Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind vest/ hd shield comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default wind vest/ hd shield comparison?

Who has used both a wind vest shield and hd shield and can make a comparison.

My hd shield has been sitting under the table for about two years now because I gave up on it because of the head shake it causes.

Lately I have been thinking about trying some other type of shield just to cut down on the wind on my chest. I would like something smaller and probably more aredynamic looking.

I would rather ride with no shield and fullface than anything that causes too much turbulance.

I am not set on windvest I just heard they are pretty good. Open to suggestions and pictures.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the HD quick disconnect and sold it for the same reason that you aren't using yours. Now I have a windvest with a 9" Cee Bailey's summer screen. It keeps the wind off my chest and provides smooth airflow to my head. Couldn't be happier!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking at the Wind Vest site, and it states that the mounting hardware might leave marks on your handlebars. Have you had any issues with that?

I'd like to see some photos of the wind vest mounted ... side and front.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had both and by far prefer my windvest. Unlike you, though, my HD shield worked fine it was just f'ugly as hell and too big and bulky and I hated putting it on my bike. The key to dialing in a windvest, though, is room for adjustability. It is impossible for anyone to make a shield that just works out of the box for every bike and every rider. You've got to be able to adjust it. With the mounts my WV has, that go on the risers, and the fact that I have a lot of riser to work with, I was able to get mine dialed in so it blocks the wind very well and throws it up over my helmet without blasting me in the head/face. If I only had one place to mount it with no room for adjustment, I'd just have to be lucky for it to work as well. And I'm usually not that lucky.

As for the mounts leaving marks, I imagine they could since the mounts are metal and you are mounting them around metal. However, my mounts are actually too big for my bars so I made some rubber inserts to take up the extra room and they protect my bars and dampen any vibration at the same time. Here are a couple of pix.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no comparison. I've had both. I put a wind vest on mine last year and will never take it off.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
Who has used both a wind vest shield and hd shield and can make a comparison.

My hd shield has been sitting under the table for about two years now because I gave up on it because of the head shake it causes.

Lately I have been thinking about trying some other type of shield just to cut down on the wind on my chest. I would like something smaller and probably more aredynamic looking.

I would rather ride with no shield and fullface than anything that causes too much turbulance.

I am not set on windvest I just heard they are pretty good. Open to suggestions and pictures.
I've heard that "cars" are an excellent alternative to motorcycles when one is worried about wind hitting your chest.........

Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
I've heard that "cars" are an excellent alternative to motorcycles when one is worried about wind hitting your chest.........
LMAO! That's an excellent point. I've never been a windshield guy but I do like my WV enough to keep it on the bike when it's cooler out and, though it has been warming up, I haven't taken it off yet.

But when I read complaints about "side buffeting", etc. I kind of have to laugh too. The biggest cause of side buffeting in my experience has been wearing a jacket (i.e. leather) that doesn't allow air to pass through. Other than that, I expect to feel the wind on a bike. I can understand, however, the problem with air forced over a shield hitting you directly in the head beyond the normal wind in your face you get without one. But, like I said, with adjustability, that is avoidable. But if you think you are going to ride around on a bike in the open air and not feel any wind at all, take the cage instead. If it's uncomfortable enough out that I need a jacket like that on, I take the cage anyway. When I ride, the most I'll have on my body is a hoodie or sweatshirt that doesn't catch the wind. I'm not one that feels I have to wear "the uniform" when I'm on the bike. Hey I wear sneakers too so, whatever. I've been through the boots and all and have just found that a good pair of ****'s (can't believe this site actually asterisks out the brand name of my shoes) is more comfortable. At least I wear black ones though. I guess if I ever go down, I'll leave some skin and cotton on the pavement but so be it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

All the years I've been riding, 95% have been with no windshield. I tried a windshield a couple of years ago and didn't like it and now I am thinking of tring a small windshield out and seeing if I like it or not, but I should have know some ***hole would make some stupid *** comment about windshields are for cars. I didn't say anything about about being worried about wind on my chest either I was only asking a question.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the years I've been riding, 95% have been with no windshield. I tried a windshield a couple of years ago and didn't like it and now I am thinking of tring a small windshield out and seeing if I like it or not, but I should have know some ***hole would make some stupid *** comment about windshields are for cars. I didn't say anything about about being worried about wind on my chest either I was only asking a question.
you didn't say anything about wind on your chest? so this isn't a quote from your first post?

"Lately I have been thinking about trying some other type of shield just to cut down on the wind on my chest"

someone must have hijacked you userid or something...............LOL

sorry didn't mean to be an *******.............well actually I did but I'm still sorry :-)

Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what is right for YOU and you will be content. And are you 20 or muy macho?
I would like to kick the **** over me and NOT look through a windshield, as I do, with my stock HD add on windshields.This is a topic I have been thinking about lately - thank you hound from hell. Baskervilles?

Quick Reply: wind vest/ hd shield comparison?