an inherant design in the electrical system. Whenever an individual item is present in the design of a completed unit it's usally there for a reason.

Yes, if you leave it off... nothing will happen... UNTIL it needs to be there!

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air... rather than being in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
Murphdog is exactly right. Thes other posters are partialy right.
The 'grounding' wire in question is not & will not do 'anything' UNTIL a 'hot' wire from the hand controls "comes in contact with the bars".
If this happens the grond wire in question WILL complete the curcuit to ground which SHOULD blow a fuse which is there to protect the wiring from becoming overloaded and/or keep you from receiving an electrical shock.

Yes, the wire IS required as an inherant design in the electrical system. Whenever an individual item is present in the design of a completed unit it's usally there for a reason.

Yes, if you leave it off... nothing will happen... UNTIL it needs to be there!

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air... rather than being in the air wishing you were on the ground.
NO, he's not exactly right for a DC system. A blanket statement as he made is wrong. You are correct in your statement about this particular wire.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
NO, he's not exactly right for a DC system. A blanket statement as he made is wrong. You are correct in your statement about this particular wire.
murphdog is correct in his statement. He is saying that if a live wire in the bars made contact with the bars the bars would be live. And he is correct.

You are saying it will not complete the circuit till connected to the ground on the battery. You are correct too.

No pinched wires all working as should a Volt meter will read 0 volts battery ground to bars. Murphdog is saying if you have a shorted wire to bars and no ground you will read voltage from battery ground to bars and he is correct.

Now if there is a direct path to ground (ground wire, etc) it will/should blow the fuse making the problem obvious or more obvious.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
This is true in an AC systems, NOT in a DC system such as you have on a bike. Without a ground (negative from the battery) nothing works, since you don't have a complete circuit.
If for instance you did not ground the turn signal housing (one side of the lamp) somehow, you could apply all the power you want to the lamp and it would not light.
Actually it's not even true technically speaking in an AC system since you have to have a neutral, which is technically a "grounded conductor". The ground wire as we all know it is a "grounding conductor". The hot wire is known as the "ungrounded conductor".
Ahhh. the memories of third year apprenticeship class, grounding and grounded and deciphering NFPA 70 Article 250! Fun Times!

Quick Reply: Ground wire on upper tripple tree to Riser Bolt...DO I NEED IT?